|Eric Clapton Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 9¾ in|
|Date of Birth||March 30, 1945|
Eric Clapton, CBE is a renowned English guitarist, songwriter, and singer. He specializes in playing rock and blues music and is one of the most influential and most important guitarists of his time. Clapton is the recipient of many Grammys and was ranked 2nd in Rolling Stone’s “100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time”.
Eric’s first band was The Roosters. He was 17 when he joined it in 1963. He has served as a member of famous bands such as The Yardbirds, The Bluesbreakers, Cream, Blind Faith, Delaney, Bonnie and Friends, and Derek and the Dominos.
Eric Patrick Clapton
Eric, Slowhand, God
Ripley, Surrey, England
Dublin, Ohio, United States
Clapton attended the St. Bede’s Secondary Modern School and Hollyfield School in Surbiton.
He then joined Kingston College of Art in 1961 but was dismissed at the end of his academic year due to the lack of progress.
Musician, singer, songwriter, record producer
- Father – Edward Walter Fryer (Soldier)
- Mother – Patricia Molly Clapton
- Others – Brian (Half-Brother), Cheryl (Half-Sister) Heather (Half-Sister), Rose Amelia Mitchell (Maternal Grandmother), Reginald Cecil Clapton (Maternal Grandfather), Jack Clapp (Maternal Step-Grandfather), Frank MacDonald (Stepfather) (Soldier), Edward Fryer (Paternal Grandfather)
Polydor, Atco, RSO, Warner Bros., Duck, Reprise, Surfdog Records
5 ft 9¾ in or 177 cm
77 kg or 170 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Eric Clapton’s name has been linked with –
- Betty Davis (1971)
- Pattie Boyd (1979-1989) – Eric married former English model and photographer Pattie Boyd Harrison on March 27, 1979. Their relationship led to divorce in 1989 due to infidelity issues and domestic violence.
- Yvonne Kelly (1984) – He was in a relationship with AIR Studios Montserrat’s manager Yvonne Kelly in 1984. Although married, both were cheating on their respective partners and had a daughter in January 1985, Ruth Kelly Clapton. However, her existence was secret until 1991.
- Lory Del Santo (1988) – He had an extramarital affair with the Italian model, actress, and TV personality, Lory Del Santo. They had a son, named Conor, who was born on August 21, 1986 and died in 1991 at the age of 4 after falling from the window of the 53rd floor of a Manhattan apartment building.
- Sharon Stone (1996)
- Sheryl Crow (1997-1998)
- Melia McEnery (1998-Present) – He met 22-year-old Melia McEnery, an administrative assistant in Ohio in 1998 and began dating her. He married her in January 2002 at St Mary Magdalene church. Their daughters are Julie Rose (b. June 13, 2001), Ella May (b. January 14, 2003), and Sophie Belle (b. February 1, 2005).
Race / Ethnicity
He has English ancestry.
In 1988, Eric Clapton appeared in a print advertisement as well as a TV commercial for the Anheuser-Busch beer Michelob.
He was also featured in a TV commercial for Rolex Watches in 2006 and MyTouch cell phone from T-Mobile in 2009.
Eric Clapton Favorite Things
- Musicians – Freddie King, B.B. King, Muddy Waters, Buddy Guy
Source – Official Site
Eric Clapton Facts
- Eric grew up in a musical household. His uncle and mother listened to big bands. His grandmother played piano. His father also played piano in various bands in Surrey.
- Eric was raised by his maternal grandparents and he considers them as his parents and his mother as his sister.
- He had a half-brother named Brian who died in a road accident at the age of 26 in 1974.
- In 1962, Eric’s grandfather helped him purchase his first electric double cutaway Kay guitar.
- Before his music career, Eric worked as a laborer (a plasterer and master bricklayer) at building sites with his grandfather.
- His band Cream which, apart from him, consisted of Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker was considered as the most influential rock group of the modern era.
- He has faced problems in his career due to issues in his personal life such as romantic longings, drug and alcohol addiction in the 1970s.
- Eric hates the way he sings.
- Clapton has also apologized publicly praising Enoch Powell in the past and said it was because of drug and alcohol addictions.
Featured Image by John Bauld / Flickr / CC BY 2.0