Karl Otto Lagerfeld
Karl Lagerfeld was born on September 10, 1933.
Karl passed away at the age of 85 on February 19, 2019, in Neuilly-sur-Seine, France. Due to certain health issues, he was admitted to the American Hospital of Paris in January 2019 where he took his last breath and died from complications of pancreatic cancer.
Karl Lagerfeld went to a private school. He later got enrolled in a Lycée Montaigne in Paris for his secondary education and majored in History and Drawing.
Fashion Designer, Photographer
- Father – Otto Lagerfeld (German businessman and founder of Lagerfeld & Co)
- Mother – Elisabeth Bahlmann
- Siblings – Martha Christiane (Older Sister)
- Others – Karl Bahlmann (Maternal Grandfather) (Catholic Centre Party local politician), Thea (Older Half-Sister)
5 ft 10¾ in or 180 cm
71 kg or 156.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Girlfriend / Spouse
Karl Lagerfeld had dated –
- Jacques de Bascher (197?-1989) – Lagerfeld started dating socialite Jacques de Bascher in the early 70s. They were reported to be in a live-in relationship until Jacques’ death in 1989.
- Veronica Webb (1989) – According to reports, Karl had a short-lived affair with model and actress, Veronica Webb, in 1989.
Race / Ethnicity
- Always carried an oriental fan
- Wore black sunglasses
- Wore clothes with a starched high collar
Karl Lagerfeld had appeared in a TV commercial for the luxury clothing brand, H&M.
Also, being one of the most high-profile designers, he had endorsed a number of fashion brands through his work.
Best Known For
- Being one of the most popular and successful fashion designers
- Having served as the creative director of luxury fashion brand, Chanel, and Italian fashion house, Fendi
In 1973, he made his first film appearance in the drama movie, L’Amour.
First TV Show
In 1969, he made his TV show debut with an appearance on the talk show, The Mike Douglas Show.
In 2001, Lagerfeld lost more than 40 kg so that he could wear clothes designed by Hedi Slimane. Those clothes were designed exclusively for very slim boys so Lagerfeld had to go through the extra mile to get the perfectly suited body for them. The most interesting thing about his weight loss was that he lost that amount of weight within 13 months and, that too, without any exercise. He used to believe that exercises make you hungry, hence, interfering with your diet routine.
His diet, called The Spoonlight Program, was designed by his physician, Jean-Claude Houdret. The diet focused on low fat, low carbs, and low calories. In fact, the daily dietary intake was limited from 1000 to 1200 calories. He even documented his diet plan in the book, The Karl Lagerfeld Diet.
In his typical eccentric way, he insisted on having minimal contact with food and throwing away any leftovers because that way you might not be tempted to eat more. Instead of suggesting healthy snacks to deal with hunger pangs, he suggested to face them stoically as not eating during hunger pangs would eventually help in weight loss.
Karl Lagerfeld Favorite Things
- Greatest Fear – Losing his health
- Overrated Virtue – Religious hypocrisy
- Greatest Achievement – Work he had done on himself
- Writers – E. Dickinson (English), Leopardi (Italian), Mallarmé (French), R.M. Rilke (German)
- Fictional Hero – Orlando from Virginia Woolf
- Names – Tancrede (for boys), Allegra (for girls)
- Thing He Disliked The Most – Monday mornings
- Models – Claudia Schiffer, Stella Tennant
Karl Lagerfeld Facts
- Lagerfeld had a redpoint Birman cat named Choupette. In his June 2013 interview, he claimed that he would have married his cat if it were legal.
- At the Milan Fashion Week in 1993, he created a controversy by using stripper and adult movie actress, Moana Pozzi, for his fashion show. This compelled Vogue editor-in-chief, Anna Wintour, to walk out of the show.
- In 1994, he became the center of another outrage as he used a line from the Qur’an for the spring 1994 couture collection for Chanel. He apologized and claimed that he had taken a verse from the book about Taj Mahal believing it was a fragment of the love poem.
- In 2001, he was termed as ‘designer dinosaur’ by the spokesperson of the animal rights group, PETA, for his continuous use of furs in his collection.
- At a fashion event held at Lincoln Center in New York City, tofu pies were hurled at Lagerfeld by animal rights activists. Instead of hitting him, one of the pies hit Calvin Klein.
- In 2015, Lagerfeld inaugurated his first eponymous fashion store at the famous Lagoona Mall in Doha.
- In February 2012, he became the subject of national ire in the United Kingdom after he called singer Adele ‘a little too fat’. He had to issue a statement of apology to diffuse the situation.
- In July 2012, he was caught in another British controversy after he made some less than complimentary comments about Kate Middleton’s sister, Pippa‘s face and quipped that she should only show her back.
- He started his fashion design career as an assistant to the legendary designer, Pierre Balmain. He was selected for this post after he had won a coat designing competition held in 1955.
- He was also a successful photographer and had photographed celebrities such as Mariah Carey and Dakota Fanning.
- He had done editorial work for some leading magazines as well.
- He used to often falsify information about his birth and family background. He usually stated that he was born in 1938 but the Catholic baptismal record stated that he was born in 1933.
- He could speak 4 languages fluently – German, English, French, and Italian.
- During his appearance on the TV show, Larry King Live, he revealed that he had stopped celebrating his birthday after he turned 30.
- Visit his official website @ karl.com.
- Follow Karl on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, Pinterest, and Google+.