|Lil Nas X Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 1 in|
|Date of Birth||April 9, 1999|
Lil Nas X is an American rapper, singer, and songwriter who gained fame with the release of his single titled Old Town Road in 2018. The song became widely popular on TikTok while also charting at the number 1 position in several music charts and was certified ‘5× Platinum’ by Australian Recording Industry Association (ARIA), ‘3× Platinum’ by Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA), ‘2× Platinum’ by Recorded Music NZ, and ‘Platinum’ by BPI (British Recorded Music Industry) Limited. Apart from its huge success, it also became a part of a controversy after Billboard decided to remove it from the Hot Country Songs chart in March 2019. Lil Nas X has also released a couple of other singles, EPs, and mixtapes which include the likes of 7, Panini, and Nasarati. In 2019, he was also nominated for the Teen Choice Awards in several categories like “Choice Male Artist” and “Choice Breakout Artist”. During his school years, he used to play trumpets but later quit playing trumpets for the fear of looking uncool. Moreover, Lil Nas X has also garnered a huge social media fan base with more than 2.5 million followers on Twitter, more than 4.5 million subscribers on YouTube, more than 4 million followers on Instagram, and more than 200k followers on Facebook.
Montero Lamar Hill
Lil Nas X
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Los Angeles, California, United States
Lil Nas X went to Lithia Springs High School which is a public high school located on East County Line Road, in Lithia Springs, Georgia, United States and graduated high school in the year 2017. Later, he got enrolled at the University of West Georgia located in Carrollton, Georgia but decided to drop out just after a year at the university.
Rapper, Singer, Songwriter
Lil Nas X is represented by Creative Artists Agency (CAA), Los Angeles, California, United States.
Hip Hop, country rap, pop, pop-rock, trap, pop-rap
6 ft 1 in or 185.5 cm (via Lil Nas X’s Driver License)
75 kg or 165.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Lil Nas X has dated –
- Yai Ariza – In an August 2021 interview, Lil Nas X revealed that he was in a relationship and even called this person “the one”. However, in September 2021, during an interview on SiriusXM’s Andy Cohen Live, he revealed that he was single. Later, he confirmed that he was formerly dating the dancer from his That’s What I Want music video, Yai Ariza.
Race / Ethnicity
Lil Nas X is of African-American descent.
Lil Nas X came out as gay on June 30, 2019, which happens to be the last day of the Pride Month. He tweeted, “some of y’all already know, some of y’all don’t care, some of y’all not gone fwmno more. but before this month ends i want y’all to listen closely to c7osure.” His next day’s tweet highlighted the rainbow-colored building on the cover art of his EP titled “7”, with a caption citing he “deadass thought [he] made it obvious”.
- Lean physique
- Pierced Ears
- In 2020, he was seen in the Super Bowl commercial for Doritos.
- He appeared in Logitech’s Super Bowl commercial in 2021 alongside Meg Kaylee, Leah Thomas, Mercedes Bazan, and many more.
Best Known For
- Releasing his single, Old Town Road, in 2018 which got extremely popular and topped several music charts, like Billboard Hot 100, Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart, ARIA Charts, UK Singles Chart, and Official New Zealand Music Chart, while also getting involved in a controversy with Billboard
- Having been nominated for Teen Choice Awards in 2019 in several categories such as “Choice Male Artist”, “Choice Breakout Artist”, “Choice Song: Male Artist” for Old Town Road, and “Choice Collaboration” as well as “Choice R&B Hip-Hop Song” for Old Town Road (Remix) (featuring Billy Ray Cyrus)
As a Singer
Lil Nas X released his debut EP, 7, on June 21, 2019, via Columbia Records and it was ranked at number #1 in the Canadian Albums Chart, at number #2 in the Billboard 200 chart, at number #5 in the ARIA Charts, and at number #6 in the Official New Zealand Music Chart.
He has also released several singles and mixtapes such as Nasarati, Old Town Road, and Panini.
First TV Show
Lil Nas X made his first TV show appearance as ‘Himself’ in an episode, titled On Deckington, of the comedy talk-show series, Desus & Mero, in May 2019.
Lil Nas X has maintained a lean physique by working out on a regular basis.
Lil Nas X Favorite Things
- Favorite Nicki Minaj Song – Miami
Source – The Ellen Show
Lil Nas X Facts
- His parents got divorced when Lil Nas X was just 6 years old and afterward, he got settled, along with his mother and grandmother, in the Bankhead Courts housing project.
- He decided to move in with his father who lived in Austell, Cobb County, Georgia after around 3 years of the separation of his parents. He relocated because, according to him, “There’s so much shit going on in Atlanta—if I would have stayed there, I would have fallen in with the wrong crowd.”
- Lil Nas X was in 4th grade when he started playing trumpet and was the first chair by his junior high years. However, he soon decided to quit because he feared that it would make him look uncool.
