|Da Brat Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 5 in|
|Date of Birth||April 14, 1974|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Da Brat is an American rapper and actress who quickly rose to prominence following her career debut in 1992. She had a solid start in the industry and made a successful album debut in 1994 with her debut album Funkdafied, which sold more than 1 million copies, making her the first female solo rapper to receive a ‘Platinum’ certification and the 2nd overall female rapper after Salt-N-Pepa.
Joliet, Illinois, United States
She attended Kenwood Academy. In 1992, she graduated from the Academy of Scholastic Achievement, a continuation charter school that caters to at-risk students.
- Others – LisaRaye McCoy (Half-Sister) (Actress, Former Model)
She is represented by William Morris Endeavor Entertainment, Talent and Literary Agency, Beverly Hills, California, United States.
5 ft 5 in or 165 cm
62 kg or 136.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Girlfriend / Spouse
She has dated –
- Allen Iverson – She was in a relationship with former basketball player Allen Iverson in the late 1990s.
- Trina (2004-2005)
- Jesseca Dupart (2020-Present) – She confirmed her relationship with the CEO and founder of Kaleidoscope Hair Products, Jesseca Dupart in March 2020. The couple got engaged in September 2021. They tied the knot on February 22, 2022, at the Horse Mansion in Fairburn, Georgia. In February 2023, the couple revealed that they were expecting their first child together. On July 6, 2023, Da Brat gave birth to a baby boy named True Legend Harris-Dupart. True was born at 8:30 pm and weighed 7lbs, 8oz at the time of his birth.
Race / Ethnicity
She is of African-American descent.
- Thick Lips
- Snub Nose
Da Brat Favorite Things
- Pets – Dogs
- Hobbies – Cooking, Cleaning
- Food – Tender Oxtails
- Singer – Michael Jackson
- Athlete – Michael Jordan
- TV Shows – Good Times, The Jeffersons, The Facts of Life, Diff’rent Strokes, and Family Ties
Source – US Magazine
Da Brat Facts
- In 1992, her biggest breakthrough was about to happen shortly after winning the grand prize in a local rap contest which was sponsored by Yo! MTV Raps at that time. She had the opportunity to meet the young rap duo, Kris Kross, as her prize for winning the contest. After they met, she was introduced to their producer Jermaine Dupri who then signed her to his So So Def label. There, her image was cultivated as a “female Snoop Doggy Dogg” and later became one of the first female “reality-based” rappers.
- Her stage name “Da Brat” was inspired by being a “spoiled only child”.
- Her debut album Funkdafied released in 1994 made it to the albums chart at the spot no. 11. It went ‘Platinum’ and reached the no. 1 spot in the singles chart and no. 6 on the Billboard Hot 100.
- In 1996, her 2nd full-length album Anuthatantrum was released. The album included a single called Ghetto Love which featured T-Boz of TLC.
- In the 1990s, she was more known for her featured appearances on the albums of other rappers and R&B singers rather than her own works.
- She was a rhyme contributor to the hip hop remix of Mariah Carey‘s mega-popular song track Always Be My Baby in 1996. In that same year, Brat made her feature film debut in Kazaam with Shaquille O’Neal.
- Mariah Carey is one of her best friends.
- In 2000, she released her 3rd full-length album Unrestricted which contained moderately successful song tracks such as That’s What I’m Looking For that peaked at U.S. no. 56 and What Chu Like that peaked at the U.S. no 26, featuring soul singer Tyrese.
- Brat eliminated her “gangsta” image and decided to follow the trend in popular music. In 2001, she pursued the same style and was then featured on remixes of other artists, hitting no. 1 on the Billboard Hot R&B/Hip Hop Singles chart alongside top-billed rapper Ludacris on Mariah Carey’s main remix Loverboy.
- In 2001, she appeared as Louise in Carey’s movie Glitter.
- In 2003, she released her 4th album titled Limelite, Luv & Niteclubz. Around the same time, she also appeared on the 4th season of VH1’s The Surreal Life.
Featured Image by Da Brat / Instagram