|Dave Grohl Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 0 in|
|Date of Birth||January 14, 1969|
Dave Grohl is an American music artist whose best contributions include being the drummer for Nirvana from 1990 to 1994 and the founder, primary songwriter, lead vocalist, and rhythm guitarist for Foo Fighters since 1994. He is a multi-instrumentalist along with being a singer, songwriter, director, and musician. Grohl has served as an inspiration to the coming generations of artists for constantly reinventing his music and craft throughout the decades. Famously known as the “Nicest man in all of rock music”, he has won praise from all quarters for his genuine warmth and affection towards his fans.
David Eric Grohl
Disco, Dr. G, Stinger, The Nicest Man In Rock, The Nicest Guy In Music, Hans Grohlo (Childhood nickname given by his parents)
Warren, Ohio, United States
Los Angeles, California, United States
After Grohl’s family shifted to Springfield, Virginia, he began attending Thomas Jefferson High School in his freshman year. He was chosen to be the vice president of his class and so, would play snippets of punk rock songs from Circle Jerks and Bad Brains before doing the morning announcements on the school intercom.
A year later, his mother got him admission at Bishop Ireton High School as he had started smoking cannabis. He repeated his first year and after finishing the second year, he was again transferred to Annandale High School. At the age of 17, in his junior year, he joined the hardcore punk band Scream as a drummer and decided to drop out of high school to tour with the band.
Singer, Songwriter, Musician, Director
- Father – James Harper Grohl (Newswriter) (Died in 2014)
- Mother – Virginia Jean (née Hanlon) (Teacher)
- Siblings – Lisa Grohl (Older Sister)
- Others – Alois Louis Grohl (Paternal Grandfather), Ruth Viola Bonebrake (Paternal Grandmother), John Hanlon (Maternal Grandfather), Violet Mae (Maternal Grandmother)
Dave, like other members of his band Foo Fighters, is represented by the London-based agency, MBC PR.
Alternative Rock, Punk Rock, Heavy Metal, Hard Rock, Grunge
Vocals, Guitar, Bass Guitar, Drums, Trombone
- RCA Records
- Capitol Records
- DGC Records
- Dischord Records
- Sub Pop
- Sammich Records
6 ft or 183 cm
78 kg or 172 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Dave Grohl has dated –
- Jennifer Youngblood (1993-1997) – Dave’s first marriage took place to photographer Jennifer Youngblood in 1994 after meeting the year before in 1993. However, after spending around 4 years together, they got divorced in 1997.
- Louise Post (1996-1997) – Louise Post, vocalist for the alternative rock band Veruca Salt, and Grohl hooked up at the end of 1996 and were together till January 1997.
- Winona Ryder (1997) – It was rumored that actress Winona Ryder and Dave Grohl were involved together in 1997.
- Tina Basich (1998) – Musician Tina Basich had an encounter with Grohl in 1998.
- Kari Wuhrer (1999-2002) – Actress Kari Wuhrer and Dave began dating in 1999. After staying together for 3 years, the couple split up in 2002.
- Melissa Auf der Maur (2000-2001) – Dave Grohl hit it off with Canadian bassist Melissa Auf der Maur and the two began dating from September 2000 to February 2001.
- Christina Aguilera (2002) – The Foo Fighters frontman was rumored to have hooked up with singer Christina Aguilera in March 2002.
- Jordyn Blum (2002-Present) – Film and TV producer Jordyn Blum met Grohl in April 2002. They dated for a year and got hitched on August 2, 2003. Their marriage has produced 3 daughters – Violet Maye (b. April 15, 2006), Harper Willow (b. April 17, 2009), and Ophelia Saint (b. August 1, 2014). Violet is named after Dave’s maternal grandmother.
Race / Ethnicity
Dave has Irish, German, and Slovak ancestry.
- Long hair with a beard
- Gruff vocals
- Multiple tattoos all over his body
- His approachability and warmth with fans
- Enlarged nostrils
Dave Grohl has done endorsement work for the following brands –
- Apple (2018)
- Visit Seattle (2018)
- Global Cool Foundation
In February 2023, Dave appeared in Crown Royal‘s 2023 “Super Bowl” commercial.
Dave was raised as a Roman Catholic.
However, his present religious beliefs are uncertain.
Best Known For
- Being the long-standing drummer of the iconic grunge band Nirvana from 1990 till the time of Cobain’s death in 1994
- His Grammy award-winning rock band Foo Fighters which has received the prestigious award for ‘Best Rock Album’ 4 times till 2019. The winning albums are There Is Nothing Left to Lose in 2000, One By One in 2003, Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace in 2007, and Wasting Light in 2011.
