|Loretta Devine Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 6½ in|
|Date of Birth||August 21, 1949|
Loretta Devine is an American actress and singer who is known for her portrayal of Lorrell Robinson in the Broadway production Dreamgirls. Other than that, she has also made appearances in several other popular shows and films such as Grey’s Anatomy, Everybody Hates Chris, Waiting to Exhale, The Preacher’s Wife, Hoodlum, I Am Sam, Urban Legend, What Women Want, Kingdom Come, Crash, Woman Thou Art Loosed, Class Act, For Colored Girls, This Christmas, First Sunday, Beverly Hills Chihuahua, and Jumping the Broom.
Houston, Texas, United States
Loretta studied at George Washington Carver High School. Later, she attained a Bachelor of Arts degree in Speech and Drama from the University of Houston in 1971.
She then went on to enroll herself at Brandeis University from where she graduated with a Master of Fine Arts in Theater in 1976.
- Father – James Devine (Laborer)
- Mother – Eunice O’Neal Toliver (Beautician)
- Siblings – She has 5 siblings.
Loretta is represented by Innovative Artists and Essential Talent Management.
5 ft 6½ in or 169 cm
90 kg or 198.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Loretta has dated –
- Lamar Tyler (1973-2008)
- Glenn Marshall (2001-Present) – Loretta and financial analyst Glenn Marshall got engaged to one another in April 2001.
Race / Ethnicity
She is of African-American descent.
- Thin eyebrow and lips
- Snub nose
- Curvaceous physical appearance
Loretta has appeared in the commercials for various brands including McDonald’s.
Through her social media, Loretta has either endorsed or promoted various brands such as Easy Spirit.
Loretta Devine Facts
- She was single-handedly raised by her mother alongside her 5 siblings in the Acres Homes area of Houston.
- Loretta was inducted into the Epsilon Lambda Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha.
- In high school, she took part in several talent shows.
- She made her debut feature film appearance in Will in 1981. Later, in 1983, Loretta made her first TV show appearance in Jerry Lewis MDA Labor Day Telethon.
- Devine got her big break with her appearance as Stevie Rallen in A Different World in 1987, alongside the likes of actress Lisa Bonet, Kadeem Hardison, and Jasmine Guy.
- She made her first Broadway appearance in A Broadway Musical in 1978.
- Her role as Adele Webber in Grey’s Anatomy (2005-2013), earned her a Primetime Emmy Award for “Outstanding Guest Actress in a Drama Series” in 2011.
- She piloted the role of Lorell in the Broadway production of Dreamgirls.
- Devine is friends with well-known actress Whitney Houston, Sheryl Lee Ralph, David Alan Grier, and Vesta Williams.
Featured Image By Angela George / Flickr / CC BY-SA 3.0