|Michael Kors Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 5 in|
|Date of Birth||August 9, 1959|
Michael Kors is a renowned American fashion designer who took the industry by storm through his exquisite collections of clothes, handbags, accessories, footwear, jewelry, watches, and fragrances. A large number of celebrities have draped themselves in his custom-made dresses and have walked the red carpet of various events. His labels, Michael Kors Collection and MICHAEL Michael Kors, have established stores in many of all the major cities of the world including New York, Paris, Dubai, and Hong Kong.
Karl Anderson Junior
Michael David Kors
Long Island, New York, U.S.
He divides his time among –
- Manhattan, New York City, New York, U.S.
- His beach house in Long Island, New York, U.S.
- A lavish residential property at Longboat Key, Manatee County, Florida, U.S.
He studied in John F. Kennedy High School based in Bellmore, New York.
Michael briefly aspired to be a movie star and took acting lessons till the age of 14. He stopped his acting pursuits soon after he realized that he preferred the vocation of a fashion designer.
He enrolled in Fashion Institute of Technology in Manhattan, NYC in 1977 but dropped out after 9 months, merely studying for 2 semesters, to work as a salesperson in a boutique called Lothar’s. It was situated right across the luxury store Bergdorf Goodman in midtown Manhattan.
- Father – Karl Anderson Sr.
- Mother – Joan Hamburger (Former Model)
- Siblings – He is the only child.
- Others – Karl Charles Anderson aka Charlie (Paternal Grandfather), Mary Zockoff (Paternal Grandmother), Austin Howard Hamburger (Maternal Grandfather) (Worked in Textiles), Beatrice Bernice Tuchfeld (Maternal Grandmother) (High School Principal), Bill Kors (Former Stepfather) (Businessman)
5 ft 5 in or 165 cm
70 kg or 154 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Michael Kors has dated –
- Lance LePere (1997–Present) – Michael met Lance when Lance was a junior at Parsons School of Design and joined Michael’s company as an intern. They possibly started dating in the same year. Upon graduating, Lance became a full-time employee of Michael’s company. In 1997, when Michael was hired for the French fashion house, Céline, he frequently had to visit Paris with a few members of his team and Lance was one of them. It was in France where Michael and Lance let their guard down and developed an intimate relationship. Since then, the couple is rarely seen without one another by their side. Lance is often described as a low key, introvert mid-westerner, while Michael, in contrast, is jovial and extrovert by temperament. The designer told Vogue that Lance calms him down while he revs him up. A few weeks after gay marriage was legalized in the state of New York in 2011, Michael finally married his partner of 21 years in a private ceremony on Dune Beach in Southampton, officiated by the then mayor of Southampton, Mark Epley.
Race / Ethnicity
He has Swedish and Ukrainian ancestry on his father’s side and Austrian ancestry on his mother’s side.
- Very broad forehead owing to a receding hairline
- Broad, oval face
- Almost always dresses in black clothes and only wears Aviator styled sunglasses
- As a child model, Michael was cast in TV commercials for Lucky Charms breakfast cereal and Charmin Paper Towels.
- In his adult life, Michael is solely committed to the expansion and growth of his clothing and accessories business which he had named after himself. The year 2018 marked the 37th anniversary of his business.
- His religious beliefs as an adult are not confirmed.
- During his childhood and teenage years, Michael was subscribed to Judaism since his mother is Jewish. His maternal family organized the coming-of-age ritual of ‘Bar Mitzvah’ on Michael’s 13th birthday.
Best Known For
- His chic and classic ready-to-wear women’s and menswear collection that has expanded to include accessories, footwear, watches, jewelry, eyewear, and fragrance products over the years
- Michael Kors Collection and MICHAEL Michael Kors labels are sold in luxury stores worldwide which include cities such as New York, Beverly Hills, Chicago, London, Milan, Paris, Munich, Istanbul, Dubai, Seoul, Tokyo, Hong Kong, Shanghai, and Rio de Janeiro.
- He also gained a lot of recognition among the masses by getting featured as a judge on 122 episodes of the reality series, Project Runway (2004-2016).
Michael made his theatrical film debut by featuring in the background for one of the scenes of the action-adventure movie, Mercenaries in 2014.
First TV Show
Michael made his first appearance on a TV show in December 2004, when he was cast as a judge in season 1 of the reality series Project Runway which was co-hosted by Heidi Klum, Tim Gunn, and Nina Garcia.
- The designer usually has a Yoga instructor to pay him a home visit for a personal training session in the morning around 8 a.m. Sometimes, Michael likes to visit a gym for a Pilates class and occasionally supplements the 2 forms of exercises with a long walk by the river.
- He does not drink hot liquids at all and prefers lemon iced tea even in cold weather.
- Michael is a former smoker. After he quit smoking, he developed an addiction to lemon iced tea. He drinks about 4 glasses of lemon iced tea a day and likes 3 Splendas per glass for sweetness. After lunch, to cut back on his caffeine consumption, Michael switches to drinking iced water with lemon.
- The designer’s meals on most days are as follows:
- Breakfast (9:15 a.m.) – Bialy baked bread delivered from Murray’s Bagels with a glass of lemon iced tea
- Lunch (1:30 p.m.) – Sashimi or a salad delivered from Chop’t with 4 pieces of salmon or tuna. Sometimes, he indulges in a hamburger.
