|Kevin De Bruyne Quick Info
|5 ft 11¼ in
|Date of Birth
|June 28, 1991
When he was signed by Chelsea in January 2012, Kevin De Bruyne was already considered as one of the finest emerging attacking midfielders. He wasn’t able to establish himself at Chelsea. He first showed off his immense skills during his season-long loan at Werder Bremen. However, it wasn’t until his move to VfL Wolfsburg when he finally announced himself on the European stage. His great performances at Wolfsburg earned him a move to Manchester City. With the arrival of Pep Guardiola as City’s new manager, De Bruyne took his game to the next level. He was instrumental in City’s record-breaking Premier League win in the 2017-18 season, in which his side broke 100 points barrier for the first time in the history.
Kevin De Bruyne
The Ginger Pele
Drongen, Ghent, Belgium
Kevin De Bruyne honed his game and skills at the youth academies of Belgian clubs – Gent and Genk.
Professional Soccer Player
- Father – Herwig De Bruyne
- Mother – Anna De Bruyne
- Siblings – Stefanie De Bruyne (Sister)
Kevin De Bruyne is represented by Patrick De Koster.
Midfielder, Winger, Attacking Midfielder
7 – KRC Genk, Belgium National Team
14 – KRC Genk, VfL Wolfsburg, Belgium National Team
17 – Manchester City
15 – Chelsea FC
6 – Werder Bremen
5 ft 11¼ in or 181 cm
73 kg or 161 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Kevin De Bruyne has dated –
- Caroline Lijnen (2010-2013) – In 2010, De Bruyne started dating Caroline Lijnen. Their relationship was in news in November 2014 after the release of his autobiography, in which he revealed that Lijnen cheated on him with his Belgian teammate Thibaut Courtois. In her interview, Caroline claimed that he had cheated on her in the summer of 2012 with her best friend. So, she was just getting back at him. It was revealed that Kevin had attacked Thibaut in the Belgian training after learning about the fling.
- Michèle Lacroix (2014-Present) – In 2014, he started going out with Michèle Lacroix. In September 2015, it was revealed that they were expecting their first child together. She gave birth to their son, Mason Milian De Bruyne, in March 2016. They got married in a lavish wedding in June 2017.
Race / Ethnicity
He has Belgian ancestry.
Kevin De Bruyne has a personal endorsement contract with Nike, which requires him to wear Nike footwear for his professional matches. He has also appeared in a TV commercial for Nike with other soccer stars such as Neymar, Ronaldinho, Aubameyang, Andrea Pirlo, and Coutinho.
Best Known For
- Being one of the finest playmakers in the international soccer. He has been delivering scintillating performances for Manchester City as well as Belgium National team.
- His strong presence on the social media platforms. He has over 8 million followers on his official Instagram account.
First Soccer Match
In May 2009, Kevin De Bruyne made his professional debut with Genk in a match against Charleroi, which his side lost by 3-0.
In January 2014, he made his first appearance for Wolfsburg in a 3-1 home defeat to Hannover 96.
In September 2015, De Bruyne made his first appearance for Manchester City in a Premier League match against Crystal Palace. He was sent in for injured Sergio Aguero in the 25th minute of the match by Manuel Pellegrini.
In August 2010, he made his international start for Belgium national team in an international friendly match against Finland. He couldn’t prevent 1-0 defeat.
- Passing range
- Technical ability
- Long range shots
- Reading of the game
He doesn’t have any apparent weaknesses in his game.
First TV Show
In 2015, Kevin De Bruyne made his first TV show appearance on Football on 5: The EFL Cup.
Kevin De Bruyne Favorite Things
- Idols – Zinedine Zidane and Ronaldinho
Source – 90 Min
Kevin De Bruyne Facts
- Kevin was raised mostly by his mother.
- He established himself as a first team member for Genk in the 2009-10 season, in which his team finished as league champions. He scored 5 goals and recorded 16 goals in 32 league appearances.
- In February 2010, he scored his first professional goal as his side won by 1-0 against Standard Liège in the Belgian league.
- He scored his first career hattrick against Club Brugge as Genk won the thrilling contest by 5-4 in October 2011.
- On the deadline day of 2012 winter transfer window, it was announced that Chelsea had paid £7 million to secure his services for five and a half years. However, he was loaned back to Genk for the remaining months of the season.
- In August 2012, it was announced that Chelsea was sending him out on a season-long loan to Werder Bremen. In his entire season with Bremen, he scored 10 goals in 33 appearances.
- On his return to Chelsea, he couldn’t find a place in the playing 11 under Jose Mourinho‘s managerial reign. So just 6 months after his return, he decided to force a move away from Chelsea in the winter window.
- In January 2014, Wolfsburg paid a fee of £18 million (€22 million) to take him back to the Germany top flight.
- In April 2014, he scored his first professional goal for Wolfsburg in his side’s 3–1 away win against Hamburger SV. He finished his debut season with the club by scoring goals in the last two fixtures of the season against VfB Stuttgart and Borussia Mönchengladbach. His side won both the matches.
- In his only full season with the German club, he outshone every attacking player in the country and finished the season with 16 goals and 27 assists in all competitions.
- In the 2014-15 season, he managed to score 10 goals and record 21 assists in 34 league appearances. He became the first player to record 21 assists in the German top flight.
- In recognition of his scintillating performances, he was declared Footballer of the Year in Germany in 2015.
- In August 2015, he moved to Manchester City as the English club paid fee of £55 million (€75 million) to Wolfsburg. It was the highest transfer fee paid in the history of the club for a single player.
- He scored his first professional goal for Manchester City in their 2-1 defeat to West Ham United in September 2015. His goal came in the first half stoppage time.
- In January 2018, he signed a new contract with Manchester City, which extended his stay with the club until 2023. The contract made him one of the best-paid players in the English top flight.
- In the 2017-18 season, he won the English Premier League and League Cup with Manchester City. He scored 8 goals and assisted 16 in the league in the season.
- At the end of the season, he was voted as Manchester City Player of the Season. He was also awarded the inaugural Premier League Playmaker of the Season award.
- In August 2018, it was revealed that he had suffered a knee injury in the training. It was later revealed by his club that he had a lesion of the lateral collateral ligament in his right knee. He didn’t have to undergo surgery but was ruled out for 3 months.
- In October 2014, he published his autobiography in collaboration with Borgerhoff & Lamberigts.
- De Bruyne didn’t buy his first car until 2015. His first car was a Mercedes, which he bought in preparation for the impending birth of his son. He had previously relied on club vehicles for his traveling.
- Follow him on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Featured Image by Erik Drost / Flickr / CC BY 2.0