|Kumar Mangalam Birla Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 8 in|
|Date of Birth||June 14, 1967|
Kumar Mangalam Birla is an Indian entrepreneur and billionaire who is the chairman of Aditya Birla Group as well as the Indian Institute of Technology Delhi and Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad. Besides that, he is also the chancellor of the Birla Institute of Technology & Science.
Kumar Mangalam Birla
Kolkata, West Bengal, India
Birla completed his high school from the Sydenham College of Commerce and Economics. Later, he enrolled at the H.R. College of Commerce and Economics of the University of Mumbai from where he attained a bachelor’s degree.
Thereafter, he went on to pursue a Masters in Business Administration degree from the London Business School and attained honorary.
He is also a Chartered Accountant who attained his certification from the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI).
- Father – Aditya Vikram Birla (Former Indian Industrialist)
- Mother – Rajashree Birla (Philanthropist)
- Siblings – Vasavadatta Bajaj (Sister)
- Others – Basant Kumar (Paternal Grandfather) (Businessman), Sarala Birla (Paternal Grandmother), Ghanshyam Das Birla (Paternal Great Grandfather) (Businessman), Baldeo Das Birla (Paternal Great Great Grandfather) (Businessman, Philanthropist)
5 ft 8 in or 173 cm
75 kg or 165.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Mr. Birla’s name has been linked with –
- Neerja Birla (1989-Present) – The couple has 3 children, a boy named Aryaman Vikram Birla (b. July 9, 1997) and 2 daughters named Ananya Birla (b. July 17, 1994) and Advaitesha Birla. Aryaman is a cricketer and Ananya is a well-known singer, songwriter, entrepreneur, and mental health advocate.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Marwari heritage.
- Sports a thick mustache
- Wears a pair of rectangular glasses
Kumar Mangalam Birla Facts
- Birla’s generation is the 4th generation of the Marwari Birla family who is originally from Rajasthan.
- He was brought up in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
- Birla was announced as the new chairman of the Aditya Birla Group in 1995 after his father Aditya Vikram Birla passed away. His good entrepreneurial skills helped his family business raise its income inflow from US$3.33 Billion in 1995 to US$48.3 billion by 2019.
- His great great great great grandfather Baldeo Das Birla was adopted by Shiv Narain Birla who did not have children of his own and later, passed down his business to Baldeo Das.
- In 2014, Birla bought a sea-facing Jatia house for an estimated INR 425 crore in Mumbai.
- He has served as the chairman of Vodafone Idea Limited. In August 2021, he stepped down as Vodafone Idea’s Non-Executive Chairman and Non-Executive Director.
- With time, he has received various awards such as the International Advertising Association’s “CEO of the Year Award” in 2016, the US India Business Council’s “Global Leadership Award” in 2014, Economic Times “Business Leader Award” in 2003 and 2013, Forbes India Leadership Award – Flagship Award “Entrepreneur of the Year 2012.”
Featured Image By Ashoka Birla Group / Facebook