|Lupita Nyong’o Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 5 in|
|Date of Birth||March 1, 1983|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Lupita Nyong’o is a Kenyan-Mexican actress who is best known for portraying roles such as Nakia in Black Panther, Maz Kanata in Star Wars: The Force Awakens, Patsey in 12 Years a Slave, and Nakku Harriet in Queen of Katwe. She has also appeared in a variety of other TV shows and films such as East River, Non-Stop, The Jungle Book, The 355, Little Monsters, Shuga, Human Resources, and many more. Her theatre credits include plays like Romeo Y Julieta and Eclipsed. For her acting skills, Lupita has been honored with numerous awards such as the Emmy Award, Academy Award, Screen Actors Guild Award, and Critics’ Choice Movie Award.
Lupita Amondi Nyong’o
Mexico City, Mexico
New York City, U.S.
Kenyan and Mexican
Nyong’o knows Spanish also, which she learned from Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico‘s Learning Center for Foreigners in Taxco, Mexico.
She graduated from Yale School of Drama.
- Father – Peter Anyang’ Nyong’o (Kenyan politician and also served as a professor at the University of Nairobi in the past)
- Mother – Dorothy (Managing Director at Africa Cancer Foundation)
- Siblings – She has five siblings
- Others – Isis Nyong’o Madison (Older Cousin) (Media and technology leader in Africa), Tavia Nyong’o (Cousin) (Professor at New York University)
She is second out of six children.
5 ft 5 in or 165 cm
51 kg or 112.5 pounds
Boyfriend / Spouse
Lupita dated –
- Chiwetel Ejiofor (2012) – The on-screen romance between English actor Chiwetel and Lupita Nyong’o was RUMORed to went off-screen in 2012 when they were working for the film director Steve McQueen.
- Jared Leto (2014) – She had a fling with American musician and actor, Jared Leto in February 2014.
- K’Naan (2014) – She was RUMORed to be secretly dating Somali-born rapper K’Naan. It was believed that they both were dating since September 2013. It was confirmed by Yahoo in 2014.
- Michael B. Jordan (2018) – RUMOR
Race / Ethnicity
- Born in Mexico, raised in Kenya, and worked in the U.S.
- Short boy cut hairstyle
34-24-37 in or 86-61-94 cm
4 (US) or 36 (EU)
8.5 (US) or 39 (EU)
Lupita has advertised for Miu Miu Spring / Summer 2014 collection.
She endorsed Lancôme in April 2014.
Best Known For
Playing a supporting role as Patsey in the Oscar-winning 2013 historical drama film 12 Years a Slave. She also got to work with Brad Pitt in this film.
In 2008, Lupita appeared in a short film titled East River for her role as “F”.
First TV Show
In 2009, Lupita appeared in MTV’s soap opera Shuga for her role as Ayira. It was a Kenyan television miniseries.
She has a celebrity crush on Leonardo DiCaprio since the 1996 movie “Romeo + Juliet”.
Lupita has really toned arms. She might have done some arms workout, lately. You can also get her look by going through a series of exercises such as triceps press down, dumbbell lateral raise, alternating dumbbell biceps curl.
Lupita Nyong’o Facts
- She was born in Mexico and raised in Kenya.
- She started her film career from behind the camera when she was signed as a production assistant for the 2005 film “The Constant Gardener” for a week (Know more from the video below).
- For her performance in 12 Years a Slave, she won the Oscar in the category of “best-supporting actress” in 2014.
- Lupita is the first Mexican-born actress to win an Oscar.
- She once received advice from actor Ralph Fiennes to choose acting as a career, only if she cannot live without it; if possible, she should go into some other profession.
- She wanted to be an actress since the age of 5.
- She is also good at Spanish. She took Spanish classes in Mexico for about seven months.
- Lupita’s dad was a former Kenyan Minister for Medical Services.
- Her older cousin, Isis Nyong’o has also worked with InMobi, MTV, and Google in Africa and have been included in the list of Africa’s one of the most powerful women in 2012.
- In January 2022, Lupita revealed on social media that she had been tested positive for COVID-19 after being fully vaccinated.
- In July 2022, Lupita teamed up with the cosmetic brand Lancôme and awarded $10,000 scholarships to 40 students during the NAACP’s ACT-SO Awards.
- In 2019, she was featured on the cover of Vanity Fair‘s October issue. She has also been featured on the cover of numerous other magazines such as Grazia UK, The Sunday Times Magazine, and Elle.
- In March 2020, Forbes included her in the list of “50 Most Powerful Women”.