John Michael Green
Born Place / Residence
Indianapolis, Indiana, U.S.
John Green first went to the Lake Highland Preparatory School in Orlando.
He then went to Indian Springs School which is located outside of Birmingham, Alabama. This school served as an inspiration for his setting of the book ‘Looking for Alaska’ in later years.
John Green attended and graduated from Kenyon College in 2000. He graduated with a double major in English and Religion Studies.
He had also enrolled at the University of Chicago Divinity School but, he never really attended the school.
Author, Critic, Web Host, Historian, YouTube Video Blogger
- Father – Mike Green
- Mother – Sydney Green
- Siblings – Hank Green (Brother) (Entrepreneur, Musician and YouTube Video Blogger)
John Green is currently attached with Penguin Group, Inc. (Book Publisher), New York, US.
Young Adult Fiction, Radio, Video
6 ft 1 in or 185 cm
82 kg or 181 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
John Green has been married to –
- Sarah Urist (2006-Present) – Sarah Urist used to work as the Curator of Contemporary Art at Indianapolis Museum of Art. She had also worked for The Art Assignment, a web series with PBS before getting married to John Green. The couple got married on May 21, 2006. They have two children together, Henry Green and Alice Green.
Race / Ethnicity
Distinctive Writing Features
- Young Adult Protagonists
- Written as children literature
- Settings inspired by real locations
Best Known For
John Green is best known as a writer of the famous novels which won different awards in recent years. The three most known books that Green has written are – Looking for Alaska (2005), Paper Towns (2008) and The Fault in Our Stars (2012).
Apart from writing, John Green is also known for being the launcher of VlogBrothers channel in 2007 on YouTube.
John Green’s first book is Looking for Alaska which was published by Dutton Children’s Book in the year 2005. The book was recognized as the “best book written for teens, based entirely on its literary merit.” It received the Michael L. Printz Award by the American Library Association in 2005.
First Film Adaptation
John Green’s fifth book The Fault in Our Stars has been adapted into a film by the same name and was released in the US on June 6, 2014.
First TV Show
John Green has appeared as ‘The John Green’ on the TV Series PogieJoe in 2013 and 2014 in a total of two episodes.
First Film Appearance
John Green was seen on the big screen in the movie The Fault in Our Stars (2014) as one gentleman at the airport.
John Green does not believe in exercising to remain fit. He is naturally healthy and has a slim body. His take on fitness and the excitement associated with it are captured in a hilarious YouTube video known as ‘Fitness for Nerds.’ He also tweeted once “Are there any personal trainers who can do the running and weightlifting for you, or is that not a thing”? This shows that the author has not taken exercising in his routine till date.
However, the writer has a peculiar habit of walking while writing. He has a treadmill desk in his room. Whenever he faces a “writer’s block,” he paces to get inspiration.
John Green Favorite Things
- YouTubers – Roxinpunch, Esther, howtoliz and Elmify
- Books – ‘Nothing’ by Janne Teller, Huckleberry Finn, The Great Gatsby, Their Eyes Were Watching God
- Baseball Team – The Chicago Cubs
- Perfume – White Musk from the body shop
- Mexican Food Joint – Taco Bell
- Snack – Plain popcorns
- Movie – ‘Rushmore’ and ‘Harvey’
- TV Show – 30 Rock
- Song – “Cubs in Five” by Mountain Goats
- Food – Sushi
- Holiday – Good Friday
- Dress – A pair of jeans and a nerdfighter t-shirt.
- Friend – Sarah (Wife)
- Ideal Pastime – Walking in the woods with wife and son
Source – VoyaMagazine.com, JohnGreenBooks.com
John Green Facts
- He has a pet dog which is of the species West Highland Terrier named ‘Willy’.
- He was named as one of Time Magazine’s 100 Most Influential People in the World in April 2014.
- John Green and his brother have founded the channel VlogBrothers and since the inception of the project, the brothers have gained immense popularity with a huge international fan-base whose members are known by the name “Nerdfighters.”
- After its release, ‘The Fault in Our Stars’ was listed at number 1 for two weeks in January 2012 and another two weeks in February 2012 by The New York Times Best Seller in the list for children’s books.
- John Green has also been associated with the magazine ‘Mental Floss’ since the mid-2000s and also hosts its videos on YouTube channel.
- The Green brothers have created a total of 11 online series with the permission of Google, including ‘Crash Course’ which is an educational channel teaching literature, history, and science.