|K. S. Ravikumar Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 8 in|
|Date of Birth||May 30, 1958|
K. S. Ravikumar is an Indian film director, screenwriter, producer, and actor who is prominently known for his work in the Tamil film industry. Ever since he began his career as a filmmaker in 1990 with his debut Puriyaadha Pudhir (1990), Ravikumar has directed an upward of 40 films. Some of his most notable work was with the movies Cheran Pandiyan (1991), Nattamai (1994), Muthu (1995), Avvai Shanmugi (1996), Natpukkaga (1998), Padayappa (1999), Thenali (2000), Dasavathaaram (2008), and Lingaa (2014). His films have always featured established actors like Rajinikanth, Suriya, Kamal Haasan, Nagarjuna, Chiranjeevi, Ramya Krishnan, and Prabhu. He has also received various awards for his skillful talents such as the Tamil Nadu State Film Award and Filmfare Award.
Besides that, Ravikumar also flourished as an actor. He starred in more than 2 dozen films including Golmaal (1998), Santhosham (1998), Arul (2004), and Satrumun Kidaitha Thagaval (2009). With time, he has also garnered a huge fan base with more than 1.5 million followers on Facebook.
K. S. Ravikumar
Vanganoor, Tiruvallur, Tamil Nadu, India
Director, Producer, Actor
Ravikumar is represented by Vega Entertainment.
5 ft 8 in or 173 cm
81 kg or 178.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
K. S. Ravikumar has dated –
- Karpagam Ravikumar – Ravikumar got married to producer Karpagam Ravikumar in the past. The couple has 3 children Jasvanthi Ravikumar, Maalica Ravikumar, and Janani Ravikumar.
Race / Ethnicity
- Keeps a mustache
- Wears a pair of glasses
Best Known For
- Directing several successful films like Puriyaadha Pudhir (1990), Cheran Pandiyan (1991), Nattamai (1994), Muthu (1995), Avvai Shanmugi (1996), Natpukkaga (1998), Padayappa (1999), Thenali (2000), Dasavathaaram (2008), and Lingaa (2014)
- Directing the Bollywood film Policegiri (2013), starring actor Sanjay Dutt
- Working with highly regarded celebrities like Rajinikanth, Suriya, Kamal Haasan, Nagarjuna, Chiranjeevi, Ramya Krishnan, Arjun, and Prabhu
- Starring several films such as Golmaal (1998), Santhosham (1998), Arul (2004), Satrumun Kidaitha Thagaval (2009), Inga Enna Solluthu (2014), Thanga Magan (2015), Comali (2019)
- Completing films within the budget cut out and time given
- Winning various awards like the ITFA Best Director Award, Tamil Nadu State Film Award, Filmfare Award, and Vijay Award
First Film (As Director)
Ravikumar made his debut Tamil theatrical film directorial with Puriyaadha Pudhir in 1990. Actor Rahman, Raghuvaran, Sarath Kumar, Anand Babu, Rekha, and Sithara were chosen to star in the film.
He made his first Telugu theatrical film directorial with Sneham Kosam in 1999. Well-known actors like Chiranjeevi, Meena, and Prakash Raj were cast in the movie.
First Film (As Actor)
As an actor, he made his debut theatrical film appearance as a friend of actor Mohan Rao in Aayiram Pookkal Malarattum in 1986. However, his role was uncredited.
He made his debut theatrical film appearance as a cellmate in Puriyaadha Pudhir in 1990. The film was also marked his directorial debut.
During his younger days, Ravikumar was an active child. He played several sports including football.
K. S. Ravikumar Facts
- He was raised in Tamil Nadu by a family of business background.
- Ravikumar started his career in Tollywood as an actor in 1986. However, after not having achieved much success, he turned to film making in 1990, making his debut with Puriyaadha Pudhir in 1990.
- In the past, he worked as a co-director on the film Pudhu Vasantham (1990), which was produced by R. B. Choudary. It was Choudary, who gave Ravikumar the chance at making his directorial debut.
- Ravikumar and actor and singer Vikram started a production house titled Pudhu Kaaviyam, in the past. However, it did not cut out for both of them and the project was deserted.
- Most of his movies are said to be Masala films. This means they include action, family sentiment, comedy, betrayal, revenge, and redemption.
- He often takes his story plots from other writers, rather than considering his own.
- During the process of scriptwriting, he does not include anyone besides his discussion team. This also excludes his assistant directors.
- He designs his scripts according to the actor he chooses.
- Ravikumar always makes a cameo appearance in the films he directs.
- He completed one of Tollywood’s most expensive film Lingaa (2014) in just 120 days.
- Ravikumar is a man of strict virtues, especially when he’s onset. He once left director Cheran out of the film they had been directing together, over an argument.
- In an interview with The Hindu, he once stated that what he does as a director is purely business.
- He is a huge fan of actor Rajinikanth.
- In the past, he founded the production house RK Celluloids.
- Follow him on Facebook.
Featured Image By Bollywood Hungama / CC-BY-3.0