|Dennis Quaid Quick Info|
|Date of Birth||April 9, 1954|
Dennis Quaid is a successful actor with many talents. He is well known for his roles in Breaking Away, The Right Stuff, The Parent Trap, Frequency, Traffic, The Rookie, The Day After Tomorrow, Vantage Point, Footloose, Soul Surfer, A Dog’s Purpose, and I Can Only Imagine. He is also the lead singer and rhythm guitarist of the band Dennis Quaid and The Sharks. Besides that, Dennis is an avid golfer with a passion for fitness.
Dennis William Quaid
Houston, Texas, United States
He divides his time between –
- Los Angeles, California, United States
- Montana, Texas, United States
Dennis Quaid studied at Paul W. Horn Elementary School in Bellaire and Pershing Middle School in Houston. While in Bellaire High School, he learned Mandarin and dance.
Later, he attended the University of Houston and studied drama under coach Cecil Pickett. He also studied ballet at the university. However, Dennis soon dropped out and relocated to Hollywood to pursue his dream of becoming an actor.
Actor, Producer, Director, Singer, Writer
- Father – William Rudy Quaid (Electrician)
- Mother – Juanita B. Quaid (Real Estate Agent)
- Siblings – Randy Quaid (Older Brother) (Actor)
- Others – Evi Quaid (Sister-In-Law), Amanda Quaid (Niece), Buddy Quaid (Half-Brother), Brandy Quaid (Half-Sister), Bo Brinkman (Cousin), Corbett Tuck (Cousin), Dakota Brinkman (Cousin)
Dennis Quaid is managed by –
- George Freeman, Agent, William Morris Agency, Beverly Hills, California, United States
- Lisa Kasteler, Publicist, Wolf Kasteler Van Iden & Associates, Beverly Hills, California, United States
- Tom Hansen or Tom McGuire, Attorneys, Hansen, Jacobson, Teller, Hoberman, Newman, Warren, Sloane & Richman, Beverly Hills, California, United States
Rock N Roll, Country-Soul
6 ft or 183 cm
80 kg or 176 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Dennis Quaid has dated –
- P.J. Soles – Dennis met actress P.J. Soles while filming Our Winning Season (1978). The couple got married shortly after that in 1978. However, things did not work out between them and they separated in 1983.
- Lea Thompson (1983-1989) – In 1983, Dennis began a relationship with his co-star, from the film Jaws 3-D (1983), Lea Thompson. The couple was in a live-in relationship and they were also engaged for a while before calling it quits in 1989.
- Meg Ryan (1988-2001) – In 1988, Dennis fell in love with actress Meg Ryan who was also his co-star in the thriller, O.A. (1988). Eventually, the couple tied the knot on Valentine’s Day on February 14, 1991. They were soon blessed with a son named Jack Henry Quaid (born April 24, 1992). However, the star couple felt the pressure of comparison and Dennis felt overshadowed by his wife’s fame. They finalized their divorce on July 16, 2001. Later, in an interview with Today, he admitted that his relationship with Meg Ryan was the most successful out of all his other relationships.
- Andie MacDowell (2001) – Dennis had an affair with actress Andie MacDowell in 2001.
- Shanna Moakler (2001)
- Kimberly Buffington (2003-2018) – In 2003, Dennis started a relationship with a real estate agent from Austin, Texas, Kimberly Buffington. A mutual friend had introduced them at a dinner in Austin, Texas and they tied the knot in Dennis’ ranch in Paradise Valley, Montana. The couple was blessed with twins, Thomas Boone and Zoe Grace, born through a surrogate in Santa Monica, California on November 8, 2007. Sadly, their marriage started to crumble. After a series of divorce cases being filed and reconciliations, the couple finally settled their divorce on April 27, 2018.
- Santa Auzina (2016-2019) – In 2016, Dennis started a relationship with Latvia-born model, Santa Auzina. She is half his age and the pair had been spotted together at dinner dates and holidays in Hawaii. The couple broke up in 2019.
- Laura Savoie (2019-Present) – On October 21, 2019, he announced his engagement with doctoral student Laura Savoie. Their wedding was scheduled to take place on April 4, 2020, but was delayed due to the COVID-19 pandemic. They later got married on June 2, 2020, in Santa Barbara.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of English, Irish, Scots-Irish, and Cajun (French) descent.
