|Julian Assange Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 2 in|
|Date of Birth||July 3, 1971|
Julian Assange is an Australian editor, publisher, and activist who is best known for founding WikiLeaks, an international non-profit organization that publishes news leaks and classified media provided by anonymous sources, in 2006. The organization had created a storm in 2010 when it published a series of leaks that had included classified details and logs about the Afghanistan war and the Iraq War. Soon after this, the United States government launched a criminal investigation into WikiLeaks. In November 2010, the government of Sweden issued an international arrest warrant for Julian on allegations of s*xual misconduct, an act that was seen as a pretext for his extradition from Sweden to the United States. After losing his battle against extradition to Sweden, he had breached bail and taken refuge in the Embassy of Ecuador in London, in June 2012. He was granted asylum by Ecuador in August 2012. Swedish prosecutors eventually dropped their investigation in 2019 but in April of that year, his asylum was withdrawn after a series of disputes with the Ecuadorian authorities. He was then arrested by British authorities and sentenced to 50 weeks in prison. In May 2019, the United States government had further charged him with violating the Espionage Act of 1917. In January 2021, a judge in the United Kingdom ruled against the United States’ request to extradite him on account of his mental health and risk of suicide. Later that month, he was denied bail, pending an appeal by the United States. In December 2021, the High Court in London ruled that Julian could be extradited to the United States. In March 2022, the UK Supreme Court refused him permission to appeal that verdict.
Julian Paul Hawkins
Townsville, Queensland, Australia
HMP Belmarsh, London, England, United Kingdom
Julian had attended multiple schools including the Goolmangar Primary School in New South Wales (1979–1983) and the Townsville State High School, a secondary school in his hometown of Townsville. He had also been homeschooled for a while.
After his high school graduation, he studied programming, mathematics, and physics at Central Queensland University (1994), an Australian public university, and the University of Melbourne (2003–2006), a public research university in Melbourne. He, however, did not complete his courses.
Editor, Publisher, Activist
- Father – John Shipton (Anti-War Activist, Builder)
- Mother – Christine Ann Hawkins (Visual Artist)
- Siblings – Gabriel Shipton (Brother)
- Others – Warren Alfred Hawkins (Maternal Grandfather), Norma Joan Carelton (Maternal Grandmother), Brett Assange (Ex-Step-Father) (Actor), Leif Meynell aka Leif Hamilton (Ex-Step-Father). He has a half-brother.
Julian Assange’s net worth had been $300 thousand according to CelebrityNetWorth.com.
6 ft 2 in or 188 cm
72 kg or 158.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Julian has dated –
- Teresa Assange (1989–1999) – Julian married Teresa in 1989 when they were both teenagers. They have a son together named Daniel Assange (b. 1989). The couple had parted ways in 1999 and fought for Daniel’s custody. Julian’s mother had later revealed that during this custody dispute, his brown hair had turned gray.
- Pamela Anderson (2014-2015) – Rumor
- Stella Moris (2015-Present) – Julian began dating his South African-born lawyer Stella Moris in 2015. They got engaged in 2017 and have 2 sons together named Gabriel (b. 2017) and Max (b. February 2019). In November 2021, the authorities at HMP Belmarsh, the maximum-security prison where he was being held, had granted permission for the couple to marry inside the prison. The couple got married on March 23, 2022.
In an email in January 2007, Julian had mentioned that he had a daughter as well.
Daniel Domscheit-Berg, a German activist, had revealed, in his 2011 memoir titled Inside WikiLeaks: My Time with Julian Assange at the World’s Most Dangerous Website, that Julian had fathered several other children.
In 2015, in an open letter, Julian had mentioned details about another son.
He has also revealed that his youngest child, before his 2 sons with Stella, was French.
He had forced these children and their mothers to change identities and reduce contact with him because of the death threats that he had received due to his activism.
Race / Ethnicity
He is primarily of English descent.
- Lanky frame
- Slightly overgrown, center-parted hair
- Clean-shaven look
Julian Assange Facts
- His biological parents had parted ways before his birth. When he was about a year old, his mother married Brett Assange. Julian came to regard Brett as his father and had, thus, chosen Assange as his surname.
- The surname Assange originates from Au Sang, a Taiwanese who had married a woman from Thursday Island, an island of the Torres Strait Islands, an archipelago of at least 274 small islands in the Torres Strait, a strait between Australia and the Melanesian island of New Guinea.
- His mother and Brett got divorced around 1979. She then became involved with another man called Leif Meynell and they too had separated, in 1982. Julian led a nomadic childhood, living in more than 30 Australian towns by his mid-teens. He had eventually settled in Melbourne with his mother and half-brother.
- Julian had started hacking when he was 16, under the name Mendax. He had later formed a hacking group called the ‘International Subversives’. In September 1991, he had been caught hacking into the Melbourne master terminal of Nortel, a Canadian multinational telecommunications corporation. The Australian Federal Police had tapped his phone line and raided his home the following month.
- In 1994, he was charged with 31 counts of hacking and related crimes. In December 1996, he had pleaded guilty to 24 charges, was ordered to pay reparations of AUD 2,100, and was released on a good behavior bond.
- In 1993, he helped the Victoria Police Child Exploitation Unit to identify and prosecute individuals responsible for publishing/distributing child p*rnography.
- The same year, he was involved in the launch of Suburbia Public Access Network, one of the first public internet service providers in Australia. In 1998, he co-founded a company called Earthmen Technology.
- In August 1999, he had publicized a patent granted to the National Security Agency, a national-level intelligence agency of the United States, for voice-data harvesting technology, warning the world that anyone’s overseas phone calls could soon be tapped, transcribed, and archived by a foreign spy agency.
Featured Image by Julian Assange / Instagram