- After he dropped out of the university, he stayed with his sister and worked different jobs which included working at Zaxby’s and Six Flags Over Georgia.
- At the beginning of his career, Lil Nas X was not very sure about what to focus on creatively and tried his hand at different things. He made fan accounts such as FactsAboutNM and NasMaraj which gained much popularity. ‘NasMaraj’ was named after famous rapper Nas and rapper and pop singer, Nicki Minaj, whose actual last name is ‘Maraj’. However, when media started connecting him with the account, he denied his involvement.
- Lil Nas X also tried making it big by becoming an internet personality and made short-format comedy videos on Facebook and Vine.
- He released his single, Old Town Road, on December 3, 2018, and the song became very popular amongst the audience, especially on TikTok due to the “Yeehaw Challenge” meme. It was ranked at number #1 in several music charts such as Billboard Hot 100, Hot R&B /Hip-Hop Songs, ARIA Charts, Canadian Hot 100, Official New Zealand Music Chart, and UK Singles Chart and was also certified ‘5× Platinum’ by Australian Recording Industry Association (ARIA), ‘3× Platinum’ by Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA), ‘2× Platinum’ by Recorded Music NZ, and ‘Platinum’ by BPI (British Recorded Music Industry) Limited.
- Old Town Road soon spurred controversy in March 2019 after Billboard controversially removed the song from the Hot Country Songs chart telling Rolling Stone magazine that “Upon further review, it was determined that “Old Town Road” by Lil Nas X does not currently merit inclusion on Billboard’s country charts. When determining genres, a few factors are examined, but first and foremost is a musical composition. While “Old Town Road” incorporates references to country and cowboy imagery, it does not embrace enough elements of today’s country music to chart in its current version.”
- Essayist and music journalist, Robert Christgau described Billboard‘s decision citing that “Taking ‘Old Town Road’ off the country chart strikes me as racist pure and simple because country radio remains racist regardless of the Darius Rucker and Kane Browns it makes room for.” However, Billboard has denied all the racial accusations.
- Lil Nas X and singer Billy Ray Cyrus collaborated on a remix of Old Town Road which was released in April 2019. They also performed together at the 2019 BET Awards.
- Old Town Road also helped Lil Nas X break Drake‘s record for the most U.S. streams in one week by gaining 143 million streams for the week ending April 11 and surpassed 116.2 million streams in one week in July 2018 by Drake’s song titled In My Feelings. It also became the first-ever hip hop song to achieve its 13th week at the top spot on the Billboard 100 chart in July 2019.
- Old Town Road also became the 10th single ever to achieve its 14th week at the top.
- Lil Nas X released his 2nd single, titled Panini, on June 20, 2019, via Columbia Records which was ranked at number #9 in the U.S. Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart, at number #12 in the Canadian Hot 100 chart, and at number #16 in the Billboard Hot 100 chart.
- After he came out as gay in June 2019, he expressed in an interview on BBC Breakfast that he realized that homophobia is still an issue both in the country as well as in the rap music communities. Although Lil Nas X received much love and support from people after he came out, he also received a backlash on social media and also from the hip hop community. The whole scenario brought in light the concerning issue of homophobia in hip-hop culture.
- Lil Nas X’s first celebrity crush was Usher.
- If he could join any boyband, it would be BTS.
- In January 2021, Lil Nas X released his children’s book titled C Is For Country.
- He purchased his first home in March 2021.
- His 2021 single, Montero (Call Me By Your Name) became his 2nd song to achieve the number 1 rank on the Billboard Hot 100 chart.
- Lil Nas X had graced the cover of Entertainment Weekly‘s Pride issue in 2021.
- In May 2021, he had appeared in Saturday Night Live (SNL) and suffered a wardrobe malfunction that was not intentional.
- In July 2021, he released the “uncensored” version of the music video of his new song Industry Baby.
- In August 2021, Lil Nas X revealed that he was almost into acting as he was offered to appear in Euphoria. However, he rejected it as he wanted to focus fully on his music career.
- In September 2021, Lil Nas X released his debut studio album titled Montero. Later that month, he released the music video of his new track, That’s What I Want.
- During the 2021 MTV Video Music Awards, Lil Nas X won the awards for “Video of the Year”, “Best Direction”, and “Best Visual Effects” for his song Montero (Call Me By Your Name).
- In March 2022, Lil Nas X won the award for “Male Artist of the Year” at the 2022 iHeartRadio Music Awards.
- Along with Jack Harlow, Lil Nas X received the award for “Top Rap Song” at the 2022 Billboard Music Awards for their song Industry Baby.
- In September 2022, his wax statue was installed at the Madame Tussauds Museum in Los Angeles, California.
Featured Image by Lil Nas X / Instagram