|Maya Gabeira Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 5 in|
|Date of Birth||April 10, 1987|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Maya Gabeira is a Brazilian professional big wave surfer who set the Guinness World Record in February 2020, for the biggest wave ever surfed by a woman, which measured in at 22.4 m (73 ft) high wave in Nazaré, Portugal. She also holds the previously set record at 20.8 m (68 ft) in January 2018.
Maya Reis Gabeira
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Maya divides her time between Nazaré, Los Angeles, and Rio de Janeiro.
- Father – Fernando Gabeira (Politician, Author, Journalist)
- Mother – Yamê Reis (Fashion Designer)
- Siblings – Tami Gabeira (Sister)
5 ft 5 in or 165 cm
56 kg or 123.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Maya has dated –
- Jesse Spencer (2010-2014) – Maya was in a relationship with actor and musician Jesse Spencer from 2010 to 2014.
Race / Ethnicity
Multiracial (White and Latino)
Maya has Lebanese ancestry on her father’s side and Brazilian ancestry on her mother’s side.
Through her social media, Maya has either endorsed or promoted various brands including Red Bull, TAG Heuer, Mitsubishi, Gucci, Samsung, Lululemon, Renault, Mormaii, Fa, Evoke, Tokoro, Nextel, and Billabong.
Maya Gabeira Favorite Things
- Sweet Dish – Brigadeiro
Source – Surfer Today
Maya Gabeira Facts
- Gabeira was 13 when she began surfing in Rio de Janeiro and by the age of 15 she had already been competing.
- She became a professional at the age of 17. At the time, Maya had been residing in Australia. The same year, she relocated to Hawaii to surf world-class waves.
- Maya had been diagnosed with asthma in the past.
- Over the years, Maya has won various accolades including the ESPY award for “Best Female Action Sports Athlete.”
- She is considered to be amongst the best female surfers in the world as well as for being one of the most influential female members of the sport of all time.
- Amongst the many places she has suffered are Mavericks, Waimea, Todos Santos, and the Dungeons named after South Africa’s shark-infested.
- Between 2007 and 2010, Maya won the Billabong XXL Global Big Wave Awards for “Best Female Performance” four consecutive times.
- Gabeira brushed against a near-death appearance after she lost consciousness and nearly drowned while surfing a massive wave at Praia do Norte, Nazaré, Portugal on October 28, 2013, but was saved by her fellow Brazilian big-wave surfer Carlos Burle.
- A document on her titled Maya and the Wave was released in 2022.
- Her father is one of the founding members of the Green Party of Brazil.
- She had met with Pope Francis in early June 2023.
- Maya leads a physically active lifestyle and compliments it with pilates and yoga too.
- Her morning routine often includes eating vegetables.
- Maya’s playlist includes the likes of Beyonce, Drake, Lady Gaga, Lorde, The Weeknd, and U2.
- She is a huge supporter of the Brazilian football team.
- Maya has a pet dog named Naza.
Featured Image By Maya Gabeira / Instagram