|Danny Cipriani Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 1 in|
|Date of Birth||November 2, 1987|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Danny Cipriani is an English rugby union player best known for his career in the position of a fly-half/fullback for Gloucester in the 2018-2019 season for which he was named “Player of the Year” by the RPA (Rugby Players Association) in May 2019. He began his career in 2003 after he joined the Wasps Academy and made his debut in 2004 for the Wasps Under-21 and Wasps A team before he joined the 1st team around 2007 and remained there until May 2010 as a fly-half. He was then signed to Melbourne Rebels from Australia which caused turmoil and it wasn’t clear if he would be able to play in the 2011 Rugby World Cup for England if he moved to the southern hemisphere. Not only was Danny the 1st English international player to join an Australian club that competed in Super Rugby but he also helped them score their 1st ever win in the 2nd game against Brumbies after he scored 17 points. Unfortunately, his alleged drinking habit and poor defense led him to be left out of a lot of games in 2011 and he then signed a 3-year contract with Sale Sharks starting in the 2013-2014 season.
After he scored over 200 points and had 4 tries in the 1st 4 games at the LV= Cup, he was officially named the 2nd-highest points scorer during that season. He re-joined Wasps for the 2016-2017 and 2017-2018 season and had plenty of success before he joined Gloucester in 2018. Danny was also a part of England’s national rugby team starting with Under-16 team, then Under-19, before he began playing for the 1st team in March 2008 as a replacement for Jonny Wilkinson at fly-half position. Unfortunately, apart from 2015, when he scored a try with his 2nd touch in the Six Nations Championship against Italy, Danny was left out of the final squads in 2015 Rugby World Cup. He was also left out by his coach from the 1st elite player squad for the 2016 Six Nations. Furthermore, despite being reigning “Player of the Year” in 2019, he was surprisingly axed from the training for the 2019 Rugby World Cup and only trained 1 week out of 4 before they played a warm-up against Japan in mid-August 2019.
Daniel Jerome Cipriani
Roehampton, London, England, United Kingdom
Gloucester, Gloucestershire, England, United Kingdom
Danny attended a Wimbledon College prep school named Donhead, located in Merton, London, England, United Kingdom.
After his rugby talent was noticed and after he finished his Common Entrance Examinations, Danny moved to Whitgift School in Croydon, London, England, United Kingdom.
Rugby Union Player
- Father – Jay Cipriani
- Mother – Anne Lester
Danny Cipriani is represented by First Access Sports (Manager) in the United Kingdom.
10 – Wasps
6 ft 1 in or 185.5 cm
92 kg or 203 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Danny Cipriani has dated –
- Monica Irimia (2007) – In 2007, he dated the Romanian TV personality and singer Monica Irimia. Monica is best known as one half of the pop duo with her twin sister, named The Cheeky Girls. 6 years after they broke up, in 2013, she also went on to state to Now Magazine: “Danny can never be faithful to one woman. I like Kelly [Brook] a lot, but she shouldn’t be chasing around this airhead toyboy.”
- Larissa Summers (2007) – Glamour model Larissa Summers claimed she slept with Danny, which was reportedly the reason he broke up with Monica.
- Kelly Brook (2008-2013) – He began dating model Kelly Brook in 2008 when he was only 20 years old and she was 28 years old and they had an on-and-off relationship. In her 2013 autobiography, Kelly revealed that the final straw for their relationship was when he gave his number to a lap dancer in Las Vegas while they were on a holiday. Furthermore, even though they patched things up, she then discovered a plethora of flirty texts to other women and split. Danny, in response, in 2015 stated that it took him almost a year to recover from the severance of their romantic connection. He added that he had struggled with depression for 9 months but that he now felt more empathetic and that he saw a professional who helped him.
- Jasmine Waltz (2010, 2014-2015) – He dated actress and model Jasmine Waltz in 2010 during the 1st split with Kelly but they quickly called it quits. However, the pair reconnected in 2014 and she stated: “He’s a completely different man to the one I met four years ago. He put a lot of girls through a lot of s**t hopefully he can now turn it around.” However, she spoke too soon and they broke up in 2015. Jasmine was spotted trying to arrange a meeting with Danny in June 2017 but he rejected her because he wanted to keep a low profile due to all of the legal troubles he already had.
- Lindsay Lohan (2010) – In 2010, he dated socialite and child star, Lindsay Lohan. In fact, he introduced Jasmine to Lindsay and told Lindsay he was in love with Jasmine only to make her jealous which created hostility between 2 women. However, their relationship was short-lived.
- Jessica Lowndes (2011) – Danny dated Canadian actress Jessica Lowndes around June 2011.
- Katie Price (2011) – She had a brief encounter with Danny, whom she named Danny Chipolata in her book Love, Lipstic, and Lies (2013). She added that he was ‘lean’ in the ‘obvious’ department and that he could no longer hit the right spot on the rugby field, so he couldn’t hit ‘the spot’ on a woman either. Danny confirmed her words but said that he has no ill feelings towards her claims.
- Lara Bingle (2011) – He was in a relationship with fashion model Lara Bingle in 2011 and she even told Who Magazine that she has fallen in love. However, Danny ended things abruptly just weeks after the interview. This left Lara stunned and very disappointed but she later accepted that things just didn’t work out.
- Sophie Gradon (2013) – In 2013, he and model Sophie Gradon, also named Miss Newcastle and Miss Great Britain, were an item.
- Anna Kelle (2013) – Danny was in a brief relationship with adult/glamour model Anna Kelle in August 2013.
