Grace Beverly Jones
Grace Mendoza, The Queen of Gay Discos
Spanish Town, St. Catherine, Jamaica
Grace Jones went to Pentecostal All Saints School. After completing her school education, she was enrolled at Onondaga Community College. She has majored in Spanish and also took a theatre class in college.
Singer, songwriter, lyricist, model, record producer, actress
- Father – Robert W. Jones (Apostolic clergyman and local politician)
- Mother – Marjorie Jones (She was a high jumper and even qualified for Olympics but her father’s church forced her to withdraw as she would be showing her legs.) (Died 2017)
- Siblings – Noel Jones (Younger Brother) (Bishop), Chris Jones (Brother). Overall, she has two older siblings and four younger siblings.
Grace Jones is represented by London-based The Outside Organisation.
New wave, disco, art pop, reggae, post-disco, electropop
Island, Manhattan, Capitol Records, Wall of Sound/PIAS
5 ft 8 in or 173 cm
65 kg or 143 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Grace Jones has dated
- Jean-Paul Goude – Grace Jones first met French illustrator, photographer, and director Jean-Paul Goude in 1977. She had sought his advice for the creation of her music videos and album artwork. Goude was instantly attracted to her androgynous appearance and raw sexuality. This would mark the start of a relationship that would extend beyond the boundaries of the New York nightclub. Their relationship helped bring a new culture and drove Jones at the very center of it. As a result of their relationship, she gave birth to their son, Paulo in November 1979.
- Dolph Lundgren (1983-1986) – After being spotted in Sydney, the Swedish martial artist Dolph Lundgren was hired as Grace Jones’s bodyguard in the 80s. Eventually, they started going out and he moved in with her in her New York City apartment. She was instrumental in helping him bag a role in the movie, A View to a Kill. Grace also helped him find a foothold in the show business but eventually broke up in 1986.
- Janice Dickinson – The former supermodel Janice Dickinson revealed in her interview in December 2007 that she had a threesome with Grace Jones and her then-boyfriend Dolph Lundgren. These threesome rumors were verified by Jones herself in her appearance on the TV show, Alan Carr: Chatty Man.
- Chris Makepeace (1986) – According to rumors, Grace Jones hooked up with actor Chris Makepeace in 1986. They had grown very close while shooting the movie, Vamp. In fact, it was rumored that she was interrupted by a production assistant while having s*x with Chris and his brother.
- Chris Stanley – Jones was allegedly in a relationship with producer Chris Stanley towards the end of the eighties. It was rumored that they got married in 1989 and got divorced about two years later. However, in her memoirs, I’ll Never Write My Memoirs, she refuted rumors of her having gotten married.
- Sven-Ole Thorsen – Jones started dating Danish actor and former strongman competitor Sven-Ole Thorsen in 1990. And, as per the rumors and his claims in his autobiography, they have been in an open relationship ever since. However, these claims haven’t been verified by her.
- Atila Altaunbay – Jones got married to her bodyguard Atila Altaunbay in 1996. He was from Turkey and Jones’s open lifestyle eventually proved to be too much for him. One day in a fit of jealousy, he placed a knife on her throat and Jones wasn’t going to take that from anyone, even her husband. Their relationship came to an end at that very moment. However, they didn’t get officially divorced and they are technically still married. The reason is that Jones doesn’t believe in divorce. In some interviews, she has claimed that she can’t locate him to finalize their divorce.
- Ivor Guest (2006-2008) – Grace officially started dating music producer, Ivor Guest, the 4th Viscount Wimborne in 2006. During the course of their relationship, it was rumored that she was all set to become a lady of the manor. However, they broke up in 2008 after dating for nearly two years.
- Quentin Tarantino (2014) – Jones was known to have hooked up with acclaimed director Quentin Tarantino in February 2014. They had been witnessed to be all over each other at the New York Fashion Week party.
