|Meryl Streep Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 6 in|
|Date of Birth||June 22, 1949|
Meryl Streep is an American actress who is known for her extensive career in film, stage, and television. She has appeared in a variety of films and TV shows such as The Deer Hunter, Kramer vs. Kramer, Holocaust, The French Lieutenant’s Woman, Sophie’s Choice, Silkwood, Out of Africa, She-Devil, Death Becomes Her, The Bridges of Madison County, One True Thing, Julie & Julia, Adaptation, The Hours, Mamma Mia!, The Devil Wears Prada, The Iron Lady, Don’t Look Up, The Prom, Mary Poppins Returns, The Simpsons, Web Therapy, Big Little Lies, and many more. Her theatre credits include plays like The Cherry Orchard, The Taming of the Shrew, and Happy End. For her acting skills, Meryl has been honored with numerous awards such as the Academy Award, Golden Globe Award, César Award, Primetime Emmy Award, and Screen Actors Guild Award.
Mary Louise Streep
Summit, New Jersey, United States
Meryl Streep attended Cedar Hill Elementary School and Oak Street School. She later went to the Harding Township Middle School, and Bernards High School.
She then got admission to the Vassar College from where she graduated in 1971 with a BA cum laude. In 1975, she completed her MFA studies from Yale School of Drama.
She also studied at Dartmouth College as a visiting student and in 1981 received an Honorary Doctor of Arts degree.
- Father – Harry William Streep Jr. (Pharmaceutical Executive)
- Mother – Mary Wolf Wilkinson (Commercial Artist and Art Editor)
- Siblings – Dana David Streep (Younger Brother) (Actor), Harry William III (Younger Brother) (Actor and Producer)
- Others – Maeve Kinkead (Sister-in-law) (Actress)
Meryl Streep is represented by 42 West Group.
5 ft 6 in or 168 cm
73 kg or 161 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Meryl Streep has dated –
- John Cazale (1975-1978) – Meryl Streep first met actor John Cazale during an audition for New York City’s famed show Shakespeare in the Park and they grew close while working on the show. She remained with him even after he was diagnosed with lung cancer and until his death in March 1978.
- Don Gummer (1978-2017) – Meryl Streep met sculptor Don Gummer through her brother, who was Gummer’s close friend. Apparently, Gummer had come with her brother to help her pack up the apartment, she shared with Cazale. Soon after they started dating and she moved in with him. About six months after Cazale’s untimely death, Meryl had got married to Gummer. The couple has 4 children, son Henry (b. 1979), and daughters Mamie (b. 1983), Grace (b. 1986) and Louisa (b. 1991). In October 2023, it was revealed that Meryl and Don had been separated for more than 6 years.
Race / Ethnicity
Meryl is of German and Swiss-German descent on her father’s side, whereas, she has English, German, Irish, Scottish, and remote French ancestry on her mother’s side.
38-30-39 in or 96.5-76-99 cm
12 (US) or 44 (EU)
8.5 (US) or 39 (EU)
In 1990, Meryl starred in a TV commercial for American Express Credit Card.
She has also appeared in commercials for social causes and charities.
Best Known For
- Being one of the most accomplished actresses of her generation.
- Starring in critically acclaimed movies like The Bridges of Madison County (1995) and Music of the Heart (1999).
Meryl made her film debut in the 1977 drama film Julia in the role of Anne Marie.
First TV Show
Streep guest appeared on the drama action series Secret Service as Edith Varney in 1977.
Meryl Streep isn’t a big fan of various workout routines such as running and yoga. Instead, she relies on swimming to maintain her hourglass figure to perfection. She tries to do about 55 laps of her swimming pool, which amounts to around one mile for about 3 to 4 days a week.
Again, when it comes to diet, she doesn’t follow any fad diets and neither tries to limit consumption of any nutrient group. She only makes sure that she is eating organic.
Meryl Streep Favorite Things
- Actor – Leonardo DiCaprio
Source – IMDb
Meryl Streep Facts
- Instead of getting enrolled at the Yale to study drama, she wanted to get admission at the law school. However, she missed her interview because she slept till late that morning.
- She wasn’t too keen on playing the role of former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher, which helped her win the third Oscar. Streep didn’t agree with certain policies of her rule.
- To prepare for her highly acclaimed role in Music of the Heart (1999), she practiced playing violin about six hours a day for eight weeks.
- Before becoming an established actress, she used to work as a waitress at The Hotel Somerset in New Jersey.
- She was selected to perform at the school recital, due to which she took opera lessons. Despite having an obvious talent, she decided to quit singing 4 years later as she didn’t feel it.
- Meryl’s biggest professional regret was to miss out on the lead role in Sweet Dreams (1985), which eventually went to Jessica Lange, who got the best actress Oscar nomination for her work.
- In 1998, Meryl received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
- For her tremendous contributions to the art and entertainment sector, she was inducted into the New Jersey Hall of Fame in 2007.
- In 2010, she was honored with the National Medal of Arts by then US President Barack Obama, who also awarded her the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 2014.
- In recognition for her contribution to cinema, the government of France honored her with the distinction of Commander of the Order of Arts and Letters in 2003.
- During the 66th Berlin International Film Festival in 2016, she was made the president of the official competition jury.
- In January 2017, during the 74th Golden Globe Awards, she was honored with “Cecil B. DeMille Award for Lifetime Achievement”.
- Meryl Streep does not have any social media account.