|Kristi Yamaguchi Quick Info|
|Height||4 ft 11½ in|
|Date of Birth||July 12, 1971|
Kristi Yamaguchi is a retired figure skater from America. She has Japanese ancestry. In 1991 and 1992 each, she won a gold medal at the World Championships in “Ladies’ singles” category. She got into skating and ballet as a child but not due to interest, but as a treatment for her club feet. After the 1991–1992 competitive season, she turned professional.
Kristine Tsuya Yamaguchi
Hayward, California, United States
Alamo, California, United States
Kristi was homeschooled for the most part of her student life, up until, the first two years of high school, so that she can adjust her schedule in learning ballet and skating which became a compulsory routine to correct a medical condition.
But eventually, she completed her junior and senior years at the Mission San Jose High School, Fremont, California.
Figure skater, philanthropist, children’s book author, entrepreneur
- Father – Jim Yamaguchi (Dentist)
- Mother – Carole Yamaguchi (Medical Secretary)
- Siblings – Brett Yamaguchi (Brother), Lori Yamaguchi (Sister)
Kristi Yamaguchi is managed by –
- Yuki Saegusa, Talent Agent, IMG, New York City, New York, USA.
- Susan Madore, Publicist, Guttman Associates, Beverly Hills, California, USA.
Christy Ness (former)
Sandra Bezic (former)
St. Moritz ISC
4 ft 11½ in or 151 cm
45 kg or 99 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Kristi Yamaguchi has dated –
- Bret Hedican (1996-Present) – Kristi and Bret Hedican dated for a while before tying the knot. Bret is an American Ice Hockey Player from St. Paul, Minnesota, who has also represented Team USA in the Olympics. Kristi met Bret at the 1992 Olympics. They started dating in 1996 and married each other after 4 years on July 8, 2000. They are blessed with two daughters, Keara Kiyomi (b. 2003) and Emma Yoshiko (b. 2005).
Race / Ethnicity
She is of Japanese descent.
- Long face with slender jawline and pointed chin
- High cheekbones
- Radiant eyes
- Bright smile
Kristi Yamaguchi has endorsed the brands such as –
- Move Free Ultra
- Milk Life
- Living Well: Airborne
Best Known For
- Winning gold in Figure Skating in individual women’s category in 1992 Olympics in Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain. Besides that, she has also won the 1991 World Figure Skating Championships in Olympiahalle, Munich, Germany and 1992 World Figure Skating Championships in Oakland, California, USA, in the individual women category. Also, known for winning in the pairs skater category with Rudy Galindo in the 1988 World Junior championship in Brisbane, Australia and for winning the national championship twice (1989 and 1990).
- Her appearance in the 6th season of Dancing with the Stars in 2008. She along with her partner Mark Ballas won the title.
In 1994, Kristi had her first theatrical film appearance in a cameo role in the sports comedy-drama D2: The Mighty Ducks.
First TV Show
In 1992, Kristi made her first TV show appearance in the talk show One on One with John Tesh on NBC Entertainment.
Kristi tries to work out 3 times a week on her personal elliptical machine for half an hour. Skating helps her to relax and gives her a full body workout.
She also incorporates her own workout forms like lifting light weights with more repetitions, wall sits, isometric holds, one-legged lunges and lunge walks, jumping in one place, squat jumps, and others.
She also performs resistance training to strengthen her muscles and bones. Kristi being busy finds hard to remain regular with her workout schedules. But, she aims to get her heart rate up a few times a week.
Regarding nutrition, she does not follow any specific diet. She eats ‘everything in moderation’ with 80/20 percent balance, where 80% is all about healthy balanced diet with lean proteins, fresh fruits, vegetables, and less processed food. The 20 percent is for the weekend splurge or a nice rich dessert.
She includes organic food items wherever possible especially with milk, eggs, and some poultry. Her go-to breakfast is usually cereal and fruit with milk or a smoothie.
Kristi Yamaguchi Favorite Things
- Toy – Dorothy Hamill doll
- Tea – Matcha green tea latte
- Type Of Food – Italian
- Food – Ice cream
- Designers – Nicole Miller, Carmen Marc Valvo, Carolina Herrera, Vera Wang
- Music Type – Dance and R&B
- Sports To Watch – Ice hockey
- Dessert to Bake – Her mother’s special Pound cake and Christmas cookies
- Children’s Books Growing Up – “Green Eggs and Ham” by Dr. Seuss, “Charlotte’s Web” by E. B. White, and “Anne of Green Gables” by Lucy Maud Montgomery
- Memory Of 1992 Olympics Apart From Winning The Gold – The Opening Ceremony
Source – Olympic, Huffington Post, NY Post, ABC News, Ice Network
Kristi Yamaguchi Facts
- Most of her childhood was spent in Fremont, California.
- She was born club feet.
- A snow globe with her figurine inside has been created by Hallmark.
- She and her husband, Bret own homes in Raleigh, North Carolina, Fremont, California, and Brainerd, Minnesota.
- Kristi considers herself to be more of a morning person; waking up around 7 A.M.
- In her free time, she likes to read, go walking or do something active.
- She has also written several children’s books namely, “Cara’s Kindness”, “It’s a Big World, Little Pig!”, “Dream Big Little Pig!” and “Always Dream” with illustrator Tim Bowers.
- She is a terrible singer.
- Kristi loves cooking and baking.
- Her closet mainly consists of shoes.
- She was being inducted into the U.S. Olympic Hall of Fame in December 2005.
- In 2018, she received the Jesse Owens Olympic Spirit Award from United States Olympic Committee (USOC).
- When she is at home, she prefers jeans and a polar fleece, while for her evening out, she wears close-fitting to extenuate her petite figure.
- Her sparkly gold and black costume which she wore for her finals in the 1992 Olympics, along with the gold medal, is put up for public display at the U.S. Figure Skating Museum in Colorado Springs.
- She has also released workout DVDs and founded the Always Dream Foundation and the Tsuya Brand.
- Check out her activewear clothing @ tsuyabrand.com.
- Follow her on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Featured Image by Kristi Yamaguchi / Instagram