|Lester Holt Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 2 in|
|Date of Birth||March 8, 1959|
Lester Holt is an award-winning American journalist and news anchor who is well-known as the presenter of NBC Nightly News (2015-Present) and Dateline NBC (2011-Present). He has more than 600k followers on Twitter and more than 200k followers on Instagram and over 300k followers on Facebook.
Lester Don Holt Jr.
San Francisco, California, United States
New York City, New York, United States
Los Angeles, California, United States
Lester went to college for 2 years. However, he has 2 honorary doctorate degrees from Pepperdine University and California State University, Sacramento.
Journalist, News Anchor
- Father – Lester Don Holt, Sr. (Worked in Air Force)
- Mother – June DeRozario
- Siblings – He has 3 older siblings.
6 ft 2 in or 188 cm
76 kg or 167.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Lester has dated –
- Carol Hagen (1982-Present) – The Dateline host is married to real estate agent Carol Hagen since 1982. They have 2 sons together – Cameron Holt, who works as a financial analyst and Stefan Holt, who is a journalist and news anchor like his father.
Race / Ethnicity
Multiracial (White, Black, Asian)
He has African-American ancestry on his father’s side and is of English, African-Jamaican, and Indian descent on his mother’s side.
However, his hair has streaks of gray due to his advanced age.
Lester Holt Favorite Things
- Episode Of The Office – Diversity Day
- Food – Enchiladas
- Olympic Host Cities – Athens, Vancouver
- Vacation Spot – Paris
- Cuisine – Mexican
- Horror Movies – The Hills Have Eyes (1977, 1984, 2006, 2007), The Descent (2005)
Lester Holt Facts
- He became the first solo anchor of African-American descent to host a weekday network nightly newscast when he took over the hosting duties of NBC Nightly News from Brian Williams in 2015.
- He plays the bass guitar as a way to relieve stress.
- Holt moderated the first Presidential debate of 2016 with candidates Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton. He received widespread acclaim for challenging and fact-checking the false claims made by Trump.
- Lester loves airplanes.
- He was raised on an Air Force base.
- Lester, when was a high school senior, supported a bill in the Californian legislature that would have allowed 17 years old people to vote.
- In 1979, Lester was rejected for a job at WNBC which is the flagship radio station of NBC. In the rejection letter, he was told that he was not of the type that they were looking for.
- Lester is terrified of snakes.
- In the mid-’90s, he had recorded a juror instruction video that still plays in the Cook County Court in Chicago.
- He likes Mexican food a lot and can eat it daily.
- He likes watching horror movies.
- Lester left Chicago to join MSNBC and before sharing base, he shaved off his mustache which he had kept his entire career on TV. He did so after experiencing a bad of skiing and some beer cans.
- From the age of 8 to 12, he stayed in Alaska because his father was posted there at Elmendorf Air Force Base in Anchorage.
- He has also sung in the church as a kid. He was the lead singer.
- For the medical drama series House, he has recorded 2 songs for their soundtrack along with a band.
- Growing up, on his bucket list, he had mentioned running with the bulls in Spain. However, after he got a job at NBC, that thing got left in between.
- Once he was required to jump off a plane using a parachute along with the interviewee. He denied doing that. That is the only assignment he has ever denied.
- Though his main residence is new New York, he also anchors NBC Nightly News from the L.A. studio. For that reason, he has maintained his secondary residence in Los Angeles.
- He can also speak the Italian language.
- Lester likes baking desserts, especially cobblers and pies.
- He prefers having tart over chocolate soufflé.
- He is a morning person.
- He always keeps the latest devices. He travels with 2 phones, an iPad, a laptop, and an Apple Watch.
- Lester has also tried his hands at stand-up comedy.
Featured Image by Ninian Reid / Flickr / CC BY 2.0