|Mohamed Muizzu Quick Info
|5 ft 11 in
|Date of Birth
|June 15, 1978
Mohamed Muizzu is a Maldivian politician who was appointed as the president of the Maldives on November 17, 2023. Prior to that, he served as Housing Minister under President Waheed Hassan and Abdulla Yameen as well as served as the Mayor of Malé.
He divides his time between –
- Muliaage (the official residence of the President of the Maldives), Medhuziyaarai Magu, Henveiru, Malé, Maldives
- Dhimyaath, Malé, Maldives
Mohamed Muizzu studied at Majeediyya School, the oldest school in Maldives. He then got enrolled at the University of London located in London, England and received a bachelor’s and master’s degree in structural engineering.
His PhD thesis concerned “Thermal and time-dependent effects on monolithic reinforced concrete roof slab-wall joints” and was awarded in 2009. In addition to that, he has also earned a Project Management Professional (PMP) certification from America’s Project Management Institute (PMI).
- Father – Sheikh Hussain Abdul Rahman (A judge and scholar of religion in the Maldives) (Received the National Award of Honour from then-president Mohammed Waheed Hassan for “contribution in the area of religious awareness and religious education” in 2013)
- Mother – Husna Adam
- Siblings – Fathimath Saudha (Half-Sister) (A PNC candidate for the Nilandhoo constituency)
- Others – Sheikh Mohamed Ibrahim (Father-In-Law) (A scholar of religion), Habeeba Ali (Mother-In-Law)
5 ft 11 in or 180.5 cm
76 kg or 167.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Mohamed Muizzu has dated –
- Sajidha Mohamed (2003-Present) – On May 18, 2003, he married civil servant Sajidha Mohamed and the duo has been blessed with 3 children – a daughter named Yasmine Muizzu and two sons named Umair Muizzu and Zaid Muizzu. In an interview, the couple revealed that they met at Ibrahim Nasir International Airport in Maldives in April 2003.
Race / Ethnicity
Salt and Pepper
Mohamed Muizzu Facts
- In 1998, he started his stint with a government job working as a Construction & Public Works Planning Technician Trainee at the Ministry of Construction and Public Works.
- Mohamed Muizzu previously served as the Governor of the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank.
- He was appointed as the Minister of Housing and Environment in 2012, during the administration of President Waheed as a member of the Adhaalath Party. After the 2013 Presidential Election, he continued serving in the post under President Abdulla Yameen’s administration.
- During Mohamed Muizzu’s five-year term in office, the Ministry of Housing and Environment was restructured and renamed the Ministry of Housing and Infrastructure.
- He left the Maldives Development Alliance (MDA) after the 2018 presidential election and joined the Progressive Party of Maldives (PPM). Subsequently, he was appointed the vice-president and the head of the Elections Department of the then-opposition (PPM) in 2019.
- Mohamed Muizzu contested in the Mayoral Election 2021 and defeated the candidate from the then-ruling Maldivian Democratic Party with a vote of 12470 and was eventually elected mayor of Malé. With this, he became the First Mayor of Malé to be directly elected by the people of Malé as well as became the First Mayor of Malé to be elected for a 5-year term. He resigned from the post on November 17, 2023.
- For the 2023 Maldivian presidential election, he was nominated as a candidate for the People’s National Congress (PNC), part of the opposition coalition, with MP Hussain Mohamed Latheef as his running mate, after the conviction of former president and opposition leader Abdulla Yameen for embezzlement. On November 17, 2023, Mohamed Muizzu was sworn in as the new president of Maldives.
- Along with First Lady Sajidha Mohamed, Mohamed Muizzu went on his first official trip to Turkey on November 26, 2023, and met Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and Vice President Cevdet Yilmaz in Ankara.
Featured Image by The President’s Office, Maldives / presidency.gov.mv / CC BY 4.0 DEED