- Caggie Dunlop (2014) – He dated actress Caggie Dunlop starting in January 2014. They used to train together before he had to quit rugby temporarily due to an injury.
- Kirsty Gallacher (2015-2016) – In 2016, Danny broke up with TV presenter Kirsty Gallacher who was also 12 years older than him. There were speculations that besides the large age difference, he struggled with the fact that she had 2 children from previous relationships. She made an appearance on ITV’s Lorraine TV show in April 2016. During that interview, Kirsty stated that she only got stronger after they ended a 6-month relationship. However, she feared it affected her kids and realized it was her priority to take care of that.
- Nicole Appleton (2016) – It was rumored that he hooked up with Canadian musician Nicole Appleton in 2016.
- Caroline Flack (2019) – Despite starting a relationship with the host of Love Island TV show, Caroline Flack in July 2019, she was spotted with a tennis player Lewis Burton. It was then revealed that Danny and she split back in April.
Race / Ethnicity
Mixed (White, Black)
He is of English descent on his maternal side and of Afro-Trinidadian, Tobagonian, and Italian descent on his paternal side.
- Towering height
- Athletic physique
- Multiple tattoos
Danny Cipriani has endorsed brands such as NOCCO UK, A2 Milk, Eden Park, Alphakin, and Adidas.
He has posed shirtless for the Ink Not Mink anti-fur ad campaign for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) in 2014.
Best Known For
- His professional rugby player club career, playing for Wasps (2006–2010; 2016-2018), Melbourne Rebels (2011-2012), Sale Sharks (2012–2016), and Gloucester starting in 2018
- Starting his national career for his home country of England in 2008 and helping them win the match against Italy in the 2015 Six Nations competition with a score of 47 to 17
- His social media fanbase with more than 300k followers on Instagram and more than 200 followers on Twitter
First Rugby Match
Danny Cipriani made his club debut for Wasps against Bristol in December 2004 in the Powergen Cup at the age of 17.
As for his international career, Danny was the captain for the England Under-16 team and made his debut for the first team for England against Ireland on March 15, 2008, in the 2008 Six Nations Championship, which his team won with a score of 33-10.
First TV Show
Danny Cipriani made his first TV show appearance as ‘Himself’ in an episode of the sports game-show, A Question of Sport in April 2008.
Besides rugby, Danny also played junior football for Queens Park Rangers in his youth and was also a schoolboy cricket player for Oxfordshire and Berkshire, both counties in England. This led to the invite for him to play as a batsman at the Surrey County Cricket Club. Danny was also a good squash player and competed at the county level.
Danny Cipriani Favorite Things
- Smell – Coconut
- Guilty Pleasure – Lindt Chocolate
- Music Genre – R&B
- Sporting Heroes – Christian Cullen, Jonny Wilkinson, Michael Johnson (Athletics)
- Video Game – Pro Evolution Soccer
- TV Show – Entourage (2004-2011)
- Stadium – Twickenham
- Sports Motto – “Put it all in on the training field, and don’t take anything for granted. I personally want to be as good as I can be, and don’t want to leave anything to chance.”
Source – The Guardian, Telegraph, The Sun
Danny Cipriani Facts
- People that meet him rarely realize that his father is black because he has a light complexion. Danny’s parents split shortly after his birth and his dad went back to Trinidad and Tobago. Luckily, the two remained in touch.
- When he was 2 years old, he peed on his uncle’s back, even though he doesn’t remember it. His uncle kept teasing him about that throughout his grown-up life.
- Danny has a pug dog named Rocky.
- He cried watching The Notebook (2004).
- He is most scared of spiders.
- Danny hates people that are late.
- If he could have a superpower, it would be flying.
- If he could have a dinner party from his dreams, he would invite Floyd Mayweather, Eddie Murphy, Usain Bolt, Pablo Francisco, Oprah Winfrey, and Michael Jackson.
- He would like to be taller, even though he’s 6 ft 1 in or 185.5 cm tall.
- Danny would like to go back in time to the period of the 70s. To him, it just seemed like a fun time.
- Danny would like a song named Pretty Wings by Maxwell to be played at his funeral.
- If he could bring a dead person to life, it would be Michael Jackson.
- The person he admires the most is David Beckham for the way he came back after he was sent off in the 1998 World Cup.
- Danny played club rugby for the 1st time at Rosslyn Park Football Club. It was where he developed the love for the game.
- In May 2018, he had a fracture-dislocation of the right ankle and was subsequently ruled out of England’s tour of New Zealand in the following months. He came back on October 1, 2018, to play against Bath. Physicians described his recovery from an injury as remarkable with a timeline of about 6 weeks to 2 months ahead of the usual recovery period.
- He has a long history of “inappropriate behavior”. In March 2008, he was axed from the English squad. A paparazzi photograph showed him leaving a London nightclub at 12:30 A.M. which was against the rules.
- Danny had a collision with a taxi in June 2015 and was the one who was under the influence of alcohol. He paid an £8k fine and had his driving license taken away for a year and a half.
- In mid-August 2018, Danny was arrested in a Jersey nightclub. He was charged with larceny, assault on police, resisting arrest, and other things. Gloucester, his club, fined him £2k and he had to do 10 hours of community service as per court order. James Haskell defended him on social media stating that the case was social-media influenced by people who didn’t know all of the facts and still judged the situation.
- Follow him on Instagram and Twitter.
Featured Image by Danny Cipriani / Instagram