- Snack (5:00 p.m.) – 2 pieces of dark chocolate
- Dinner (7:30 p.m.) – Caesar salad and a hamburger
Michael Kors Favorite Things
- Beverage – Iced Tea
- Cocktail – Ketel One on the rocks (Vodka), Cortese di Gavi dry white wine
- Chocolate Brand – Ghirardelli
- Shampoo – Chamomile shampoo from Klorane
- Skincare Products – Kiehl’s moisturizer, Jergens tinted moisturizer for the face, Creme de la Mer lip balm
- Accessory – Tote bag, Sunglasses
- Luxury Food – Caviar Kaspia
- Fiction Author – Jackie Collins, Judith Krantz
- Activity To Unwind – Watching theatre or musicals
- Restaurants – Joe Allen in NYC and Paris, I Sodi, The Little Owl, Cafe Cluny, Gene’s
- TV Shows – Reality shows such as RuPaul‘s Drag Race, Restaurant: Impossible, Fashion Police
- Everyday Food – Hamburger, Pizza
- NYC Bookstore – Three Lives store
- Reflexology Spa – Angel Feet spa
- Holiday Destinations – Parrot Cay, Capri, Phuket, Big Sur
- Fashion Era – 1970s, 1980s
- Part About His Job – Watching a casual thought materialize into a complete collection happily worn by women
- Fashion Advice – Keep it simple, keep it comfortable, and stay consistent (From his mother)
- Celebrity Moments – Michelle Obama wearing his dress for the official portrait as First Lady, Bette Midler wearing his outfit for the Tony awards, Lil’ Kim and Sigourney Weaver wearing the same dress by Michael Kors at 2 different events and projecting a completely different look
Michael Kors Facts
- His parents got divorced when he was 5 years old. Shortly afterward, his mother got married to businessman Bill Kors who adopted Michael. Since he was due to get a new last name, Michael’s mother suggested he can get a new first name of his choice as well.
- David was Michael’s second favorite name, hence, he made it his middle name.
- At the age of 5, Michael re-designed his mother’s wedding dress. The designer often states that although his mother’s second marriage did not last long, her wedding pictures are timeless.
- During his teen years, Michael started designing and selling clothes from his parents’ basement and branded his work as the Iron Butterfly.
- While working at Lothar’s during his early years, Michael was soon promoted to designer and visual display head at Lothar’s when Dawn Mello, the fashion director at Bergdorf Goodman discovered his potential and asked him to showcase his designs to their buyers.
- By 1981, Michael launched a women’s line in his name at the 5th Avenue luxury department store, Bergdorf Goodman which marked the start of his professional journey.
- In a 2012 Harper’s BAZAAR interview, Michael shared that he had 2 cats named Bunny and Viola which he had named after his great aunts.
- Since Michael grew up waiting for the newspaper in the morning, he cannot start his day without reading the newspapers. If any piece of news catches his interest, he catches up with the rest of the newspaper reading at the end of the day.
- Michael switches the color of his aviator sunglasses to reflect his mood for the day and often gets his shoe custom made.
- He dresses in black and, occasionally, in white for the sake of convenience to accommodate his busy schedule. Michael does not want to waste time agonizing over the color of his outfit for the next event.
- Also for the sake of convenience, there is no color in the interiors of any of Michael’s homes. He also does not buy any colorful artifact while shopping abroad for the simple reason that it would be difficult to match against the background of the house. The designer believes that people are the only color his houses need.
- The designer never talks on the phone while sitting in his car on the way to work. He uses that time to simply be by himself, gaze at people, and count the number of Michael Kors handbags he sees people carrying on the street.
- Michael freaks out by the idea of sleeping on any colored bed sheet. His bed sheets are always exclusively white accompanied by lots of pillows to ensure a good night’s sleep that tends to be elusive and gets disturbed easily.
- He has been a long time close friend of ace designers Vera Wang and Marc Jacobs, even before they gained fame in the fashion industry.
- The designer is an avid traveler. Exposing himself to new cultures serves as a massive dose of inspiration for him to keep his clothing line fresh and interesting.
- To commemorate his long, illustrious career, the CFDA honored Michael with the Womenswear Designer of the Year Award (1999), Menswear Designer of the Year Award (2003), and Geoffrey Beene Lifetime Achievement Award (2010).
- He does not like hiring models who are younger than 16 and actively promotes the hiring of an eclectic and diverse group of people at his workplace and runway shows.
- Forbes magazine estimated his net worth in excess of a billion in 2014. However, all of Michael’s close friends insist that the money has not changed the designer’s warm nature or personable temperament even a bit.
- In 2012, Michael Kors donated $5 million to God’s Love We Deliver, an American NGO that home-delivers nutritious meals to people suffering from severe illnesses in NYC. His contribution not only improved the production and reach of the NGO but also led to the creation of the state-of-the-art commercial building in his name which was inaugurated by him, Joan Rivers, Blaine Trump, and Karen Pearl in 2013.
- In 2014, the designer was named Global ambassador of the United Nations’ World Food Program.
- To find out more about the Michael Kors product line, visit the official company website @ michaelkors.com.
- Follow the company on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Featured Image by Ed Kavishe / Wikimedia / CC BY 3.0