BTS is a South Korean group that made its debut in 2013. Since then, the 7-member boy band has become a global phenomenon and is arguably, the best export out of the Korean Wave. Some of their critically-acclaimed songs are DNA, Mic Drop, Blood Sweat & Tears, Fake Love, and Spring Day. Their unparalleled success in overseas markets earned them a place in Time Magazine‘s list of the ‘100 Most Influential People in the World’ in 2019.
- Jin – Vocalist
- Suga – Rapper
- J-Hope – Rapper
- RM – Leader, Rapper
- Jimin – Vocalist
- V – Vocalist
- Jungkook – Vocalist
Seoul, South Korea
K-pop, Hip Hop, R&B, EDM
- Big Hit Entertainment
- Def Jam Japan
- Pony Canyon
- Columbia Records
- Their debut album titled Dark & Wild (2014) included singles like Danger, War of Hormone, Let Me Know, etc. It climbed at #3 on the Gaon Monthly Album Charts.
- Their 2nd Korean album, Wings (2016) became the best-selling album of 2016. The breakout song Blood Sweat & Tears was included among the ’20 Best K-pop Songs of 2016′ by Billboard and Dazed magazines.
- In 2018, BTS released Love Yourself: Tear, which was certified ‘gold’ in Japan (RIAJ) and ‘2× million’ in South Korea (KMCA).
- Map of the Soul: 7, released in February 2020, debuted at the top spot on the US Billboard 200 charts.
- The band’s 4th Japanese album Map of the Soul: 7 – The Journey (2020) was certified ‘3x platinum’ in Japan and peaked at #1 on the Billboard US World Albums chart.
- RM learned English by watching the popular sitcom Friends and is the only English speaker in the group.
- BTS is the acronym for Bangtan Sonyeondan (which means ‘Bulletproof Boy Scouts’ in Korean).
- Their dedicated fans are known as the ARMY, which spells out as ‘Adorable Representative M.C. for Youth’.
- In 2020, BTS and their label Big Hit Entertainment came together to donate US$1 million to the Black Lives Matter movement.
- The band became the first K-pop group to receive their very own Twitter emoji in 2016.
- Additionally, they are also the first Korean group to perform at the American Music Awards in 2017 and Dick Clark‘s New Year’s Rockin’ Eve 2018.
- BTS won 2 awards during American Music Awards 2020 – Favorite Social Artist and Favorite Duo or Group – Pop/Rock.
Featured Image by TenAsia / Wikimedia / CC BY 3.0