Virginia Ernestine Rodriguez
Chicago, Illinois, U.S.
Rodriguez went to St. Ignatius College Prep in Chicago, Illinois.
At 16, Gina entered Columbia University‘s Theatrical Collaboration. Then, she was enrolled into New York University‘s Tisch School of the Arts.
In 2006, she received her Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) degree after completing 4 years of training at Atlantic Theater Company and Experimental Theatre Wing.
- Father – Genaro Rodriguez (Retired Professional Boxing Referee)
- Mother – Magali Rodriguez
- Siblings – Ivelisse Rodriguez Simon (Oldest Sister) (Investment Banker), Rebecca Rodriguez (Older Sister) (Doctor)
Intellectual Artists Management
5 ft 3½ in or 161 cm
58 kg or 128 pounds
Boyfriend / Spouse
Gina Rodriguez dated –
- Henri Esteve (2014-2015) – From September 2014 to September 2015, the actors Gina and Henri dated each other.
- Ben Schwartz (2016-2017) – In January 2016, actors Gina and Ben Schwartz were seen together enjoying a boxing match in Los Angeles. They were rumored to be dating together for a year until 2017.
- Joe LoCicero (2016-Present) – Actor and model, Joe LoCicero first met Gina in 2016 while filming an episode of “Jane the Virgin”. But, they started dating 6 months later when they met again in the gym. In December 2016, the couple made their relationship official by posting a picture on Instagram with elephants in Thailand. In January 2017, the duo was seen publicly together for the first time during SAG Awards 2017. In August 2018, Gina confirmed her engagement with Joe to People magazine. They are going strong as of now.
Race / Ethnicity
Her parents are Puerto Rican while also having Jewish heritage in her family.
- Her eyes are like an Asian
- Marks on her face
She was announced as Kipling‘s brand ambassador in April 2015.
She was raised Catholic.
Best Known For
Playing the lead role as Jane Villanueva in The CW’s romantic comedy-drama series Jane the Virgin.
Gina is also known for playing Majo Tonorio in the 2012 film Filly Brown.
She debuted with 2008 film Calling It Quits for her role as dayplayer.
First TV Show
In 2004, Gina played the role as Yolanda in the NBC police procedural and legal drama series Law & Order in just one episode entitled “Enemy.”
As Gina’s dad was a referee in boxing, she grew up in boxing. She now likes boxing too much. Here is a video of her boxing session, which she posted on Instagram.
Boxing is not just her only workout. She keeps bringing variations in it. In October 2015, she ran a half-marathon in San Francisco for which she did lots of running.
While working out, she doesn’t listen to pumped up music. Soft music does the trick for her.
Gina Rodriguez Favorite Things
- Food – Pollo guisado, mofongo, tostones (Fried Plantain Slices)
- Britney Spears Song – …Baby One More Time
Gina Rodriguez Facts
- When she was 7, Gina was performing at Fantasia Juvenil, a salsa dance company. She did salsa dancing until 17.
- Since 19, she had suffered from a thyroid condition.
- Gina’s education at NYU Tisch School Of Arts was funded by her older sister, Ivelisse.
- She always lives by the mantra “I can and I will.”
- She has a pooch named, Casper.
- Her retired professional boxing referee dad always wanted to have a son and name him Genaro, Jr, but he got her [Gina] instead. Hence, she has been named, Gina.
- Her best Halloween costume ever was Willy Wonka.
- Gina (along with Josh Peck and Ludacris) hosted the Teen Choice Awards 2015.
- Visit her official website @ hereisgina.com.
- Join Gina on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.