|Sam Rockwell Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 8 in|
|Date of Birth||November 5, 1968|
Sam Rockwell is an American actor who is best known for portraying leading characters in films such as Lawn Dogs (1997), Confessions of a Dangerous Mind (2002), The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy (2005), Moon (2009), Seven Psychopaths (2012), Mr. Right (2015), and Richard Jewell (2019).
Daly City, San Mateo County, California, United States
Los Angeles, California, United States
Sam had started high school at the San Francisco School of the Arts and had also studied at the J. Eugene McAteer High School in San Francisco. He had, however, received his high school diploma from Urban Pioneers, an alternative (non-traditional) school. He had later enrolled in an acting training program at the William Esper Studio in New York.
- Father – Peter ‘Pete’ J. Rockwell (Actor)
- Mother – Penelope ‘Penny’ Ann Hess (Actress)
- Others – John Hobart Rockwell, Jr. (Paternal Grandfather), Phyllis Butler (Paternal Grandmother), Chester Edward Hess (Maternal Grandfather), Elizabeth Jane ‘Betty’ Moore (Maternal Grandmother) (Drama Teacher, Actress, Lecturer) (d. 2007)
5 ft 8 in or 173 cm
72 kg or 158.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Sam has dated –
Race / Ethnicity
He is of German, Irish, English, and distant Dutch descent.
- Side-parted, wavy hair
- Affable smile
- Often sports a light stubble or a thick beard
- Has a mole on his right cheek
- Mellow drawling voice
He had been featured in a TV commercial for Miller Ice beer (1994).
Sam Rockwell Facts
- Sam’s family had moved from Daly City, California, to New York when he was 2 years old, living first in the Bronx and later settling down in Manhattan. His parents got divorced when he was 5 years old after which he was raised by his father in San Francisco and would spend his summers with his mother in New York.
- He had filmed all his scheduled scenes for the 2005 biographical war drama film Jarhead (2005) within a day. His scenes were, however, deleted from the final cut.
- In an interview, he had revealed that he often memorizes his lines by dictating them into a tape recorder. He ensures that whenever he does this, it is always in a monotone so that he does not get used to any inflection before he has decided which speech pattern would be appropriate for that particular character.
- Before making it big in the entertainment industry, he had worked several part-time and full-time jobs including as a bicycle delivery boy for a Mexican restaurant specializing in burritos.
- He was nominated for the ‘Best Supporting Actor’ award at the Academy Awards for 2 years in a row – in 2018 for his portrayal of Officer Jason Dixon in the black comedy crime drama film Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri; and in 2019 for playing President George W. Bush in the biographical satirical comedy-drama film Vice.
- He had won in 2018 for his role in the film Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri and that performance had made him just the 13th actor to have won an Academy Award, a BAFTA Award, a Critics’ Choice Award, a Golden Globe Award, and a SAG Award – all for the same performance.
Featured Image by Sam Rockwell / Instagram