|John Dolmayan Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 9¼ in|
|Date of Birth||July 15, 1973|
John Dolmayan is an Armenian-American drummer, musician, and songwriter who is best known for being the drummer of the metal band System of a Down. He has also been the drummer for bands like Indicator and Scars on Broadway. With System of a Down, John has worked on multiple albums and tracks such as Hypnotize, Lonely Day, Steal This Album!, Toxicity, Genocidal Humanoidz, Protect the Land, Chop Suey!, and Innervision.
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
Drummer, Musician, Songwriter
- Father – He was a saxophone player.
Alternative Metal, Nu Metal, Experimental Rock, Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, Progressive Metal
Interscope Records, Serjical Strike Records, American Recordings, Columbia Records, Axis of Justice
5 ft 9¼ in or 176 cm
76 kg or 167.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
John Dolmayan has dated –
- Tiffany Taylor – He had a fling with American glamor model Tiffany Taylor in the past.
- Diana Dolmayan – He is married to Diana Dolmayan who is the sister of his bandmate Serj Tankian‘s wife. Hence, John and Serj are brothers-in-law.
Race / Ethnicity
John Dolmayan is of Armenian descent.
Salt and Pepper
- Uses Tama drums and hardware, Paiste cymbals, Evans Drumheads, LP percussion, and his signature Vic Firth drumsticks
- Sports a goatee
John Dolmayan Facts
- He was just 2 years old when he first got inclined towards drums as his mother would take him to watch his father play and John would mimic his father’s drummer.
- His family shifted to California, United States during the Lebanese Civil War.
- He has credited The Who drummer Keith Moon as his biggest influence and his other influences include Led Zeppelin‘s John Bonham, The Police‘s Stewart Copeland, and Rush‘s Neil Peart.
- As the original drummer, Ontronik “Andy” Khachaturian, of System of a Down left the band due to a hand injury, Dolmayan joined the band in 1997.
- John Dolmayan was named DRUM! Magazine‘s “2006 Drummer of the Year”.
- Unlike some of his System of a Down bandmates, he has supported Donald Trump‘s presidency.
- His brother-in-law and bandmate Serj Tankian has often criticized Trump and has also said it is “frustrating” to be politically opposite with his bandmate and brother-in-law.
- John Dolmayan was placed at number #33 on Loudwire‘s list of “Top 66 Hard Rock + Metal Drummers of All Time”.
- He is a major comic book fan and has owned a comic book shop, Torpedo Comics, in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Featured Image by Maron.Ibrahim / Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 4.0