|DJ Screw Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 10 in|
|Date of Birth||July 20, 1971|
|Date of Death||November 16, 2000|
DJ Screw was an American hip hop DJ, rapper, and musician who is considered a pioneer of the “Chopped and screwed” music genre. Also, he was the leader of Screwed Up Click, an American hip hop collective based in Houston, Texas. DJ Screw’s discography consists of albums like 3 ‘n the Mornin’: Part One, Soldiers United For Cash, 3 ‘N The Mornin’ (Part Two) [Blue], The Legend, 3 ‘n the Mornin’: Part Two [Red], All Work No Play, Disc 2 of SPM’s Power Moves The Table, All Work No Play, Vol. 2, and All Screwed Up, Vol. II.
Robert Earl Davis Jr.
He was born on July 20, 1971.
On November 16, 2000, DJ Screw was found dead inside his recording studio in the 8100 block of Commerce Park Drive in Houston, Texas, United States. He was 29 years old at that time and his coroner reports confirmed that he died of a codeine overdose in addition to mixed drug intoxication.
Smithville, Bastrop County, Texas, United States
DJ Screw had taken piano lessons.
Disc Jockey, Rapper, Musician
- Father – Robert Earl Davis Sr. (Long-haul Truck Driver)
- Mother – Ida May Deary
- Siblings – He had an older maternal half-sister.
Chopped and Screwed, Southern Hip Hop, Gangsta Rap, Psychedelic Hip Hop
Vocals, Turntables, Sampler, TR808
Screwed Up, Bigtyme, Wreckshop
5 ft 10 in or 178 cm
95 kg or 209.5 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
His chopped and screwed DJ technique
DJ Screw Facts
- Initially, he wanted to become a truck driver like his father. However, after watching the 1984 hit breakdancing-themed musical film Breakin’ and discovering his mother’s turntable, DJ Screw got inclined towards music.
- He used to buy records and would spin with his friend Trey Adkins, who would rhyme.
- Trey Adkins once stated that if Robert Earl didn’t like a record, he would deface it with a screw. One day Adkins asked him, “Who do you think you are, DJ Screw?”. That’s how DJ Screw got his stage name.
- DJ Screw was 12 years old when he started DJing in 1983.
- He served as the leader of Screwed Up Click and the collective other notable members included Big Hawk, Big Mello, Big Moe, Big Pokey, the Botany Boyz, E.S.G., Fat Pat, Lil’ Flip, Lil’ Keke, Lil’ O, and Z-Ro.
- His funeral took place at Mount Pilgrim Baptist Church in his hometown of Smithville, Texas.
- Over the years, DJ Screw’s music had found a cult following of listeners who identified themselves as the “screwheads”.
Featured Image by screwville__series / Instagram