|Laila Mehdin Quick Info
|5 ft 3 in
|Date of Birth
|October 24, 1980
Laila Mehdin is an Indian actress who has worked in Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam, Kannada, and Hindi language films. She is best known for her critically acclaimed acting performances in Tamil films Nandha (2001) and Pithamagan (2003), and for being part of the leading cast in several Tamil-language blockbuster films. After her marriage in 2006, she took a 13-year hiatus from acting and returned with a lead role in the 2019 crime thriller Tamil-language film titled Alice.
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
Laila completed her primary and secondary education from local institutions in her hometown of Mumbai. She then graduated from University with a Bachelor of Arts degree. She also trained, as a ballerina, at the Royal Academy of Dancing in London.
5 ft 3 in or 160 cm
56 kg or 123.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Laila has dated –
- Mohammed Mehdin (1998–Present) – Laila started dating Mumbai-based businessman of Iranian heritage, Mohammed Mehdin in 1998 and they got engaged in 2002. They eventually got married on January 6, 2006, and have 2 sons together
Race / Ethnicity
She is of Goan descent.
- Dimpled Smile
- Petite frame
- Frizzy, neck-length, wavy hair
Laila has appeared in the TV commercial for the readymade flavored milk brand Aachi Badam Milk.
Laila Mehdin Favorite Things
- Hobbies/Interests – Digital Photography, Playing the Violin, Listening to Music
- Food – Sambar Rice
- Actors – Pierce Brosnan, Sean Connery
Source – Laila.net
Laila Mehdin Facts
- She was born and raised in Mumbai but is of Goan heritage.
- She is also a polyglot and can speak Tamil, English, Hindi, Telugu, Malayalam, and French fluently.
- Laila made her acting debut in the Shah Rukh Khan and Salman Khan-starrer 1996 movie Dushman Duniya Ka. She was modeling at that time in Mumbai and was selected by veteran comedian and actor Mehmood who was directing the film. The film bombed at the box office despite its star cast. Laila then got her big break in Telugu language films where she made a good first impression.
- After her first few films in the Telugu movie industry, Laila began to receive several offers from prominent directors to feature in Tamil-language films. After rejecting a few offers, she signed on to star in the lead role in the 1997 film VIP after the first choice Indo-American actress Pooja Kumar dropped out of the project. However, Laila too left the project after the film’s producer asked her to change her stage name to Pooja as the invitations for the film had already been printed. Laila also revealed that she was upset because she had been kept in dark about another actress playing a key role in the film despite having been promised a solo starring role.
- Laila won the “Best Actress” award at the Filmfare Awards South for her portrayal of the character of Kalyani in the 2001 film Nandha and the portrayal of the character of Manju in the 2003 film Pithamagan.
- For Pithamagan, she also won the “Best Actress” award at the Tamil Nadu State Film Awards as well as at the International Tamil Film Awards.
- In late 2018 and 2019, she was part of the jury, along with fellow actresses Sudha Chandran and Sneha, for the dance-based reality TV competition show Dance Jodi Dance Juniors on the Zee Tamil TV channel.
- Laila is an animal lover and it is one of her stated goals to become an animal rights activist.
Featured Image by Laila Mehdin / Instagram