|Obed McCoy Quick Info
|6 ft 2 in
|Date of Birth
|January 4, 1997
Obed McCoy is a Saint Vincentian professional cricketer who has represented the West Indies in the shorter formats of the sport (ODIs and T20Is), as a frontline pace bowler. Before breaking into the senior national team in October 2018, he was an integral member of the West Indian squad that won the 2016 Under-19 ICC Cricket World Cup, the first time that the West Indies had won that title. In the Caribbean domestic circuit, he has played for Windward Islands (2017–Present) across all 3 formats. In franchise-based T20 leagues, he has turned out for St. Lucia Kings (2017–2022) in the CPL (Caribbean Premier League); Rajasthan Royals (2022-Present) in the IPL (Indian Premier League); Multan Sultans (2021) in the PSL (Pakistan Super League); and Fortune Barishal in the BPL (Bangladesh Premier League). A rare occurrence in modern cricket, Obed has also played domestic cricket outside of his home country representing Sussex County Cricket Club (2022) in England.
Obed Christopher McCoy
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
- 61 – One Day International (ODI), T20 International (T20I)
- 68 – Rajasthan Royals (IPL), Sussex County Cricket Club (English Domestic Cricket)
6 ft 2 in or 188 cm
82 kg or 181 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Afro-Saint Vincentian descent.
- Toned physique
- Short-cropped, afro hair
- Affable smile
- Sports a rugged beard
Obed McCoy Facts
- In June 2018, Obed was selected in the squad of a representative ‘West Indies B’ team that participated as the 6th team in the inaugural edition of the Global T20 Canada. He played a vital role in the team’s run to the final of the tournament, recording 11 dismissals in 7 matches. He was the team’s leading wicket-taker in the tournament.
- In June 2022, in his very first appearance for Sussex County Cricket Club, in a T20 match against Somerset County Cricket Club, he recorded the first 5-wicket haul of his T20 career.
- In August 2022, in the 2nd match of the West Indies’ 5-match home bilateral T20I series against India, Obed stunned the visitors by recording career-best bowling figures of 6/17 in 4 overs. These were the then-best bowling figures by a player representing the West Indies in a T20I match. These were also the then-best bowling figures against India in the T20I format. As of mid-August 2022, this was the 7th-best bowling performance in the history of T20Is.
- This ‘Player of the Match’ performance from Obed had helped the West Indies win the match by 5 wickets and level the series at 1-1. This match would also be remembered for a highly unusual occurrence – the start of the match was delayed by 3 hours due to delays in bringing the teams’ luggage from Trinidad (the venue for the first match of the series) to St. Kitts (the venue for this match).
- Just a few days later, in the 4th match of the series, the sport of cricket once again proved to the world why it is referred to as ‘the game of glorious uncertainties’. Obed, the hero for the West Indies just 2 matches ago, was tonked for 66 runs in his 4 overs. These were the then most expensive bowling figures by a player representing the West Indies in the T20I format. As of mid-August 2022, this was the joint 6th-worst bowling performance in the history of T20Is. India went on to hammer the West Indies by 59 runs in that game to take an unassailable 3-1 lead in the series.
Featured Image by Obed McCoy / Instagram