|James Maddison Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 9 in|
|Date of Birth||November 23, 1996|
Even before he secured a move to English top flight, James Maddison was counted amongst the highest rated prospects in England and his late move to the Premier League wasn’t because of a lack of skill or interest from big clubs. He had rather intentionally decided to delay his move to bigger clubs as it would have restricted his regular playing time. The decision proved to be a masterstroke as the time in the 2nd division toughened him up and allowed him to work on his game. Moreover, when he secured a move to Leicester City, he was well prepared for the fast-paced playing style of the English Premier League.
James Daniel Maddison
Coventry, England, United Kingdom
James Maddison went to the Richard Lee Primary School, Coventry. He later attended the Caludon Castle School.
He has learned his trade at the youth academy of Coventry City.
Professional Soccer Player
James Maddison is represented by Base Soccer Agency.
36 – Coventry City
10 – Coventry City, Leicester City
23, 28 – Norwich City
5 ft 9 in or 175 cm
73 kg or 161 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
James Maddison has dated –
- Molly-Mae Hague (2019)
Race / Ethnicity
James Maddison has inked an endorsement deal with Nike. As per the clauses of the deal, he is required to wear Nike footwear for his professional matches.
Best Known For
Being one of the most promising English attacking midfielders. His strong performances for Coventry City and Norwich City have suggested that Maddison might be able to develop into a top-class attacking force.
First Soccer Match
In August 2014, he made his professional debut with Coventry City in a League Cup match against Cardiff City. He was sent in as a substitute in his side’s 2-1 loss.
In April 2017, he made his first appearance for Norwich City as he was sent in the 2nd half of match against Preston North End. He scored in his team’s 3-1 win.
In August 2018, he made his debut for Leicester City in a Premier League away match against Manchester City, which his team lost by 2-0. He came really close to scoring his debut goal but his fierce drive was palmed away by David de Gea.
First TV Show
In 2017, James Maddison made his first TV show appearance on the sports show, Football on 5: The Championship.
- Long Shots
- Ability to thread passes through the defensive lines
- Free Kicks
- Ball Control
- Aerial Duels
James Maddison Facts
- In October 2014, he scored his first professional goal as he netted a free kick in his side’s 4-1 capitulation against Oldham Athletic in Football League One match.
- In November 2014, he signed his first professional contract with Coventry City as he agreed to stay at the club for 3 and a half years. However, he missed out on most of his debut season because of a back injury. His sending off in a defeat against Doncaster Rovers in the Boxing Day fixture didn’t help matters either.
- In January 2016, he was heavily courted by the Premier League clubs with Liverpool being particularly keen to buy him. However, he felt that if he joined any premier league club, he would get stuck in their youth teams and, therefore, decided against moving to the top flight.
- Instead, he decided to accept the transfer offer from Norwich City. He signed a 3 and a half years contract with his new club in February 2016. He was loaned back to Coventry for the rest of the season.
- In August 2016, Norwich decided to send him to the Scottish league to toughen him up and agreed on a 6 months loan deal with Aberdeen. He made 14 appearances for the Scottish club.
- He scored his first goal for Aberdeen in his 2nd match as his side won the match by 3-1 against Dundee. He also scored a last minute winner against Rangers. It was a long range stunning freekick which he curled into the near post.
- In June 2017, he signed a contract extension with Norwich City to extend his stay with the club for 4 more years.
- At the start of 2017-18 season, the new Norwich City coach, Daniel Farke, decided to make him the first choice playmaker and he responded with consistent performances. In 41 league appearances, he scored a total of 14 goals.
- At the end of his breakthrough season, he was declared Norwich City‘s Player of the Season. He also earned a nomination for the EFL Championship Young Player of the Season award.
- In June 2018, Leicester City decided to pay £20 million to buy Maddison. They aimed to replace Manchester City-bound Riyad Mahrez with Maddison’s attacking talents.
- In August 2018, he scored his first goal for Leicester in their 2-0 win over Wolverhampton Wanderers.
- In 2018, he was caught up in a scandal after it was alleged that he and his friend had got in an altercation after a night out, which ended with Maddison’s friend assaulting a man, who hadn’t recognized Maddison. He also reportedly boasted about his high weekly wage.
- Follow James Maddison on Instagram and Twitter.
Featured image by James Maddison / Instagram