|The Weeknd Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 6.5 in|
|Date of Birth||February 16, 1990|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
The Weeknd is a Canadian singer, songwriter, and record producer who has gained global fame with his work which has won him at least 3 Grammy Awards, 5 American Music Awards, 9 Billboard Music Awards, 2 MTV Video Music Awards, and 9 Juno Awards. One of the most successful Canadian recording artists of all time, he has released a diverse discography that includes albums, songs, and extended plays like Blinding Lights, Beauty Behind the Madness, Kiss Land, Starboy (featuring Daft Punk), House of Balloons, After Hours, Starboy, Echoes of Silence, My Dear Melancholy, Hawái (Remix) (with Maluma), Heartless, Call Out My Name, Power Is Power (with SZA and Travis Scott), and Love Me Harder (with Ariana Grande).
Abel Makkonen Tesfaye
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
The Weeknd went to Samuel Hearne Middle School, and then, West Hill Collegiate Institute in Toronto.
At 17, he dropped out of high school named, Birchmount Park Collegiate Institute.
Singer, Songwriter, Record Producer, Rapper
- Father – Makkonen
- Mother – Samra Tesfaye
- Siblings – He is an only child.
Alternative R&B, soul, hip hop, pop, R&B
XO, Republic Records
5 ft 6.5 in or 169 cm
75 kg or 165.5 pounds
Girlfriend / Spouse
The Weeknd has dated –
- Alice Ustinova (2012) – The Weeknd has dated makeup artist and stylist Alice Ustinova until 2012. Alice has also done a photoshoot for Alice in Wonderland.
- Bella Hadid (2015-2016, 2018-2019) – In April 2015, he started dating the American model and Gigi Hadid‘s sister, Bella Hadid. They broke up in November 2016. Bella reconciled with The Weeknd in the summer of 2018 and the couple dated once again until August 2019.
- Selena Gomez (2017) – In January 2017, The Weeknd started dating American singer Selena Gomez. They dated for 10 months and split in October 2017.
- Yovanna Ventura (2017) – On November 10, 2017, model Yovanna Ventura and The Weeknd went on a date in Beverly Hills, California.
Race / Ethnicity
He has Ethiopian ancestry.
Dishwater Squirrel Brown
- His hairstyle
- Falsetto and eccentric music style
He has appeared in the Apple Music commercial, which was premiered at MTV VMA 2015.
His song ‘Blinding Lights’ was used in Pepsi’s Super Bowl Commercial in January 2021. He himself has also appeared in a Pepsi Super Bowl 2021 commercial.
Best Known For
His songs like “Wicked Games,” “Love Me Harder,” “Earned It,” “Can’t Feel My Face,” “The Hills” and others.
The Weeknd released his debut album Trilogy in November 2012 via Republic Records. It was not a studio album, but a compilation album, which reached #1 in the US Hip Hop albums chart. He was able to sell 558,000 copies of the album in the United States and was certified as “Platinum” in America.
The Weeknd then released his second album (first studio album) titled Kiss Land on September 10, 2013, by XO and Republic Records. The album charted at #2 in Canada and the United States and reached the sales figure of 273,000 in the United States. The standard version of the album contains 10 singles, giving it a total length of over 55 minutes.
The Weeknd Favorite Things
- Musician – Emika
- TV Show – Game Of Thrones (2011-Present)
- Favorite Past Super Bowl Performance – Diana Ross‘s performance from 1996
The Weeknd Facts
- He spent his childhood years growing up in Scarborough and after the divorce of his parents, he grew up under the care of his mother and grandmother.
- His parents were Ethiopian immigrants to Canada in the late 1980s.
- He started doing marijuana when he was 11 years old.
- His career started in 2010.
- The Weeknd is good friends with Drake.
- The Weeknd sites Aaliyah, Cocteau Twins, D’Angelo, Massive Attack, Michael Jackson, Prince, R. Kelly, Swizz Beatz, and The-Dream as his musical influencers.
- His parents relocated from Ethiopia to Canada in the 1980s.
- Due to his family background, the first language he learned was Amharic. He is able to speak fluent Amharic, which he learned from his grandmother.
- He was raised by his grandmother for the most part as his parents were busy working.
- He uses the stage name “The Weeknd” as there was already a Canadian pop-rock band, named, the Weekend.
- The Weeknd’s crew is called XO. Some believe that XO stands for “hugs and kisses” while others believe that it means “drugs ecstasy and oxycontin.”
- While growing up, The Weeknd used to listen to different types of music genres such as soul, hip hop, funk, indie rock, quiet storm, and post-punk.
- He left his house one weekend, and never returned back (after dropping out of school at 17), hence, the name “The Weeknd.”
- As per Vice, initially, The Weeknd was a group of two people, Jeremy Rose and Abel Tesfaye. They parted ways in 2010 after releasing a couple of tracks, and it was after that, “The Weekend” removed “e” from the name.
- In Wiz Khalifa‘s song “Remember You,” The Weeknd was featured as a singer.
- In November 2020, The Weeknd collaborated with Maluma to release a remix of Maluma’s song “Hawái”. In this, The Weeknd also sang in Spanish (apart from English) and it was his first time singing in Spanish.
- He has been inspired by the Japanese culture.
- After The Weeknd got zero nominations for his album After Hours (in spite of receiving critical and commercial acclaim) at the 2021 Grammys, he spoke “The Grammys remain corrupt…” on Twitter.
- He has been honored with the Allan Slaight Award by Canada’s Walk of Fame for “making a positive impact in the fields of music, film, literature, visual or performing arts, sports, innovation or philanthropy”.
- In December 2020, The Weeknd released the remix of his famous song Blinding Lights which featured Rosalia for the Spanish lyrics on the song. The original version of the song was released on November 29, 2019.
- In 2021, he teamed up with Postmates in a campaign that highlights Black-owned restaurants to deliver food to frontline healthcare workers.
- He gave a performance during Super Bowl LV Halftime Show in February 2021.
- In March 2021, The Weeknd purchased a new custom gaming PC worth $8,000. The major specifications included AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12 Core Processor, EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming 24GB, Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB (8GBx4) 3600Mhz, Mushkin 2TB Gamma Gen4 NVME SSD (7,000MB/s Read/Write), and much more.
- In April 2021, he donated $1 million to hunger relief in Ethiopia to provide 2 million meals through the United Nations World Food Programme amid reports of ethnic cleansing in the Tigray region.
- In May 2021, The Weeknd won the Billboard Music Awards in 10 categories. He won the award for “Top Artist”, “Top Male Artist”, “Top Hot 100 Artist”, “Top Radio Songs Artist”, “Top R&B Artist”, and “Top R&B Male Artist”. He also won the awards for “Top R&B Album” for his studio album After Hours and “Top Hot 100 Song”, “Top Radio Song”, and “Top R&B Song” for Blinding Lights. During the 2021 iHeartRadio Music Awards, he won the awards for “Song of the Year”, “Titanium Song of the Year”, and “TikTok Bop of the Year” for Blinding Lights.