|Nitin Gadkari Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 6 in|
|Date of Birth||May 27, 1957|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Nitin Gadkari is an Indian politician who has served as the Minister for Road Transport & Highways in the Government of India. Prior to that, he served as the President of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) from 2009 to 2013. Often referred to as the “Expressway Man of India”, he has been recognized as the “pioneer of public–private partnership (PPP) in the road sector in India” by the World Economic Forum.
Nitin Jairam Gadkari
Nagpur, Bombay State (present Maharashtra), India
Nitin Gadkari enrolled at Nagpur University (later known as Rashtrasant Tukadoji Maharaj Nagpur University (RTMNU)) and completed his M.Com. and LL.B. In addition to that, he also attended Swami Ramanand Teerth Marathwada University (SRTMU).
- Father – Jairam Gadkari (Farmer)
- Mother – Bhanutai Gadkari
- Siblings – Manisha Kishor Totade (Sister)
- Others – Rutuja Pathak (Daughter-In-Law, Nikhil’s Wife), Madhura Rodi (Daughter-In-Law, Sarang’s Wife)
5 ft 6 in or 167.5 cm
85 kg or 187.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Nitin Gadkari has dated –
- Kanchan Gadkari – He is married to Kanchan Gadkari and the duo has been blessed with 3 children – 2 sons named Nikhil Gadkari and Sarang Gadkari and a daughter named Ketki Gadkari.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Marathi descent.
Salt and Pepper
Sports a mustache
Nitin Gadkari Facts
- During his young years, he worked for the Bharatiya Janata Yuva Morcha (the youth wing of BJP) and Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (a right-wing all-India student organization affiliated with the Hindu nationalist organization Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS)).
- From 1995 to 1999, Nitin Gadkari served as the minister of the Public Works Department (PWD) of the Government of Maharashtra.
- After he was appointed as the Chairman of the National Rural Road Development Committee by the Union Government, he submitted his report to the central government and gave the presentation to Atal Bihari Vajpayee (then Prime Minister of India). The report became instrumental in the launch of the Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana (a nationwide plan in India to provide good all-weather road connectivity to unconnected villages) in 2000.
- In December 2009, Nitin Gadkari was appointed the president of the BJP and he resigned from the position in January 2013.
- A 7-year-old girl named Yogita Thakre was found dead in a car allegedly owned by Nitin Gadkari in 2009. The vehicle was parked near Gadkari’s home and the late girl’s body had bruises all over the body. Reportedly, Maharashtra’s Criminal Investigation Department (CID) tried twice to close the case but was rejected by local courts. Afterward, Gadkari’s employees claimed that the girl had accidentally locked herself in the boot of the car and had subsequently died of suffocation. However, the girl’s mother alleged that her child was murdered and even her post-mortem report stated that she was smothered to death.
- Nitin Gadkari contested the 2014 Lok Sabha election from the Nagpur constituency and emerged as the winner by defeating Congress party candidate Vilas Muttemwar by a margin of 285,000 votes. He again retained his position in 2019 after defeating Nana Patole of the Congress party by a 216,000 margin.
- In May 2014, he was appointed as the Minister of Road Transport and Highways and Minister of Shipping.
- Nitin Gadkari was caught in a controversy in August 2019 after he stated that he had advised the then Union Finance Minister to sack the RBI Governor because the latter was inflexible and adamant.
- His family follows vegetarianism.
Featured Image by Nitin Gadkari / E-mail / Public Domain