|Harish Salve Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 7 in|
|Date of Birth||June 22, 1955|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Harish Salve is an Indian senior advocate who has practiced at the Supreme Court of India. From November 1, 1999, to November 3, 2002, he served as the Solicitor General of India and was appointed as a Queen’s Counsel for the courts of England and Wales on January 16, 2020. Some of his noted clients include Mukesh Ambani‘s Reliance Industries Limited, Anil Ambani‘s Reliance Natural Resources Limited, Salman Khan, Kulbhushan Jadhav, Vodafone, Bilkis Bano (a victim of the Gujarat Riots), Tata Group, and ITC Limited.
Warud, Sindkheda, Dhule, Maharashtra, India
He divides his time between –
- New Delhi, India
- London, England, United Kingdom
Harish Salve studied at St. Francis De’Sales High School in Nagpur, Maharashtra. Afterward, he finished his Chartered Accountancy at the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI). He also completed an LLB from Nagpur University.
- Father – N. K. P. Salve (Chartered Accountant, Veteran Indian Politician from the Indian National Congress, Parliamentarian, Cricket Administrator) (Died at a private hospital in New Delhi on April 1, 2012)
- Mother – Ambriti Salve (Doctor)
- Siblings – Arundhati Upadhyaya (Sister)
- Others – Prasadrao Keshavrao Salve (Paternal Grandfather) (A successful criminal lawyer and freedom fighter), Cornelia Karuna Jadhav (Paternal Grandmother) (A renowned scholar, freedom fighter, and the first woman in India to receive an honors degree in mathematics), Keshavrao Salve (Paternal Great-Grandfather) (Served as a munsif (subordinate judge))
5 ft 7 in or 170 cm
76 kg or 167.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Harish Salve has dated –
- Meenakshi Salve (1982-2020) – He married his first wife Meenakshi Salve in the year 1982 and she gave birth to their daughters Sakshi Salve and Saaniya Salve. After 38 years of marriage, the couple divorced in June 2020.
- Caroline Brossard – Harish Salve met a London-based artist named Caroline Brossard at an art event and the duo eventually tied the knot on October 28, 2020. This marriage also ended in divorce.
- Trina (2023-Present) – Salve married his 3rd wife Trina on September 3, 2023, at a ceremony in London, England. Some notable figures who attended the event included Nita Ambani and fugitives from Indian law such as Lalit Modi and Moin Qureshi.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Marathi descent.
Salt and Pepper
He was raised in a multi-religious family with liberal secularism at his home.
Harish Salve Facts
- He initially practiced Chartered Accountancy in taxation and then went on to pursue a career as a lawyer.
- In 1980, Harish Salve started his legal career as an intern at J. B. Dadachandji & Co. and later became a full-time lawyer. During his time at J. B. Dadachandji & Co., he assisted Nanabhoy “Nani” Ardeshir Palkhivala in the Minerva Mills case (case citation: AIR 1980 SC 1789).
- From 1980 to 1986, he worked with former Attorney General Soli Sorabjee.
- Harish Salve was appointed as Amicus Curiae by the Supreme Court in some cases but he recused himself from this position in 2011 during a hearing on illegal mining. It was stated that the decision was made on the grounds that he had previously appeared for one or more of the parties.
- He was admitted to the English Bar in 2013 and subsequently joined the Blackstone Chambers, a set of barristers’ chambers in the Temple district of central London.
- One of his school classmates was the former Chief Justice of India Sharad Arvind Bobde.
- He represented India before the International Court of Justice in May 2017 in the case of Kulbhushan Jadhav who was sentenced to death by a Pakistani military court on charges of spying. Salve’s efforts resulted in the International Court of Justice ordering a provisional stay on Jadhav’s execution until a final verdict was declared. Salve charged only ₹1(INR) in legal fees for the case and was ranked 43rd in the “India’s 50 Most Powerful People of 2017” list by India Today magazine.
Featured Image by Harish Salve / Instagram