- His unparalleled legacy as a drummer and songwriter
- With Nirvana – Dave’s first album with the rock band was Nevermind, which was released on September 24, 1991. The album received unprecedented success and was listed at the top spot in the Rolling Stone’s 2019 list of “50 Greatest Grunge Albums.”
- With Foo Fighters – The band released their debut album, aptly titled Foo Fighters, on July 4, 1995. The album was declared ‘Platinum’ by January 1996 and till 2019, is the second most successful album in the band’s history.
- With Them Crooked Vultures – Grohl and his bandmates released their first album in November 2009, called Them Crooked Vultures.
Grohl made his theatrical film debut in the 1992 documentary 1991: The Year Punk Broke along with his band members from Nirvana.
First TV Show
In 1990, he made his TV show debut by appearing as himself on The Safest S#x of All episode in MTV’s documentary mini-series S*x in the 90’s.
Dave Grohl likes to begin his mornings with a cup of coffee and breakfast. For the first meal of the day, he goes for a full breakfast on most days but can also switch it up with muesli and fruits on other days. Lunch, for him, usually consists of Mexican food.
In the way of fitness, he loves to go swimming whenever possible and enjoys skeet shooting as well.
Dave Grohl Favorite Things
- Meal – Bangers (sausages) and beans
- Gun – 12 gauge
- Drummer Joke – “How can you tell a drummer’s at the door? He doesn’t know when to come in.”
- Spice Girls Song – Two Become One (1996)
- Track By Paul McCartney – Blackbird (1968)
- Album By His Band Foo Fighters – There Is Nothing Left To Lose (1999)
- Dr. Seuss Book – If I Ran The Rainforest
- Song Of The 2010s – Gangnam Style by Psy (2012)
- Drink – Brennivin Icelandic schnapps
- Sport While Growing Up – Lacrosse
- Support Band – The Struts
- Soloist – Jimmy Page
- Album Of All Time – Soundtrack from the film Paris, Texas (1984)
- Thing To Do In Auckland – Eating at Fatima’s (Middle Eastern restaurant)
- Band – Rush, Killing Joke
- Punk Rock Drummer – Chuck Biscuits (Canadian drummer for Black Flag and Circle Jerks)
- Venue To Play At – Wembley
- Indiana Jones Movie – Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)
- Metal Vocalists From the 1980s – Lemmy from Motörhead, Conrad Lant from Venom, King Diamond, Scott Weinrich, Denis Bélanger from Voivod, Max Cavalera from Sepultura
- Beatle Member – George Harrison
- Heavy Metal Band – Sepultura
Source – NME, Wikipedia, Louder, Us Weekly, Radio X, Tone Deaf, The New Zealand Herald, Rolling Stone, Entertainment Weekly, Reddit, Wikipedia, IMDb
Dave Grohl Facts
- He attended his very first gig at the age of 2. He saw The Jackson 5 performing at the Ohio State Fair.
- Grohl’s parents got divorced when he was 7 and he was subsequently brought up by his mother.
- He was introduced to punk rock by his cousin sister Tracy during the summer vacations. His first punk rock concert was watching Naked Raygun play at The Cubby Bear as a 13-year-old.
- He was convinced of being a musician after listening to The Edgar Winter Group‘s instrumental song Frankenstein (1972).
- The very first instrument that Grohl mastered was the trombone. He taught himself to play guitar at the age of 12. While studying in high school, he learned to play the drums on his own by listening to punk rock music and bands like Rush.
- John Bonham, the drummer of Led Zeppelin, had a huge influence on Dave’s drumming style. He eventually got a tattoo of John’s three-rings symbol on his wrist.
- Dave won his first Grammy Award with the Foo Fighters for their 3rd studio album, There Is Nothing Left to Lose (1999). He had mentioned in his subsequent interviews that he would use his Grammy as a doorstop for his bedroom door but that now it is placed on a shelf.
- In the late 1990s, after Grohl’s band Scream had disbanded mid-tour, he was asked by his good friend Buzz Osborne to audition for Nirvana, who were actively looking for a new drummer. Kurt Cobain and Krist Novoselic were very impressed with him and took him on as a full-time drummer immediately.
- During his initial time with Nirvana, Grohl recorded his own music and released a cassette album titled Pocketwatch with the pseudonym “Late!” in 1992.
