|Lauryn Hill Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 3½ in|
|Date of Birth||May 26, 1975|
Lauryn Hill is an American singer, songwriter, rapper, record producer, and actor. Regarded by many as one of the greatest rappers of all time, she has been a member of the hip-hop group named Fugees. The group’s discography consists of albums and tracks like Blunted on Reality, The Score, Killing Me Softly, Nappy Heads, Vocab, Fu-Gee-La, Ready or Not, Rumble in the Jungle (ft. A Tribe Called Quest, Busta Rhymes, and John Forté), Take It Easy, and No Woman, No Cry. Lauryn Hill is one of the most influential musicians of her generation and her solo debut album The Miseducation Of Lauryn Hill was released in 1998. In addition to her musical career, she has also branched out as an actor and has been a part of shows and movies such as King of the Hill, As the World Turns, Here and Now, Hav Plenty, Restaurant, and Sister Act 2: Back in the Habit. She has been inducted into the Black Music & Entertainment Walk of Fame and Billboard named her the 7th greatest rapper of all time on their “10 Best Rappers of All Time” list in 2015.
Lauryn Noelle Hill
Ms. Lauryn Hill, L. Boogie
East Orange, New Jersey, United States
Lauryn Hill attended Columbia High School, where she excelled in almost every facet of school education. She took advanced permanent classes and was well known for achieving A grades in almost every subject. She graduated from high school in 1993.
Singer, Songwriter, Rapper, Record Producer, Actor
- Father – Mal Hill (Management and computer consultant)
- Mother – Valerie Hill (English Teacher)
- Siblings – Malaney Hill (Older Brother)
Lauryn Hill can be reached through Sony BMG Music Entertainment, Inc.
She has also been signed with United Talent Agency, Talent Agency, Beverly Hills, California, United States.
R&B, soul, neo-soul, hip hop, folk, reggae
Columbia Records, Ruffhouse Records, Island Records
Her net worth had been $9 Million according to CelebrityNetWorth.com.
5 ft 3½ in or 161.5 cm
55 kg or 121.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Lauryn Hill has dated –
- Wyclef Jean – Lauryn was in a relationship with singer and musician Wyclef Jean in the early years of their music band. Their relationship was very volatile and tumultuous during the entirety of its existence. They were even involved after Jean got married to Marie Claudinette. After the breakup of their band, he admitted that their complicated relationship was one of the factors that led to the dissolution of the band. He also claimed that he was the father of her first child. However, Rohan Marley (Lauryn’s first child’s actual father) later rubbished such claims.
- Kendu Isaacs (1994) – In 1994, Lauryn Hill was allegedly going out with music manager Kendu Isaacs, who would later be widely known for his marriage to Mary J. Blige.
- Rohan Marley (1996-2008) – Lauryn first met former NFL player and entrepreneur, Rohan Marley, who is the son of reggae legend Bob Marley, in the summer of 1996. They began dating soon after. During the initial stages of their relationship, Lauryn was reported to be involved with Jean as well. In August 1997, they welcomed their first child, Zion David. David was followed by Selah Louise (b. November 1998), Joshua (b. January 2002), John (b. 2003), and Sarah (b. January 2008) over the following years. They eventually decided to part ways in 2008.
- In July 2011, she gave birth to her 6th child, a boy named Micah. Furthermore, it has been clarified that Marley isn’t his father and Lauryn has opted to keep the identity of Micah’s father firmly under wraps.
Race / Ethnicity
Lauryn Hill is of African-American descent.
- Often wears some kind of hat or cap for her performances
- A unique sense of style
Hill was raised in a Baptist household.
However, her religious beliefs as an adult are too eclectic and frantic to be defined clearly.
Best Known For
- Being a member of the popular hip hop group, Fugees. The band is best known for the success of their studio album, The Score, which is considered one of the best-selling albums of all time. The album has also won 2 Grammy awards.
- The commercial success and critical acclaim garnered by her studio album, The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill, which debuted at the very top of the US Billboard 200 charts
- Her public and constant criticism of the pop music industry and other societal institutions, which have provoked inflamed responses on a number of occasions
In August 1998, she released her debut studio album, The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill, which sold over 420,000 records within a week of the release. It also made her the first female artist to achieve this feat.
In 1993, she made her theatrical film debut in the historical drama movie, King of the Hill.
First TV Show
In 1991, Lauryn Hill made her first TV show appearance in the romantic drama series As the World Turns.
Lauryn Hill Facts
- While studying in high school, she was a member of the cheerleading team. She was also a part of the track team.
- She started taking violin and dance classes at a fairly young age. Lauryn was also the founding member of the gospel choir in high school.
- While she was studying in high school, she met Prakazrel “Pras” Michel through mutual friends. Eventually, Michel approached her to form a music group, Tranzlator Crew.
- Michel and Hill eventually replaced one of the vocalists in their group with his cousin Wyclef Jean. They began their musical journey by performing in high school talent shows and local events.
- They eventually decided to rename their group The Fugees, a name that was taken from the derogatory term used to call Haitian refugees.
- She played Rita Louise Watson in the 1993 musical comedy film Sister Act 2: Back in the Habit.
- In 1998, she co-starred as Leslie in the independent film Restaurant.
- She has established a non-profit organization called the Refugee Camp Youth Project. The organization works to raise funds for the inner-city youth and also runs a summer camp in New Jersey.
- In June 2012, she was slapped with 3 counts of tax fraud as she had avoided paying taxes on her income from 2005 to 2007. She eventually pleaded guilty and agreed to pay all her taxes.
- However, after she failed to fulfill her promise, the judge handed her 3 months of prison sentence in May 2013. Also, her prison sentence could have been extended to 36 months depending on certain conditions. The prison sentence was to be followed by 3 months of house arrest, which was to be a part of her year-long supervised probation. In October 2013, she was released early from prison because of her good behavior and the lack of previous criminal records.
- She holds several Guinness World Records including one for being the first female rapper to earn a ‘Diamond’ certification in the United States.
Featured Image by Lisa Liang / Flickr / CC BY 2.0