BTS is a South Korean group that made its debut in 2013. Since then, the 7-member boy band has become a global phenomenon and is arguably, the best export out of the Korean Wave. Some of their critically-acclaimed songs are DNA, Mic Drop, Blood Sweat & Tears, Fake Love, and Spring Day. Their unparalleled success in overseas markets earned them a place in Time Magazine‘s list of the ‘100 Most Influential People in the World’ in 2019.
- Jin – Vocalist
- Suga – Rapper
- J-Hope – Rapper
- RM – Leader, Rapper
- Jimin – Vocalist
- V – Vocalist
- Jungkook – Vocalist
Seoul, South Korea
K-pop, Hip Hop, R&B, EDM
- Big Hit Entertainment
- Def Jam Japan
- Pony Canyon
- Columbia Records
- Their debut album titled Dark & Wild (2014) included singles like Danger, War of Hormone, Let Me Know, etc. It climbed at #3 on the Gaon Monthly Album Charts.
- Their 2nd Korean album, Wings (2016) became the best-selling album of 2016. The breakout song Blood Sweat & Tears was included among the ’20 Best K-pop Songs of 2016′ by Billboard and Dazed magazines.
- In 2018, BTS released Love Yourself: Tear, which was certified ‘gold’ in Japan (RIAJ) and ‘2× million’ in South Korea (KMCA).
- Map of the Soul: 7, released in February 2020, debuted at the top spot on the US Billboard 200 charts.
- The band’s 4th Japanese album Map of the Soul: 7 – The Journey (2020) was certified ‘3x platinum’ in Japan and peaked at #1 on the Billboard US World Albums chart.
- RM learned English by watching the popular sitcom Friends and is the only English speaker in the group.
- BTS is the acronym for Bangtan Sonyeondan (which means ‘Bulletproof Boy Scouts’ in Korean).
- Their dedicated fans are known as the ARMY, which spells out as ‘Adorable Representative M.C. for Youth’.
- In 2020, BTS and their label Big Hit Entertainment came together to donate US$1 million to the Black Lives Matter movement.
- The band became the first K-pop group to receive their very own Twitter emoji in 2016.
- Additionally, they are also the first Korean group to perform at the American Music Awards in 2017 and Dick Clark‘s New Year’s Rockin’ Eve 2018.
- BTS won 2 awards during American Music Awards 2020 – Favorite Social Artist and Favorite Duo or Group – Pop/Rock.
- In 2021, BTS (in collaboration with McDonald’s) launched their own limited-time McDonald’s meal called The BTS Meal in select restaurants in 49 countries. The first meal was made available on May 26, 2021, in the United States along with some other countries.
Featured Image by TenAsia / Wikimedia / CC BY 3.0