Ella Maria Lani Yelich-O’Connor
As she was obsessed with “royals and aristocracy”, she thought of keeping her stage name as “Lord”. But, as it sounds more masculine, she added “e” at the end to make it sound more feminine.
Devonport, Auckland, New Zealand
Lorde studied at Vauxhall School and then at Belmont Intermediate School in Auckland, New Zealand.
From 2010 to 2013, she went to Takapuna Grammar School and completed her schooling until Year Twelve.
- Father – Vic O’Connor (Civil Engineer)
- Mother – Sonja Yelich (Prize-winning New Zealand poet)
- Siblings – Jerry Yelich-O’Connor (Older Sister), India Yelich-O’Connor (Younger Sister), Angelo Yelich-O’Connor (Younger Brother)
She is signed to Universal Records and is managed by Scott Maclachlan.
Art pop, electronica, electropop, indie pop, minimal
UMG, Lava, Republic
5 ft 5 in or 165 cm
61 kg or 134½ pounds
Boyfriend / Spouse
Lorde dated –
- James Lowe (2013-2016) – Photographer James Lowe (of Chinese descent) started dating singer Lorde in 2013. He is based in Auckland, New Zealand (from where Lorde belongs) and is eight years her senior. She started dating him before the start of her music career. In January 2016, they were speculated to have separated after they weren’t seen together on their Instagram posts for several months.
Race / Ethnicity
She has Croatian and Irish ancestry.
- Often wear dark colored lipstick
- Curly and long hair
- Stretched flat lips
- Her song lyrics are down-to-earth
34-27-35 in or 86-68.5-89 cm
8 (US) or 40 (EU) or 12 (UK)
6.5 (US) or 37 (EU) or 4 (UK)
Her song “Royals” has also made it to the Samsung’s adverts. The song appeared in Samsung’s Galaxy Note 3 commercial in October 2013.
Her religious beliefs are not known.
Best Known For
Her debut single “Royals”, which made a record of standing at the Billboard and iTunes charts for straight seven weeks.
Lorde released her debut studio album Pure Heroine on September 27, 2013.
The album was again released on December 13, 2013 with an extended version. The pop album was released under Universal Records. It received generally favorable reviews.
It charted at #1 New Zealand, and Australia, #2 in Canada, #3 in USA, #4 in UK.
It was certified as 3x Platinum in New Zealand. She successfully sold 797,000 albums just in U.S.
She has not done any of the films yet.
First TV Show
She has appeared as a musical guest on various television shows starting from 2013.
She does not seem to be working out.
Lorde Favorite Things
- Disney Actress – Hannah Montanna
- Favorite Songs of 2013 –
- She has poked many musicians in the past. She has a history of poking fun at them. Some of them are One Direction, David Guetta, Nicki Minaj, Drake, Lana Del Rey and the list goes on.
- Her interests in acting and singing aroused at the age of 5 when she entered into a drama group with her friend.
- As Lorde’s mom is a poet, she always has guided her to read books.
- At the age of 12, Lorde read books written by writers Raymond Carver and Kurt Vonnegut.
- She has assisted in raising funds for Typhoon Haiyan. In December 2013, she again helped in raising money for a community in Devonport in New Zealand.
- She is a self-identified feminist.
- She sold her music publishing rights to Songs Music Publishing in a deal signed for $2.5 million. Now, her songs can appear in films and advertising.
- Her song “Royals” kicked off Miley Cyrus‘ song “Wrecking Ball” from the #1 position on the US Billboard 200. She now has become the first woman in 17 years, whose song has topped the Billboard for seven weeks in a row. She broke the record of Alanis Morissette‘s “You Oughta Know” which ruled for five weeks in the year 1995.
- Kanye West has a great influence on her music career. The other influencers include musician Grimes, Sleigh Bells band, and music project SBTRKT (pronounced “subtract”).
- Visit her official website @ lorde.co.nz.
- You may want to connect with Lorde on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Tumblr, and iTunes.