|Margaret Cho Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 5 in|
|Date of Birth||December 5, 1968|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Margaret Cho is an American stand-up comedian, actress, singer, songwriter, fashion designer, and author, best known for her stand-up comedy routines and stand-up tours across the United States, through which she spoke of political problems regarding sexuality and race, specifically LGBTQ+ community and Asian-Americans. She is also known for creating the ABC sitcom All-American Girl (1994-1995) and starring in it as Margaret Kim. She has also appeared as Teri Lee in the TV series Drop Dead Diva (2009-2014). Margaret also played the role of Dictator Kim Jong-il on 30 Rock (2011-2012), for which she was nominated for a Primetime Grammy Award in 2012 for “Outstanding Guest Actress in a Comedy Series.”
She has also appeared in movies such as Face/Off (1997), Sweethearts (1997), Can’t Stop Dancing (1999), Falling for Grace (2006), One Missed Call (2008), 17 Again (2009), Amelia’s 25th (2013), Wedding Palace (2013), Tooken (2015), Alaska Is a Drag (2017), and Bright (2017). As a singer and songwriter, Margaret released her debut studio album Cho Dependent (2010), which was actually her 6th album, including 5 comedy albums Drunk with Power (1996), I’m the One That I Want (2000), Notorious C.H.O. (2001), as well as Revolution (2003), and Assassin (2005). In 2015, she released her 6th comedy album entitled PsyCHO. A year later, in April 2016, Margaret released her 2nd studio album, titled American Myth. She has a large social media following of more than 500k followers on Twitter, more than 500k likes on Facebook, and more than 200k followers on Instagram.
Margaret Moran Cho
San Francisco, California, United States
Hollywood, Los Angeles, California, United States
Margaret Cho attended but was later expelled from Lowell High School in San Francisco, California, United States because of very low grades – 0.60 GPA. She was then accepted at the McAteer High School for the Performing Art in San Francisco, California, United States, from which she graduated.
Margaret then enrolled in San Francisco State University in San Francisco, California, United States, and studied drama, but didn’t graduate.
Stand-Up Comedian, Actress, Fashion Designer, Author, Singer, Songwriter
- Father – Seung-Hoon Cho (Writer)
- Mother – Young-Hie Chun (Bookstore Owner)
- Others – Im Soon Lee (Paternal Grandfather), Myung Sook Cho (Paternal Grandmother), Chun Jin-Han (Maternal Grandfather), Lee Jung Hie (Maternal Great-Grandmother)
Margaret Cho is represented by –
- William Morris Endeavor (WME) Entertainment (Talent Agent Voice, Commercial) in Beverly Hills, California, United States
- Soundball International (Manager) in Los Angeles, California, United States
- Ken Phillips Publicity Group (Publicist) in Los Angeles, California, United States
Pop, Comedy, Rock
5 ft 5 in or 165 cm
63 kg or 139 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Margaret Cho has dated –
- Michael Landry – Margaret and Michael Landry have had an encounter in the past.
- Garrett Wang – Margaret had a brief encounter with actor Garrett Wang at some point in the past.
- Chris Isaak – She and the well-known singer, Chris Isaak were an item in the past.
- Scott Aukerman (1990) – Margaret dated well-known comedian Scott Aukerman for a year in 1990.
- Al Ridenour (2003-2015) – Her most prominent and longest relationship and subsequent marriage was with the artist and writer, Al Ridenour. Al was involved in the production of the Art of Bleeding, a Los Angeles performance troupe. Margaret had a chance to join the troupe in March 2006. Despite being openly bisexual at the time, she described their marriage as “very conventional and conservative, I think,” which definitely surprised the public. The couple separated in September 2014, and she confirmed the separation in December 2014. Margaret also stated that she was divorced in April 2015, but it wasn’t until August 2015 that she officially filed for divorce.
- Dave Navarro (2008) – She had a brief encounter with the well-known musician, Dave Navarro in early 2008. Margaret even shared pictures of Dave and her hanging out together in April of the same year, but he began dating other people later that year.
Race / Ethnicity
She is of Chinese descent. She is NOT of Korean descent.
- Prominent cheekbones
Margaret Cho has endorsed Miss Fame Beauty (2018).
Best Known For
- Publishing her autography I’m the One That I Want (2002), and her 2nd book of prose and essays I Have Chosen to Stay and Fight (2005)
- Starring as herself in a 1-woman show I’m the One That I Want (1999), creating the TV series All-American Girl (1994-1995) and starring in it as Margaret Kim, and portraying Teri Lee in Drop Dead Diva (2009-2014)
- Her debut studio album Cho Dependent (2010), and 2nd studio album American Myth (2016)
- Her comedy albums Drunk with Power (1997), I’m the One That I Want (2000), Notorious C.H.O. (2001), Revolution (2003), Assassin (2005), and PsyCHO (2015)
Margaret Cho released her debut studio album titled Cho Dependent on August 24, 2010, under Clownery Records. It consisted of 15 tracks in total, mainly of pop, rock, and comedy genres, out of which I’m Sorry, Eat Sh*t and Die, Lice, Intervention, Captain Cameltoe, and Hey Big Dog were the most prominent and received their own music videos. The album debuted at number 3 on the Billboard Top Comedy Albums chart for the week of September 11, 2010, and was nominated for a Grammy Award for “Best Comedy Album” in 2011.
