|Rajkummar Rao Quick Info
|5 ft 7 in
|Date of Birth
|August 31, 1984
Rajkummar Rao is an Indian actor who is best known for portraying roles such as Shamshad Alam in Gangs of Wasseypur 2, Shahid Azmi in Shahid, Vijay in Queen, and IAS Satyendra Mishra in Shaadi Mein Zaroor Aana. He has also appeared in a variety of other shows and films such as Ragini MMS, Kai Po Che!, CityLights, Hamari Adhuri Kahani, Trapped, Bareilly Ki Barfi, Behen Hogi Teri, Ek Ladki Ko Dekha Toh Aisa Laga, Badhaai Do, The White Tiger, Bose: Dead/Alive, and many more. For his acting skills, Rajkummar has been awarded numerous awards such as the Asia Pacific Screen Awards, Filmfare Awards, GQ Men of the Year Awards, National Film Awards, and Star Screen Awards.
Raj Kumar Yadav
Rajkummar, Rao, Raj, Raju
Gurgaon, Haryana, India
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Rajkummar completed his schooling from Sh. S. N. Sidheshwar Public School and then completed his bachelor’s degree in Arts from Atma Ram Sanatan Dharma College (ARSD)–University of Delhi while also pursuing his passion for theatre.
He graduated from the Film and Television Institute of India in Pune.
- Father – Satya Prakash Yadav (Was a government official) (Died in 2019)
- Mother – Kamlesh Yadav (Homemaker) (Died in 2016)
- Siblings – He has 2 older siblings.
- Others – He has 3 cousins.
5 ft 7 in or 170 cm
68 kg or 150 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Rajkummar has dated –
- Patralekha Paul (2010-Present) – Actress Patralekha Paul was also Rao’s co-star in the film Citylights whom he met when the two were studying at the Film and Television Institute of India. They began dating in 2010. The two are very much in love and are regularly seen together at events and social gatherings. The duo was even spotted vacationing in Thailand in December 2017 and Rajkummar even posted pictures of it on his Instagram. They got engaged on November 13, 2021, in Chandigarh in a pre-wedding celebration. On November 14, 2021, the couple got married.
Race / Ethnicity
Rajkummar belongs to the Yadav community in Northern India.
- His smile
- His innocent face
Rajkummar has done endorsement work for the following brands –
- Titan Celestial Time
- Cadbury Glow
In the past, he has served as the brand ambassador for Actimaxx and Seventh Street.
Best Known For
Being an established actor in the Bollywood film industry with his fine and versatile acting skills which have helped him bag the National Film Award, Filmfare Award, and an Asia Pacific Screen Award.
Rajkummar made his theatrical film debut in the mystery-drama movie Rann where he played the role of a news reporter in 2010.
First TV Show
Rajkummar made his television show debut on the comedy series Comedy Nights with Kapil as himself in 2014.
Rajkummar is known for his slim and slender body. For his role in Bose, he gained 12 kg which he eventually had to lose.
His workout regime was intense and he skipped his breakfast and lunch and directly had dinner which was protein-rich after an intense workout of 3 hours which mainly consisted of cardio and muscle strengthening and building exercises.
He always maintains a healthy lifestyle and it is of prime importance to him.
Rajkummar Rao Favorite Things
- Movie – The Godfather
- City – New York, Amsterdam
- Night Spot – His Home
- Band – Coldplay
- Cuisine – Italian, Indian
- Romantic Film – Blue Valentine, The Notebook, Dil Se
Rajkummar Rao Facts
- He wanted to become an actor after watching Shahrukh Khan in Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge and is in love with cinema since the age of 13.
- In 2014, he changed his surname from Yadav to Rao and added an extra ‘m’ to his name.
- He is trained in taekwondo.
- In 2014, he was included in Forbes India‘s “30 Under 30” list.
- In 2017, he was declared as “India’s Hottest Vegetarian Celebrity” by People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA).
- He was born in a middle-class family and pursued theatre at Shri Ram Centre for Performing Arts and later at the Kshitij Theatre Repertory after he completed his studies.
- For the web series Bose: Dead/Alive, Rao had to gain 12 kgs of weight and also shave off some part of his head to portray the role of Subhash Chandra Bose.
- Rajkummar Rao is a vegetarian.
- In July 2022, Rao revealed that at one time, he had INR 18 left in his bank account. He was surviving on one Parle-G packet a day when he had shifted to Mumbai to become an actor. However, some of his friends from film school helped him financially. He never had any alternate career option in his mind apart from being an actor.
- In July 2022, he and Patralekha had purchased a 3456 sq ft triplex apartment (on the 14th, 15th, and 16th floors) in Juhu, Mumbai for nearly INR 44 crore from actress Janhvi Kapoor. INR 2.19 crore was paid in stamp duty by Rao and Patralekha.
- In January 2023, Rajkummar and Nora Fatehi were featured in the music video of B Praak‘s song, Achha Sila Diya (a remake of the 90s popular track Accha Sila Diya Tune Mere Pyaar Ka by Sonu Nigam).
- In 2023, the Election Commission of India appointed him as the “national icon”.
Featured Image by Maximilian Bühn / Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 4.0