|Diego Schwartzman Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 7 in|
|Date of Birth||August 16, 1992|
Diego Schwartzman is an Argentinian professional tennis player who won his very first title in 2010 at the Bolivia F3 Futures and went onto winning several other Futures titles. His wins had carried his ranking all the way to #11 place in the world in June 2018. Diego is the shortest Jewish tennis player to ever make to the top 100 tennis players list. Apart from his rocketing tennis career, he has a huge social media fan base with more than 300k followers on Instagram.
Diego Sebastián Schwartzman
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Professional Tennis Player
- Father – Ricardo Schwartzman
- Mother – Silvana Schwartzman
- Siblings – Natali Schwartzman (Older Sister) (Lawyer), Andres Schwartzman (Older Brother) (Travel Agent), Matias Schwartzman (Older Brother) (Computer Programmer)
He is represented by Mariano Ink of Exxia Sport Management.
Right-Handed (Two-Handed Backhand)
5 ft 7 in or 170 cm
65 kg or 143.5 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
- Being into sports, he is considered little short
- Broad nose
He has not done endorsement work for any brand yet.
Best Known For
- Having won numerous Futures titles such as Bolivia F3 Futures (2010) and Chile F14 Futures (2011)
- Winning against several top players in the world such as Dominic Thiem, Marin Čilić, and Kevin Anderson
First Tennis Match
Diego Schwartzman played his first tennis match against Bruno Luciano Mazziotti of Argentina during Argentina F7 Futures tournament in July 2008. Diego had lost the match.
First TV Show
Apart from the broadcast of his tennis matches, Diego Schwartzman made his TV show debut as himself on the news talk show AM – Antes del mediodía in 2014.
Diego has been trained by former professional tennis players Juan Ignacio Chela and Martiniano Orazi.
Diego Schwartzman Favorite Things
- Surface – Clay
Source – ITF
Diego Schwartzman Facts
- In the past, he and his family moved from Germany to Argentina as his tennis career started to develop.
- Diego is a big fan of football sensation Lionel Messi.
- He started taking part in the sport of tennis at the age of 7.
- He is considered to be of celebrity stature amongst the Jewish people.
- Diego was born in a family where money was scarce and in order to support his future in tennis, his father used to make bracelets and his mother sold them at every tournament he played, in order to cover his traveling expenses.
- At the age of 16, he got his big break into the game of tennis after an unidentified sponsor offered to help him.
- He won his first Futures title at the age of 17.
- In 2014, Schwartzman played against Roger Federer at the French Open. However, he lost to him.
- In 2014, he won his first ATP Challenger Tour and was ranked at #61 in the world by the end of the year.
- In 2015, Diego made it to the semifinals in the 2015 Istanbul Open beating several top players like Jürgen Melzer and Roger Federer in the first set. However, he lost to Roger in the final set.
- In 2016, Diego’s determination earned him a win at the 2016 Istanbul Open for the singles title after he defeated Grigor Dimitrov, who was ranked at #3 place in the world.
- In 2017, he lost a match to Rafael Nadal in the quarterfinals in Monte Carlo. After the match ended, Rafael presented him with his match shirt. This was considered a very rare thing to happen in the sport of tennis.
- In 2017, he was the only Jewish player to be ranked amongst the top 100 players at that time.
- Diego was considered to be one of the shortest players to ever make it to the Pro Tennis Tour.
- In 2017, JTA crowned him with the title of being the best Jewish tennis player in the world.
- Argentine footballer Juan Roman Riquelme is his idol.
- He is often considered as a resemblance to David Ferrer for his height and dedication.
- Follow him on Instagram and Twitter.
Featured Image by Diego Schwartzman / Instagram