Cooch Behar, West Bengal, India
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Mouni Roy went to the Kendriya Vidyalaya in Baburhat, Cooch Behar, where she studied till class 12. After completion of her school education, she got admission at the Jamia Millia Islamia to study mass communication on her parents’ insistence but she dropped out midway to focus on her acting career.
She has also studied at the Miranda House, which is a women constituent college at the University of Delhi. She graduated from Miranda House with a degree in English Literature.
- Father – Anil Roy (Office Superintendent of the Cooch Behar Zilla Parishad)
- Mother – Mukti Roy (Theatre Artist)
- Siblings – Mukhar Roy (Younger Brother)
- Others – Shekhar Chandra Roy (Paternal Grandfather) (Jatra Theatre Artist)
In 2017, Reshma Shetty started managing Mouni Roy’s career.
5 ft 5 in or 165 cm
54 kg or 119 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Mouni Roy has dated –
- Pulkit Samrat (2008) – In 2008, Mouni was reported to be in a relationship with actor Pulkit Samrat. It was claimed that the young co-stars had fallen for each other while working on the sets of the TV show, Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi.
- Gaurav Chopra (2008-2012) – Mouni and actor Gaurav Chopra started dating by the end of 2008. In 2009, they made their relationship public by participating in a reality show, Pati Patni Aur Woh. In the summer of 2011, Gaurav had ended their relationship and Mouni had started going out with Rishi Virmani, who had the written script for the movie Paa. However, they were soon seen together at a number of events. Their relationship eventually came to an end in the 2nd half of 2012.
- Mohit Raina (2012-2018) – Mouni started dating actor Mohit Raina in the last months of 2012. They had grown close while shooting for the TV show, Devon Ke Dev…Mahadev. On one occasion, Mouni had also posted pictures of her holding hands with Mohit at the gathering held at actress Aamna Sharif’s house. In 2018, they broke up.
Race / Ethnicity
She has Bengali ancestry.
- High cheekbones
- Fuller Lips
- Angular face
Mouni Roy has appeared in the TV commercials for the following brands –
- Tata Sky
- Tulsi hair oil
- Iraya Neelbhringadi Taila
She hasn’t spoken about her religious views publicly.
Best Known For
- Being cast in the role of Shivangi Rocky Pratap Singh and Shivanya Ritik Singh in the Indian supernatural TV series, Naagin.
- Having appeared in a host of popular soap operas such as Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi, Devon Ke Dev…Mahadev, and Junoon – Aisi Nafrat Toh Kaisa Ishq.
- Having made appearances on a number of reality TV shows including Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa 9, Bigg Boss 10, India’s Next Top Model 3, and So You Think You Can Dance.
In 2004, she made her theatrical film debut in the action romance movie, Run.
First TV Show
In 2001, Mouni Roy made her first TV show appearance in the legendary soap opera, Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi.
Mouni Roy regularly hits the gym to keep her super toned figure in perfect shape. For her, being fit is a priority and she complements her workout with dance sessions. She feels it is the best way to stay fit and lean.
When it comes to diet, she believes that starvation isn’t the best idea. She aims to eat small and healthy meals every 2 hours. Mouni believes that such diet plan speeds up metabolism and aids natural fat burning potential of the body. She also drinks a lot of water throughout the day. She aims to drink about 8 to 10 glasses of water every day.
Mouni Roy Favorite Things
- Food – Khichdi, Mishti Doi Matka, and Labra
- Dance Form – Ballet
- Song – Lag Jaa Gale from Woh Kaun Thi
- Places – London, Scotland, Paris
- Dessert – Rosogolla, Paayesh
- Novelist – Jane Austen
- Literary Characters – Christine Daae of The Phantom of the Opera, Dominique from Ayn Rand’s The Fountainhead
- Cuisine – Chinese
- Fast Food Joint – Galaxy China
- Restaurant – Mainland China
Source – What She Likes, MSN, Telegraph India, FilmiBeat.com
Mouni Roy Facts
- She is a classically trained Kathak dancer.
- In January 2018, it was announced that she will play the role of antagonist in the movie, Brahmastra, with Ranbir Kapoor and Alia Bhatt in the lead roles.
- During her college days, she used to work as a choreographer.
- Mouni Roy considers her father as her role model.
- She is fond of reading and always carries a novel while traveling.
- Mouni’s best friend in the TV industry is actress Sanjeeda Sheikh.
- In 2008, she participated in the dance reality show Zara Nachke Dikha.
- Mouni has zero tolerance for people with double standards and according to her, honesty is the best trait in a person.
- She has 2 pet dogs named Nawab and Rani.
- When she has some spare time on her hands, she likes to do drawing and sketching.
- When Ekta Kapoor cast her in Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi, she felt that Mouni had the raw appeal to follow in the footsteps of Smriti Irani.
- Follow her on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Featured Image by Bollywood Hungama / www.bollywoodhungama.com / CC BY-3.0