|Octavia Spencer Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 2 in|
|Date of Birth||May 25, 1970|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Octavia Lenora Spencer
Octavia L. Spencer
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
In 1988, Octavia Spencer completed her studies from the Jefferson Davis High School in Montgomery, Alabama.
From 1988 to 1989, she studied drama at the Auburn University at Montgomery. Spencer got her Liberal Arts bachelor’s degree from the university.
- Mother – Dellsena Spencer (Maid)
- Siblings – Rosa Spencer (Sister), Areka Spencer (Sister)
She is represented by –
- William Morris Endeavor Entertainment
- Viewpoint, Inc.
5 ft 2 in or 157 cm
66 kg or 145.5 pounds
Race / Ethnicity
- Her gap-toothed smile
- Friendly demeanor
39-30-40 in or 99-76-102 cm
14 (US) or 46 (EU)
8 (US) or 38 (EU)
In 2013, she did a television commercial for weight loss products called Sensa Products Inc.
In 2003, she was seen in a Subway commercial.
Best Known For
Octavia gained popularity as Minny Jackson in The Help (2011) and won many awards for the film.
Some of Octavia’s other best-known movies include Smashed (2012), Snowpiercer (2013), Fruitvale Station (2013), Get on Up (2014), Black or White (2015), The Divergent Series: Insurgent (2015) and Zootopia (2016).
Her first film was Joel Schumacher‘s 1996 crime drama movie A Time to Kill which was based on John Grisham’s book by the same title. She played Roark’s nurse in the movie.
First TV Show
Spencer’s television debut occurred when she appeared in 1998 in the TV series ER‘s Episode 7 of Season 5. She portrayed the character of Maria Jones in the series.
First Stage Appearance
Her debut on the stage was in 2003 in Del Shores’ play, The Trials and Tribulations of a Trailer Trash Housewife that was held in Los Angeles. She starred opposite Beth Grant.
In 2013, her first book titled Randi Rhodes Ninja Detective – The Case of the Time-Capsule Bandit was published by Simon & Schuster.
In one of her interviews, she said that she was into walking as that was something she could do anywhere. She tried a personal trainer for some time and also gave a chance to yoga but it was not helpful. Pilates is another exercise she found fit for her.
She lost a major chunk of her weight with a weight loss product called Sensa. At the time, she did not do any dieting or saw drastic results.
As for her diet, she avoids fried foods. If Octavia plans on eating a hamburger, she only eats the bottom bun and that too without any cheese or mayonnaise. She believes in eating everything within limits.
Octavia Spencer Favorite Things
- Actress – Oprah Winfrey
- Actor – Denzel Washington
- Director – Steven Spielberg
- Food – Collard greens or butter beans, black-eyed peas, cornbread
- TV Shows – Scandal, Modern Family, American Horror Story
Octavia Spencer Facts
- When she was 19-year-old, Spencer interned on the sets of a Whoopi Goldberg movie titled The Long Walk Home (1990).
- The actress was listed amongst the 25 Funniest Actresses in Hollywood by Entertainment Weekly in April 2009.
- She is among the 11 actresses who have won an Academy Award, Critic’s Choice Award, BAFTA, Golden Globe and a Screen Actors in one year. Octavia won the awards for her 2011 movie The Help.
- She ranks among the 7 African-American actresses who have won an Academy Award in a competitive category.
- Octavia is good friends with American actress Melissa McCarthy.
- She has portrayed the character of a nurse over 16 times from 1996 to 2013.
- The actress got an invitation to join the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences in June 2012.
- In 2014, Octavia Spencer got awarded $940,000 after winning a legal suit that she had filed against Sensa Products, Inc. for not paying her for an advertisement.
- Octavia has stage fright.
- She lent her voice to the character of Mrs. Otterton in Disney’s 2016 movie Zootopia.