Scarborough, Ontario, Canada
The Weeknd went to Samuel Hearne Middle School, and then, West Hill Collegiate Institute in Toronto.
At 17, he dropped out of high school named, Birchmount Park Collegiate Institute.
Singer, songwriter, record producer, rapper
- Father – Makkonen
- Mother – Samra Tesfaye
- Siblings – None
Alternative R&B, soul, hip hop, pop, R&B
XO, Republic Records
5 ft 6.5 in or 169 cm
75 kg or 165.5 pounds
Girlfriend / Spouse
The Weeknd dated –
- Alice Ustinova (2012) – The Weeknd has dated makeup artist and stylist, Alice Ustinova until 2012. Alice has also done a photoshoot for Alice in Wonderland.
- Bella Hadid (2015-2016, 2018-2019) – In April 2015, he started dating the American model and Gigi Hadid‘s sister, Bella Hadid. They broke up in November 2016. Bella reconciled with The Weeknd in the summer of 2018 and the couple dated once again until August 2019.
- Selena Gomez (2017) – In January 2017, The Weeknd started dating American singer Selena Gomez. They dated for 10 months and split in October 2017.
- Yovanna Ventura (2017) – On November 10, 2017, model Yovanna Ventura and The Weeknd went on a date in Beverly Hills, California.
Race / Ethnicity
He has Ethiopian ancestry.
Dishwater Squirrel Brown
He has appeared in the Apple Music commercial, which was premiered at MTV VMA 2015.
Best Known For
His songs like “Wicked Games,” “Love Me Harder,” “Earned It,” “Can’t Feel My Face,” “The Hills” and others.
The Weeknd released his debut album Trilogy in November 2012 via Republic Records. It was not a studio album, but a compilation album, which reached #1 in US Hip Hop albums chart. He was able to sell 558,000 copies of the album in U.S. and was certified as “Platinum” in America.
The Weeknd then released his second album (first studio album) titled Kiss Land on September 10, 2013 by XO and Republic Records. The album charted at #2 in Canada, and U.S. and reached the sales figure of 273,000 in U.S. The standard version of the album contains 10 singles, giving it a total length of over 55 minutes.
The Weeknd Favorite Things
- Musician – Emika
- TV Show – Game Of Thrones (2011-Present)
Source – Reddit AMA
The Weeknd Facts
- His career started in 2010.
- The Weeknd is good friends with Drake.
- The Weeknd sites Aaliyah, Cocteau Twins, D’Angelo, Massive Attack, Michael Jackson, Prince, R. Kelly, Swizz Beatz, and The-Dream as his musical influencers.
- His parents relocated from Ethiopia to Canada in the 1980s.
- Due to his family background, the first language he learned was Amharic. He is able to speak fluent Amharic, which he learned from his grandmother.
- He was raised by his grandmother for the most part as his parents were busy working.
- He uses the stage name as “The Weeknd” as there was already a Canadian pop-rock band, named, the Weekend.
- The Weeknd’s crew is called XO. Some believe that XO stands for “hugs and kisses” while others believe that it means “drugs ecstasy and oxycontin.”
- While growing up, The Weeknd used to listen to different types of music genres such as soul, hip hop, funk, indie rock, quiet storm, and post-punk.
- He left his house one weekend, and never returned back (after dropping out of school at 17), hence, the name “The Weeknd.”
- As per Vice, initially, The Weeknd was a group of two people, Jeremy Rose and Abel Tesfaye. They parted ways in 2010 after releasing a couple of tracks, and it was after that, “The Weekend” removed “e” from the name.
- In Wiz Khalifa‘s song “Remember You,” The Weeknd was featured as a singer.
- Visit his official website @ www.theweeknd.com.
- Hear more from The Weeknd on Twitter, Facebook, YouTube VEVO, Instagram, SoundCloud, and iTunes.