|Singer Khalid Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 8 in|
|Date of Birth||February 11, 1998|
Khalid is an American singer and songwriter who shot to popularity with the release of his debut studio album titled American Teen (2017), which was certified ‘4x Platinum’ by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) as well as received a Grammy Award nomination for “Best Urban Contemporary Album” while its lead single Location was nominated for “Best R&B Song” at the 60th Annual Grammy Awards. Moreover, his discography consists of songs, albums, extended plays, and mixtapes such as Young Dumb & Broke, Suncity, Free Spirit, Scenic Drive, Saved, Love Lies (with Normani), Lovely (with Billie Eilish), This Way (with H.E.R.), OTW (with Ty Dolla Sign and 6lack), Better, Eastside (with Benny Blanco and Halsey), Talk, Up All Night, Present, New Normal, Fall in Love at Christmas (with Mariah Carey and Kirk Franklin), Otra Noche Sin Ti (with J Balvin), and Last Call. He was named one of Time magazine’s 100 Most Influential People in 2019.
Khalid Donnel Robinson (Pronounced as KUH-LeeD)
Fort Stewart, Georgia, United States
El Paso, Texas, United States
Khalid went to the Americas High School in El Paso, Texas. He studied singing and musical theater in high school and graduated in 2016.
Singer and songwriter
- Mother – Linda Wolfe (Worked as a supply technician with the US army. She also sang with the US army chorus.)
- Siblings – He has one sibling.
Khalid has been represented by Right Hand Music Group.
R&B, alternative R&B, soul
Right Hand, RCA, Columbia Records
His net worth had been $10 Million according to CelebrityNetWorth.com.
5 ft 8 in or 173 cm
80 kg or 176 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Khalid has dated –
- Khalid was in a relationship with an unidentified girl before he moved to El Paso. They had been in a relationship for 4 years but the long distance between them (she was living in New York City) made it difficult for them to sustain their relationship.
- Billie Eilish (2017) – He reportedly had a fling with singer and songwriter Billie Eilish in the year 2017.
- Alina Baraz (2018) – It has been speculated that Khalid started dating singer and songwriter, Alina Baraz, in 2018.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of African-American descent.
- Afro hairdo
Khalid has appeared in a TV commercial for Spotify. The commercial was titled Khalid: American Teen.
He was also cast in a TV advert for Apple Music, titled Discover Khalid.
Best Known For
The popularity of his single, Location, which managed to sneak into the top 20 of the US Billboard Hot 100. It was also certified as ‘Platinum’.
In March 2017, Khalid released his debut studio album, American Teen. The album was certified ‘Gold’ and managed to reach the 4th spot in the US music charts.
First TV Show
In 2017, he made his first TV show appearance on the comedy talk show, The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon.
Khalid Favorite Things
- Influences – A$AP Rocky, Kendrick Lamar, Frank Ocean, Father John Misty, Chance the Rapper, Grizzly Bear, India.Arie, Lorde, and James Blake
Source – Wikipedia
- He got widespread exposure after the reality star and social media sensation Kylie Jenner shared a three-second snap on her Snapchat of her dancing to the tunes of the single, Location.
- He spent many years of his early childhood in Germany as his mother was deployed there with the US army. Then, he lived in New York for 4 years, before his family moved to El Paso.
- Negative feedback in his senior year of high school to his single, Saved spurned him to make a success out of his music career. The most popular kid in the school had said that his song was terrible and Khalid set out to prove him wrong.
- If he hadn’t found success as a recording artist, he would have loved to become a music teacher or an English teacher.
- He started recording his singles out of sheer loneliness after he had moved to El Paso, where he found it a bit hard to fit in. He used to upload his singles on Soundcloud, which eventually helped him build a following in the local community.
- His mother Linda Wolfe had her own ambitions to become an R&B singer. However, her family responsibilities forced her to go with stable career work in US Army.
- The Vice president of A&R for RCA Records, Tunji Balogun discovered Khalid on Soundcloud and was impressed by some of his early releases, which eventually led to the release of his breakthrough single Location in collaboration with RCA.
- While studying in high school, he joined the school’s choir as well as started taking voice lessons.
- Originally, he wanted to do musical theatre and eventually work on Broadway. But his love for poetry swayed him towards songwriting, which led to him becoming a singer instead.
- His management team wanted to delay the release of Location. However, Khalid forced them to release it earlier as the Prom was near and he wanted to be crowned as Prom King. Although they didn’t even play it for dance, he still managed to win his desired title.
- He has revealed in his interview with Rolling Stone that not having his own car was one of the inspirations behind Location.
- In July 2016, he was at the #2 spot on the Billboard Twitter Emerging Artists chart.
- In February 2017, Khalid was declared as “New Artist of the Week”.
- He released his 2nd studio album titled Free Spirit on April 5, 2019, via RCA Records and it includes songs like Bad Luck, My Bad, Right Back, Talk, Better, Paradise, Outta My Head (with John Mayer), Twenty One, and Heaven. The album peaked at number #1 on the US Billboard 200 chart, the US Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums (Billboard) chart, as well as Canadian Albums (Billboard) chart and was certified ‘2× Platinum’ by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA).
- In October 2021, Khalid released a new song Present (part of the album Everything is Changing).
- Along with Mariah Carey and Kirk Franklin, Khalid released a new Christmas single titled Fall In Love at Christmas in November 2021.
- In March 2022, Khalid released the music video of his new song titled Last Call.
- In September 2022, Joe Jonas announced that he had teamed up with Khalid for a new song titled Not Alone. The song was featured in Joe’s movie Devotion.
- In February 2023, Khalid and Dove Cameron released a new song titled We Go Down Together.
- In June 2023, Khalid was involved in a car accident.
Featured Image via Khalid / Instagram