|Letitia Wright Quick Info
|5 ft 5 in
|Date of Birth
|October 31, 1993
Letitia Wright is an actress from Guyana whose family shifted base to London, England when she was 7. Hence, she spent most of her childhood in England and also studied there. She has also appeared in several Marvel Comics-based superhero movies such as Avengers: Infinity War, Black Panther, etc where she played the role as Shuri.
Letitia Michelle Wright
North London, United Kingdom
Guyanese and British
Letitia finished her high school education from London.
At the age of 16, she enrolled for a part-time acting course at Identity School of Acting in East London. Upon graduating, she started getting acting jobs.
She also studied for a Bachelor’s degree in Arts and Psychology.
- Mother – a teacher
- Siblings – Possibly have two half-siblings from her mother’s second marriage, one of them being a brother.
Letitia was formerly with The Gersh Agency, switched to William Morris Endeavor (WME), USA in August 2017.
She is also represented by Identity Agency Group, UK.
5 ft 5 in or 165 cm
51 kg or 112.5 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
She has African Guyanese ancestry.
Letitia might possibly have a distant connection to Hispanic ancestry, owing to the location of her birth country which is surrounded by nations rich in Latino culture.
- Usually keeps her hair short that gives the impression of androgynous facial features.
- Typical African-American wide, flat nose
- Very lean, slender face and body
Letitia was cast in the Super Bowl commercial for the promotion of the premiere of Black Panther as well as the Lexus LC 500 (2018).
Best Known For
- Playing the breakout role of Shuri in Marvel Universe’s Black Panther (2018) and Avengers: Infinity War.
- Playing Reb in the adventure sci-fi Ready Player One (2018) produced and directed by Steven Spielberg.
Letitia was cast as a teenager named Nyla in the British drama Victim (2011).
First TV Show
Letitia had a 2-episode guest role as Ellie Maynard in the British medical drama called Holby City aired on BBC One in 2011.
Letitia Wright Favorite Things
- Activities During Break On Film Sets – Watching Netflix, reading books, talking to the second Assistant Director
- Actress – Naomie Harris, Viola Davis
- TV Show – Breaking Bad (2008–2013)
- Video Game – Tekken
- Film – Ratcatcher (1999), Juno (2007)
- Guilty Pleasure – Sweet Popcorn, Pick ‘n’ Mix (Bulk mix of all kinds of candy such as gummy bears and chocolates)
- Medium To Watch TV Shows / Movies – Netflix
Letitia Wright Facts
- Letitia was inspired to become an actress after watching Keke Palmer’s role in the film Akeelah and the Bee (2006).
- Had her acting career not taken off, she would have majored in psychology and pursued a career in that field.
- Moving to cold and detached London where everybody kept to themselves, coming from the intimate, friendly community in Guyana, Letitia experienced a massive culture shock. To fit in, she picked up the London accent fast by practicing it in front of the mirror every day.
- Films became Letitia’s primary source of education of the local British culture and she enacted several scenes at home for hours.
- She credits a lot of her success to Femi Oguns, the founder of Identity School of Acting. Letitia shared that he challenged stereotypes on her behalf. He often booked her to test for Caucasian roles and got her jobs that she normally would not audition for.
- After 2011, for nearly a year, she booked no roles and had to take up a job in the hospitality industry to support herself financially.
- At the age of 20, the obsession with getting a breakthrough in acting put Letitia in depression. Her actor friend Malachi Kirby took her to an actors’ Bible study at the Anchor of Hope church in East London which initiated her emotional healing.
- Letitia regularly prays for mental wellness and claims to be in a serious relationship with Jesus. As such she does not feel comfortable wearing sexy or revealing clothes and is completely against nudity in acting roles.
- Her character Shuri in Black Panther (2018) is the most intelligent character in Marvel Universe and is deemed brighter than even Tony Stark.
- She stated that her role in Urban Hymn (2015) of a young offender was emotionally draining and was one of the most challenging roles she ever signed up for.
- Urban Hymn director Michael Caton-Jones who directed Leonardo DiCaprio in his third movie which had him in the main role for the first time was extremely impressed by Letitia’s acting prowess. He stated that Letitia is as talented as Leonardo.
- Right before filming Black Panther, Letitia wrapped Steven Spielberg’s production and was completely smitten by the famous director-producer’s humility despite many years of acclaim in Hollywood.
- After wrapping Black Panther (2018), Letitia’s first major purchase was to gift herself a vacation to Saint Lucia in the Caribbean Island.
- When not filming, the actress likes skateboarding and playing video games. Signing any movie contract forbids her from skateboarding because actors are not allowed to indulge in activities that have the potential to cause serious injury.
- Letitia is a talented freestyle rapper as well and frequently got into intense rap battles with fellow co-star Lupita Nyong’o on the sets of Black Panther. Her rap name is MC Baby Underbite.
- The British Academy Film Awards deemed her as one of the 18 breakthrough Brits in 2015.
- In December 2020, Letitia deleted her Instagram and Twitter accounts after getting an adverse reaction from the fans. Fans were upset about the fact that Letitia questioned if we should take the upcoming coronavirus vaccine.
- In August 2021, Letitia was hospitalized after sustaining minor injuries while filming a stunt on the set of Black Panther: Wakanda Forever.
- During the 2022 British Independent Film Awards, Letitia won the award for “Best Joint Lead Performance” along with Tamara Lawrance for The Silent Twins.
Featured Image by Letitia Wright / Instagram