Race / Ethnicity
- Tall and athletic figure
- Often has a buzz or crew cut hairdo
- Strong facial bones
35-32-36 in or 89-81-91 cm
6 (US) or 38 (EU) or 10 (UK)
9 (US) or 39.5 (EU)
Grace Jones has done endorsement work for the following brands
- Toyota Celica XX
- Honda Motor Scooters (1986)
- Citroen CX
Also, in her modeling days, she did a lot of work for top fashion brands such as Yves St. Laurent, Kenzo Takada, and Claude Montana.
Grace was raised in a strict Pentecostal faith. As a result, she had to spend most of her childhood oppressed by religious views, which has made her averse to religion. She has refused to even set foot in a Jamaican church.
Best Known For
- Her successful modeling career during which she posed for popular magazines like Elle and Vogue and worked with esteemed designers such as Giorgio Armani and Karl Lagerfeld.
- The success of her studio albums such as Nightclubbing and Slave to the Rhythm, which made her a central figure in the new wave style music culture.
- Having appeared in popular and successful movies such as Conan the Destroyer and A View to a Kill. She won a Saturn Award nomination for supporting actress for her work in both the movies.
In 1977, Grace released her debut studio album, Portfolio, which was a moderate success. However, the album spawned her first big hit, Vie en rose.
In 1973, she made her theatrical debut appearance in a supporting role in the action movie, Gordon’s War.
First TV Show
In October 1975, Jones made her first TV show appearance in the Jean Piat episode of music TV series, Numéro 1.
Grace Jones has always been known for trying unconventional things. So, it shouldn’t come as a surprise that she was one of the first female celebrities to give bodybuilding a try. She did quite a lot of bodybuilding in the eighties, which helped her bag the role of mean female villains.
However, she doesn’t lift weights anymore as the volume of her past workouts has messed up her joints. Instead, she has found another unique activity to keep herself fit. She relies on her sessions of hula hooping, which along with keeping her trim, also brings memories of her childhood back. Also, she has put on some weight, which has made her curvy and she is absolutely happy with her body as she was often teased for being too skinny.
Grace Jones Favorite Things
Grace Jones Facts
- In some of her movies, she didn’t get along with the leading men. Arnold reportedly complained about her being too tough during the shooting of Conan The Destroyer and Roger Moore had a genuine dislike for her while shooting for A View To A Kill.
- The single My Jamaican Guy was inspired by her infatuation for Tyrone Downie, a member of the reggae music group, The Wailers, which was headed by the legendary Bob Marley.
- She has been banned from entering the Walt Disney World in Florida for her entire lifetime. Apparently, she had exposed her br*#sts during a live set performance at the venue.
- Her love of nightclubbing led to her modeling career as she was discovered by the influential fashion illustrator Antonio Lopez dancing wildly in a New York City nightclub.
- She once attended a party filled with French politicians wearing an only string of bones around her neck and not an inch of clothes covering her modesty.
- She reportedly attacked British TV host Russell Harty during his TV show, The Russell Harty Show, after he had turned away to interact with other guests on his show.
- During her time in Paris, she shared an apartment with models Jerry Hall and Jessica Lange. She often used to accompany Hall to the popular gay clubs in Paris.
- The Channel 5 placed her on the #19 spot in the list featuring World’s greatest supermodels in 2014.
- One of the producers of her debut movie Gordon’s War had subjected her to casting couch treatment. She rejected his advances and he later apologized and cast her in the movie.
- She was director Tony Scott’s first choice for the role of Cory in The Last Boy Scout. However, the movie producers overruled him and instead hired Halle Berry for the role.
- In 1999, the VH1 magazine placed her on the #82 position in the list featuring 100 Greatest Women of Rock and Roll.
- She was ranked 40th in the list of the most successful dance artists of all time as compiled by the Billboard Magazine.
- Visit her official website @ missgracejones.com.
- Follow her on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Myspace, and YouTube.
Featured Image by Bruce Baker / Flickr / CC BY 2.0