|Fumio Kishida Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 10 in|
|Date of Birth||July 29, 1957|
Fumio Kishida is a Japanese politician who started serving as the Prime Minister of Japan and president of the Liberal Democratic Party (LDP) in 2021. From 2012 to 2017, he served as the Minister for Foreign Affairs and chaired the LDP Policy Research Council from 2017 to 2020. He was also appointed as acting Minister of Defense in 2017.
岸田文雄 (Kishida Fumio)
Shibuya, Tokyo, Japan
Fumio Kishida attended P.S. 013 Clement C. Moore elementary school in the Elmhurst neighborhood of Queens, New York. He also studied at Kōjimachi Elementary School and Kōjimachi Junior High School.
Afterward, Fumio Kishida graduated from Kaisei Academy. Then, he wanted to get enrolled at the University of Tokyo but after facing several rejections from the university, he joined Waseda University where he studied Law and graduated in 1982.
- Father – Fumitake Kishida (Government Official in the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry; Director of The Small and Medium Enterprise Agency)
- Others – Masaki Kishida (Grandfatehrr) (Politician), Yoichi Miyazawa (Cousin) (Politician; Former Minister of Economy, Trade and Industry), Kiichi Miyazawa (Distant Relative) (Prime Minister of Japan from 1991 to 1993)
5 ft 10 in or 178 cm
70 kg or 154.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Fumio Kishida has dated –
- Yuko Kishida (1988-Present) – He got married to Yuko Kishida, daughter of a real estate businessperson, in 1988. The duo parents 3 sons.
Race / Ethnicity
Fumio Kishida is of Japanese descent.
Fumio Kishida Facts
- He comes from a political family.
- Many of his family members died in the atomic bombing in Hiroshima in 1945 and he grew up listening to stories from the survivors of the event.
- Fumio Kishida started his career working in finance and was employed at the now-defunct Long-Term Credit Bank of Japan.
- During his time at Waseda University, he was friends with future politician Takeshi Iwaya.
- In 1993, he was elected to the House of Representatives as a member of the Liberal Democratic Party (LDP).
- From 2007 to 2008, Fumio Kishida served as the Minister of Okinawa Affairs.
- On December 26, 2012, he was appointed foreign minister in the Cabinet of Prime Minister Shinzō Abe and Fumio Kishida eventually became the longest-serving foreign minister in postwar history, surpassing Abe’s father Shintaro Abe.
- He enjoys eating Hiroshima-style okonomiyaki (a Japanese savory pancake dish).
- He is a fan of the Hiroshima Toyo Carp baseball team.
- Fumio Kishida has been a recipient of honors like Knight Grand Cross of the Order of Orange-Nassau and Knight Grand Cross of the Order of Isabella the Catholic.
- Following the beginning of the Russian invasion of Ukraine in 2022, he joined other leaders of the G-7 nations in imposing economic sanctions on Russia on February 24, 2022. His proposed sanctions on Russia were harsher than the largely symbolic sanctions imposed by the government of Shinzo Abe on Russia following the 2014 Russian annexation of Crimea. Presumably, the LDP leaders fear that an uninspiring response by Japan to the Ukrainian crisis will result in a lack of support from Japan’s European allies in the event of potential Chinese aggression against Taiwan.
- Fumio Kishida has often focused on a “new model of capitalism” and has said, “Capitalism isn’t sustainable unless it is something that belongs to all stakeholders”.
Featured Image by 首相官邸 / kantei.go.jp / CC BY 4.0