|David O. Russell Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 11 in|
|Date of Birth||August 20, 1958|
David O. Russell is a prominently known American film director, screenwriter, and producer who has directed a number of well-known films including The Fighter (2010), Silver Linings Playbook (2012), and American Hustle (2013).
David Owen Russell
Manhattan, New York, United States
Santa Monica, California, United States
Russell studied at Mamaroneck High School.
Later, in 1981, David graduated with a Bachelor of Arts major in English and political science from Amherst College.
Film Director, Screenwriter, Producer
- Father – Bernard Russell (Vice President of Sales)
- Mother – Maria Russell (Secretary)
- Others – Frank Muzio (Maternal Grandfather), Philomena Brancata (Maternal Grandfather)
David is represented by Kanzeon Corp.
5 ft 11 in or 180.5 cm
98 kg or 216 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
David has dated –
- Janet Grillo (1992–2007) – He and Janet have a son named Matthew Antonio Grillo Russell.
- Holly Davis (2007–Present) – David and Holly adopted a son named Leo Russell.
Race / Ethnicity
He has Ashkenazi Jewish ancestry on his father’s side and Italian ancestry on his mother’s side.
- He sports a pair of rectangular reading glasses.
David O. Russell Favorite Things
- Films – Taxi Driver (1976), Chinatown (1974), Shampoo (1975)
David O. Russell Facts
- He was brought up in a middle-class household in Larchmont, New York in a household of atheists.
- David was only 13 years old when he made his first film while using a Super 8 film camera.
- He was said to be a class rebel in high school.
- Despite having found his interest in film, Russell wanted to be a writer during his high school years. He even went as far as creating a newspaper and would write short stories too.
- After completing his graduation, David moved to Nicaragua where he taught in a Sandinista literacy program. While there, he also took part in various manual labor work such as waitering, bartending, and catering.
- Russell was a political activist in the past.
- He once directed a documentary that was based on Panamanian immigrants in Boston. That in turn got him the post of a production assistant on a series called Smithsonian World that aired on PBS.
- Both of his parents had worked for Simon & Schuster in the past.
- He directed his debut theatrical film called Spanking the Monkey in 1994. The film featured the likes of actors Jeremy Davies, Alberta Watson, Carla Gallo, and Benjamin Hendrickson.
- David was on the board of organization at the Ghetto Film School in the past.
- Russell has worked with a number of well-known actors including Mark Wahlberg, Jennifer Lawrence, Bradley Cooper, Robert De Niro, Christian Bale, and Amy Adams.
- David is a huge supporter of mental illness treatment and aid as well as Autism research.
- Russell has been nominated more than once for an Oscar, Golden Globe, and BAFTA. He won his first BAFTA Film Award for “Best Adapted Screenplay” in 2013 for his work in the film Silver Linings Playbook (2012).
- He has directed commercials for various brands including KFC.
- Some of his most notable comedy film works include Spanking the Monkey (1994), Flirting with Disaster (1996), Three Kings (1999), and I Heart Huckabees (2004).
Featured Image By Georges Biard / Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 3.0