- On April 10, 2014, Nirvana (members Grohl, Cobain, and Novoselic) were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. The band received the distinction 20 years after Cobain’s untimely death.
- After Nirvana disbanded, Grohl briefly considered drumming for bands like Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers and Pearl Jam. He eventually turned down the offers and decided to form the Foo Fighters, initially, with Pat Smear on the guitar, Nate Mendel on the bass and William Goldsmith on the drums.
- He decided on the band’s unique name in reference to the UFOs which were termed ‘Foo Fighters’ during World War II. In hindsight, he has mentioned that had he been able to predict the band’s future, he would have chosen a better name.
- His birthplace Warren, Ohio, has dedicated a roadway after Grohl. The David Grohl Alley in downtown Warren is covered with murals, dedicated to him, which are painted by local artists. Also, the town center features a pair of 902 lb drumsticks to commemorate his musical legacy. It was unveiled in 2012 and is the recipient of a Guinness World Record.
- From October 26, 2002, to March 1, 2003, Dave’s songs topped the Billboard Modern Rock chart for 17 out of 18 successive weeks. He achieved this milestone as his songs from 3 different groups, You Know You’re Right by Nirvana, All My Life by Foo Fighters, and No One Knows by Queens of the Stone Age (guest appearance as a drummer) was at the top of the charts with a 1-week respite between the last two songs.
- Grohl broke his leg after falling off the stage while playing at Gothenburg, Sweden, on June 12, 2015. He decided to continue the North American leg of the tour by seating himself on an elevated throne to rest his broken leg. When Axl Rose of Guns N’ Roses suffered a similar mishap on April 1, 2016, Grohl lent him his throne.
- He formed a new music group called Them Crooked Vultures in 2009. Other members of the band include Josh Homme of Queens of the Stone Age and John Paul Jones from Led Zeppelin.
- As a part of the “Rockin’ 1000” project, Foo Fighters’ song Learn to Fly was performed by 1000 participants in Cesena, Italy. When his band performed in Cesena, Grohl invited some members of the project to perform with the band onstage.
- During a BBC interview in 2009, Grohl had confessed to doing LSD and marijuana in his 20s but he also revealed that he had never tried hard drugs like cocaine and heroin.
- In 2010, Dave joined the long list of rock stars who have done voice cameos for Cartoon Network’s show Metalocalypse. On the heavy metal parody show, he voiced the character of Abdule Malik, a Syrian dictator, in the season 3 finale episode titled ‘Doublebookedklok’.
- Sound City is the directorial debut of Grohl, which was released in 2013. The documentary chronicles the history of the Sound City Studios where the iconic album Nevermind was recorded among many others. The famous studio, located in Van Nuys in California, shut its operations in 2011.
- Foo Fighters were the last musical guest to appear on the final episode of the Late Show with David Letterman in May 2015. The band played Everlong, which is Letterman’s favorite song and share a close bond with the late-night talk show host.
- In 2012, Dave’s net worth was estimated to be at $260 million. He was touted as the 3rd wealthiest drummer in the whole world right after Ringo Starr and Phil Collins.
- Co-author of the Classic Rock Drummers, Ken Micallef has enlisted Grohl as among the most influential rock musicians of the past 2 decades.
- Considering Grohl’s success, it is surprising to know that he cannot read sheet music and plays music by ear only.
- He is a coffee addict and is known to consume 6 cups of coffee in the morning. In 2009, he suffered a caffeine overdose and was rushed to the hospital after complaining of chest pains.
- Dave has supported LGBT rights since the 1990s. His band Nirvana performed at a benefit concert to raise money against Oregon Ballot Measure 9 in 1992.
- His first solo appearance on the Rolling Stone cover took place on December 4, 2014.
- While touring in Australia with the Foo Fighters in 2000, Dave was arrested for driving his scooter under the influence in Queensland. He had to pay a fine of $400 and his Australian driving permit was suspended for 3 months following this incident.
- Grohl has many tattoos on his body to demonstrate his musical influences. Amongst them are the inscription FF (for Foo Fighters) at the back of his neck, 3 designs inspired by Led Zeppelin, several tribal designs on his upper arm, chest, shoulders, and forearms. Lastly, a small heart and halo on his left middle finger.
- In February 2022, Dave revealed that he had hearing damage tinnitus in his left ear.
- Follow his band Foo Fighters on Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, and Facebook.
Featured Image by Fraser Reid / Wikimedia / CC BY 2.0