|Jurnee Smollett-Bell Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 6 in|
|Date of Birth||October 1, 1986|
Jurnee Smollett-Bell is an American actress who is known for having been cast in a variety of TV shows and movies like Eve’s Bayou, Roll Bounce, Gridiron Gang, The Great Debaters, Temptation: Confessions of a Marriage Counselor, Hands of Stone, Full House, On Our Own, Cosby, Wanda at Large, Friday Night Lights, The Defenders, True Blood, Underground, Lovecraft Country, Grey’s Anatomy, and Hangin’ with Mr. Cooper. Starting her career as a child actress, Jurnee Smollett-Bell has amassed an enormous fan base with more the 1.5 million followers on Instagram and more than 200k followers on Twitter and has also won several awards for her acting finesse.
Jurnee Diana Smollett
New York City, New York, United States
Los Angeles, California, United States
Actress, Voice Actress
- Father – Joel Smollett
- Mother – Janet (née Harris)
- Siblings – Jazz Smollett (Sister) (Actress, Producer, Production Manager), Justin “Jussie” Smollett (Older Brother) (Actor, Singer), JoJo Smollett (Older Brother) (Actor), Jake Smollett (Younger Brother) (Actor, Producer, Director), Jocqui Smollett (Brother) (Actor)
- Others – Peter Smollett (Paternal Grandfather), David Smolovitz /Smollett (Paternal Great-Grandfather), Dawley /Dawlly Levy (Paternal Great-Grandmother), Molly Hirschenson (Paternal Grandmother), John Harris (Maternal Grandfather), Grace /Raphel Smith (Maternal Grandmother)
Jurnee Smollett-Bell is represented by Management 360, Talent Management Company, Beverly Hills, California, United States.
5 ft 6 in or 167.5 cm
58 kg or 128 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Jurnee Smollett-Bell has dated –
- Josiah Bell (2009-Present) – Jurnee started dating singer Josiah Bell in 2009. Eventually, they got married on October 24, 2010, and the duo became parents to their first child, a son named Hunter, on October 31, 2016.
Race / Ethnicity
Multiracial (White & Black)
She has Ashkenazi Jewish roots on her father’s side and is of African-American descent on her mother’s side.
- Pierced septum
- Pouty lips
- Curly Locks
Jurnee Smollett-Bell has appeared in TV commercials for several brands like Proactiv Solution (2012, 2013).
She has also either endorsed or promoted brands like FabFitFun through Instagram.
Best Known For
- Having been cast in a number of TV shows like Full House (1992-1994) as Denise Frazer, Hangin’ with Mr. Cooper (1992) as Denise Frazer, On Our Own (1994-1995) as Jordee Jerrico, Cosby (1998-2000) as Jurnee, Strong Medicine (2002) as Ruby, Wanda at Large (2003) as Holly Hawkins, Grey’s Anatomy (2008) as Beth, Friday Night Lights (2009-2011) as Jess Merriweather, The Defenders (2010-2011) as Lisa Tyler, True Blood (2013-2014) as Nicole Wright, Parenthood (2013) as Heather Hall, Underground (2016-2017) as Rosalee, and Lovecraft Country (2019) as Letitia “Leti” Dandridge
- Being a part of movies like Eve’s Bayou (1997) as Eve Batiste, Beautiful Joe (2000) as Vivien, Roll Bounce (2005) as Tori Turner, Gridiron Gang (2006) as Danyelle Rollins, The Great Debaters (2007) as Samantha Booke, Temptation: Confessions of a Marriage Counselor (2013) as Judith, and Hands of Stone (2016) as Juanita Leonard
Jurnee Smollett-Bell made her first theatrical film appearance as Phoebe in the fantasy comedy-drama film, Jack, in 1996.
First TV Show
Jurnee Smollett-Bell made her first TV show appearance as Denise /Denise Frazer in an episode, titled The Devil Made Me Do It, of the family comedy-drama show, Full House, in 1992.
As a voice actress, she made her TV show debut as Ali Baba in an episode, titled Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves, of the animated fantasy adventure series, Happily Ever After: Fairy Tales for Every Child, in 1999.
She stays fit by indulging in interval training and yoga. To calm her mind and stay at peace, she also prays and meditates on a regular basis.
As for her diet, she eats healthy, takes her vitamins, and drinks a lot of water on a daily basis. However, she doesn’t restrict herself by following her diet too strictly. For breakfast, she prefers Eggs Benedict along with some Belgian waffles or French toast and a smoothie. Moreover, she loves eating sushi for both lunch and dinner whenever she can.
Jurnee Smollett-Bell Favorite Things
- Food Joint – Connie and Ted’s
- Meal Of The Day – Breakfast
Source – TheNewPotato.com
Jurnee Smollett-Bell Facts
- Her father’s family immigrated from Russia and Poland.
- Since the age of 11, Jurnee has been active in spreading awareness for HIV/AIDS causes, after being inspired by the HIV/AIDS survivor Hydeia Broadbent.
- She has also worked with organizations like the Black AIDS Institute, New South Africa, and the Red Cross.
- When she was 7 years old, one of her On Our Own crew members died after suffering from AIDS.
- In 1997, Jurnee Smollett-Bell won a Critics’ Choice Movie Award in the “Best Supporting Actress” category as well as a San Diego Film Critics Society Award in the same category for her critically acclaimed performance as Eve Batiste in the drama film, Eve’s Bayou (1997).
- In 2008, she won an NAACP Image Award in the “Outstanding Actress in a Motion Picture” category for her role as Samantha Booke in the biographical drama film, The Great Debaters (2007).
- Jurnee Smollett-Bell starts her day with morning prayers.
- She enjoys traveling a lot, especially to South Africa.
- She always carries her journal and a lip balm in her bag.
- On sets, kettle chips or hummus and pita are her go-to snacks.
- Follow Jurnee Smollett-Bell on Instagram and Twitter.
Featured Image by Penpusher / Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 4.0