Margaret Cho made her first theatrical film appearance as Admissions Nurse #2 in the comedy-drama film, Angie in 1994.
First Web Show
Margaret Cho made her first Web show appearance as Min Suk in the 3rd episode of the series Girltrash! in 2007.
First TV Show
Margaret Cho made her first TV show appearance as a guest comedian in an episode of the VH1 documentary series Stand-Up Spotlight on June 6, 1988.
Margaret Cho rarely shares the serious side of her life on social media but revealed that she was very passionate about riding a bike as a way of staying in shape.
As for diet, Margaret is a fan of spicy, traditional Asian food such as various soups, noodles, ramen, tuna, and other types of fish.
Margaret Cho Favorite Things
- People – Josh Feldman, Mac Miller, Aretha Franklin, Charlotte Rae, Brody Stevens, Karl Lagerfeld
- Actor – Jeff Stryker
- Band – Broken Social Scene
- Animal – Dog
- Charity – Friendly House
Margaret Cho Facts
- Her mom resisted arranged marriage in Korea, married Margaret’s father, and they moved to San Francisco, California, United States in 1964.
- Her parents also ran a bookstore named Paperback Traffic in San Francisco, California.
- Only 3 days after her birth, her dad was deported to Korea because he couldn’t get a work permit. However, her mother couldn’t provide for her, so she later sent her to Korea too.
- Margaret got bullied as a child, and later as a teen. She was even r*ped continuously by an acquaintance in her teens, and s*xually molested by a family friend, which led to her grades dropping to 0.60 GPA and being expelled from high school.
- She lost 30 lbs in a short period of time before she began starring in her TV series All-American Girl (1994-1995).
- Margaret began writing jokes at the age of 14 and performing comedy at the age of 16.
- She started her comedian career by opening for Jerry Seinfeld, a well-known comedian.
- In 2007, Margaret toured with Cyndi Lauper, Debbie Hary, as well as Rosie O’Donnell on True Colors Tour, which benefited the Human Rights Campain charity.
- Margaret released the album named Revolution in 2003, right after the successful comedy tour of the same name. It received a nomination for a Grammy Award for “Comedy Album of the Year.”
- In 2011, Margaret received a Lifetime Achievement Award by the LA Pride, recognizing her lifetime efforts that left an impression on the LGBT community.
- Margaret believes there are only 2 genders and said that she is polyamorous and pansexual. However, she liked using the term bisexual because the community was still “kind of the 70s.”
- She started her clothing line in 2003 and called it High-Class Cho, but it eventually went defunct.
- In 2006, Margaret designed and began selling her line of belly dancing accessories and belts through her website, named Hip Wear.
- Margaret joined the board of the brand Good Vibrations in November 2006. The brand sold s*x toys, and to help promote it, she co-wrote the song My P*ss in collaboration with comedian Diana Yanez. They also filmed a music video for the song later in the year.
- On January 15, 2013, Margaret and Jim Short, an Australian comedian, started their own Apple Podcast named Monsters of Talk. It featured their opinion on movies, comedy, and current events. Up until May 4, 2015, they had released 131 episodes.
- Margaret appeared in the music video for the song Tacky by “Weird Al” Yankovic in July 2014, and they remained great friends afterward.
- Magazine Goldsea Asian American Daily chose her as one of the “100 Most Inspiring Asian Americans of All Time” in the past.
- Margaret is a huge dog lover and has rescued and adopted dogs for a large portion of her life. She had chihuahuas Bronwyn and Ralph, who passed away in the past, as well as Gudrun, who passed away on November 2, 2018. After his death, she adopted another chihuahua named Lucia.
- Margaret is good at baking bread.
- She is good at speaking the Korean language.
- Journalist and TV personality Lisa Ling is her cousin.
- Before doing stand-up comedy, she was in a children’s singing group.
- Whenever she is at home, she vacuums every few hours as she is allergic to dust mites.
- Margaret is also allergic to squid and octopus.
- She has 9 toenails instead of normal 10.
- She uses a variety of mosquito repellants at a time.
- She likes the falvor of Vegemite.
- In her free time, she listens to podcasts, music or audiobooks.
- She likes the combination of pasta and French fries.
- At a zoo, she once fed a rhino, an apple which was cut into small pieces.
- She is scared of snakes.
- Margaret loves eating croissants.
- For her early comedic performances, she used to partner with Sam Rockwell.
- Cho has studied to be a raw vegan chef.
- She does not have any favorite colors. She likes all the colors.
- Margaret has very short pinky fingers.
- She has lots of unfinished tattoos because it hurts her to get a tattoo.
- She tries to wear sustainable fashion.
- Visit her official website @ margaretcho.com.
Featured Image by Frantogian / Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 3.0