|Daniil Medvedev Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 6 in|
|Date of Birth||February 11, 1996|
Daniil Medvedev is a Russian professional tennis player who had achieved a career-high ATP singles ranking of world no. 4 on September 9, 2019. He’s well-recognized in the world of tennis and has compiled tons of wins since his professional debut in 2014. Some of his most notable achievements are ATP singles titles which include a Masters 1000 title at the 2019 Cincinnati Masters. Following his first match at the 2015 Kremlin Cup, he became a qualifier and made his ATP singles main draw debut at the 2016 Nice Open but lost in a match against Guido Pella in 3 sets. On that same year, he earned his first singles ATP World Tour win at the 2016 Ricoh Open after beating his opponent Horacio Zeballos in straight sets. In 2017, he reached his first ATP singles final and acquired his maiden Grand Slam win. Upon reaching the finals of the Chennai Open, he lost in a match against Roberto Bautista Agut in 2 sets. Amidst the downside, he still managed from 99 to 65 in the ATP rankings, giving him a new career-high ranking at the time. He had his maiden Grand Slam match win after beating the 5th seed and world’s no. 3 Stan Wawrinka for 4 sets during the first round.
After winning the match against Wawrinka which prevented him from completing his Grand Slam career, Medvedev lost to Ruben Bemelmans in the next round and was given 3 fines totaling $14, 500 for his conduct during the match. Medvedev started strong during the 2018 season after he became a qualifier for the Sydney International. He reached the final and won a match against Alex de Minaur. Though he made it to the quarterfinals of the Rotterdam Open, he lost the match against Andreas Seppi in 3 sets. Medvedev’s 2018 season ended with the most hardcourt match wins on the ATP Tour in a total of 38. He compiled the most titles on hard court tournaments during the season, tying the records with legends Roger Federer, Novak Djokovic, and Karen Khachanov. In 2019, Medvedev started strong and reached the finals of the Brisbane International. He won matches and defeated 3 top-five players on his way to the final. On top of his achievements for the first half of the year, he reached the Australian Open and was seeded in a Grand Slam event for the first time. He reached the round of 16 but was later defeated by Djokovic in 4 sets. He had notable wins in matches against the world’s best players including Stefanos Tsitsipas, Kei Nishikori, Dominic Thiem, Khachanov, Rafael Nadal, David Goffin, Hugo Dellien, Feliciano López, and Dominik Köpfer.
Daniil Sergeyevich Medvedev
Monte Carlo, Monaco
Medvedev went to the Moscow State Institute of International Relations to study Applied Economics and Commerce but later dropped out of school to better focus on tennis.
Professional Tennis Player
Daniil Medvedev is represented by ATP Tour, Inc. Sports Association, Florida, United States.
Right-Handed (Two Handed-Backhand)
6 ft 6 in or 198 cm
88 kg or 194 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Daniil Medvedev has dated –
- Daria Medvedev (2014-Present) – Daniil is married to his long-term partner Daria. In a report, it was said that the lovebirds were already together for 4 years before they had decided to settle down. They had officially tied the knot on September 12, 2018, and, the said wedding reportedly took place in Moscow, Russia.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Russian descent.
- Tall Height
- Square-shaped Jawline
Daniil Medvedev has done endorsement works for brands and companies such as –
- Lotto Sports
Best Known For
- His overall works and achievements as a professional tennis player
- His outstanding playing style and being dubbed as a tactical expert
First Tennis Match
In the 2015-16 season, Medvedev made his ATP main draw debut at the Kremlin Cup alongside Aslan Karatsev in the doubles event.
Daniil Medvedev Facts
- He has been compared to Jimmy Connors and Nikolay Davydenko.
- After quitting school to pursue his tennis career, he moved to Antibes, France with his family where he trained at the tennis academy.
- He is a known counterpuncher who uses off-speed shots to distract his opponents’ playing style.
- In 2019, he claimed his 3rd title for the year after defeating Borna Ćorić in straight sets.
- Medvedev made it to the quarterfinals of the Rosmalen Grass Court Championships in June 2017 and defeated the 6th seed Robin Haase and Thanasi Kokkinakis but eventually lost to Ivo Karlović in straight sets.
- In August 2018, he won his 2nd ATP title at the 2018 Winston-Salem Open after beating home favorite Steve Johnson in straight sets.
- He reached the 2018 Kremlin Cup semifinal but lost to Karen Khachanov. A week later, he made it to the semifinals at the ATP 500 Swiss Indoors event but lost to Roger Federer. Amidst a few losses, he still managed to reach a new career-high ranking of world no. 16 following the tournament with a loss against Federer.
- On top of his wins and losses in 2017, he was able to advance to his first ATP 500 quarterfinal after beating Nicolas Mahut and Thanasi Kokkinakis for the first 2 rounds but later lost the match against Grigor Dimitrov upon reaching the quarterfinals. A week later, he advanced to the semifinal of Eastbourne International but lost to Novak Djokovic.
- In the quarterfinals of his 2019 season, he defeated a continuous opponent, Wawrinka in 4 sets and became the first player representing Russia to reach the semifinals. Also, winning the match earned him a place at the ATP Finals, making him the first Russian man to qualify for the Finals as a non-alternate player next to Davydenko who won the title in 2009.
- Follow him on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Featured Image by si.robi / Flickr / CC BY-SA 2.0