Salt & pepper
- Long chin
- Wide grin
Dennis Quaid has done endorsement work for brands like –
- Visa Credit Card (June 2007)
- Olympus (2005)
- Esurance Insurance Company (2018)
He was raised in a Baptist family.
Best Known For
- His wide variety of roles in movies including Breaking Away (1979), The Right Stuff (1983), The Parent Trap (1998), Frequency (2000), Traffic (2000), The Rookie (2002), The Day After Tomorrow (2004), Vantage Point (2008), The Express (2008), Legion (2010), Footloose (2011), Soul Surfer (2011), A Dog’s Purpose (2017), and I Can Only Imagine (2018)
- Being the lead singer of his band, Dennis Quaid and The Sharks. The band has performed various original songs like Spill the Wine and Gloria.
As a Singer
He has written and performed songs for numerous of the films that he has starred in including The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia (1981), Tough Enough (1983), and The Big Easy (1986).
Dennis has also worked on some original hit singles like Spill the Wine with his band, Dennis Quaid and The Sharks.
In 1975, he made his theatrical film debut as Bellhop in the action drama film, Crazy Mama. However, he was uncredited for his role.
In 1977, he made his credited theatrical film debut in the fantasy drama film, I Never Promised You a Rose Garden.
As a voice actor, Dennis made his theatrical film debut as the voice of Roven in the animated action-adventure film, Battle for Terra, in 2007.
First TV Show
In 1977, he made his first TV show appearance as Scott Martin in the crime drama series, Baretta.
As a voice actor, he made his TV show debut in the documentary series, Freedom: A History of US.
Dennis Quaid believes in staying proactive and getting involved in some physical activity one way or the other. When he was younger, he used to run and do a lot of boxing. With age, he has shifted from running to cycling. However, he still hits the gym and works out with weights and does sit-ups. He also practices yoga.
As for his diet, he follows a strict diet of lean meats, vegetables, and fruits.
Dennis Quaid Favorite Things
- Director – David Lean
- Place – Home which could be any place he can feel at peace in
- Movie He Made – The Right Stuff (1983)
- Book – The Bible
Dennis Quaid Facts
- During his performances with his band, Dennis Quaid and The Sharks, he prefers to play bare feet so he can feel more relaxed just like he feels while playing in his living room.
- He loves playing golf and is a one-handicap golfer.
- He is a licensed pilot and owns a twin-engine light jet of Cessna Citation 500 series.
- In 2005, Golf Digest magazine named him as the top golfer in the “Hollywood set”.
- On November 16, 2005, he received the Star of the Hollywood Walk of Fame at 7018 Hollywood Boulevard in Hollywood.
- In March 2005, he was added to the Texas Film Hall of Fame in Austin, Texas.
- In the mid-1990s, Dennis battled anorexia which resulted out of his preparation for the role of Doc Holliday in Wyatt Earp (1994).
- He is left-handed.
- He is a fan of the professional baseball team Houston Astros.
- On November 18, 2007, his newborn twins were accidentally given a drug overdose which resulted in admitting them in an intensive care unit in a Los Angeles-area hospital.
- He has appeared on the music videos for Bonnie Raitt’s “Thing Called Love” and Jerry Lee Lewis’ “Great Balls Of Fire”.
- In 1998, he directed the TV movie, Everything That Rises.
- He has worked as a producer on various levels such as for various TV series, The Art of More and Vegas (2012-2013), and TV movies, Everything That Rises (1998) and Blue Angels: Around the World at the Speed of Sound (1994).
- He has won numerous awards for his role in the film Far from Heaven (2002) including the New York Film Critics Circle Award (2002) and Chicago Film Critics Association (2003) for Best Supporting Actor.
- Quaid has been associated with many charity organizations and events including the annual Dennis Quaid Charity Weekend, held in Austin from 2002 till 2007, and International Hospital for Children in New Orleans.
- He wanted to become a musician before taking up acting.
- He once wanted to be an astronomer as he was fascinated with the stars.
- His biggest pet peeve is pettiness.
- He loves watermelon.
- At 12, he worked as a veterinarian’s assistant.
- His first celebrity crush was Donna Reed.
- Visit his band’s official website @dennisquaidandthesharks.com.
- Dennis Quaid does not have a social media account.
Featured Image by Gordon Correll / Flickr / CC BY-SA 2.0