|Olly Alexander Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 9 in|
|Date of Birth||July 15, 1990|
Oliver Alexander Thornton
Yorkshire, England, United Kingdom
Olly Alexander got his early education from St John’s Primary School in Coleford.
He then got enrolled in Monmouth Comprehensive School. But later dropped out to study performing Arts at Hereford College of Arts. He dropped out from this one as well to focus on his acting career.
Singer, songwriter, actor
- Mother – Vicki Thornton (Founder of Coleford Music Festival)
- Siblings – He has an older brother.
Curtis Brown Group Ltd.
Synthpop, Indie pop, Electronica
Vocals, Keyboard, Synthesizer
Polydor Records, Kitsuné Records
5 ft 9 in or 175 cm (Approx)
66 kg or 145.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Girlfriend / Spouse
Olly Alexander has dated –
- Neil Amin-Smith (2014-2015) – Olly Alexander started dating ex-Clean Bandit’s violinist Neil Amin-Smith in the start of 2015. They were pretty vocal about their relationship and in an interview with Capital FM, Smith opened about their desire to set an example for young LGBT couples. Then in September 2015, they kissed onstage at the U.K. festival Jersey Live.
Race / Ethnicity
- Curly hair
- Wears nose ring
Best Known For
- Being the lead singer of the band Years and Years.
- Being one of the leading English LGBT activists.
Olly Alexander as a lead singer of band Years and Years released the debut studio album Communion in July 2015.
It went #1 in UK and Irish music charts. The band managed to sell 1 million album copies worldwide.
Olly Alexander made his first theatrical film appearance in the 2009 biographical fiction drama film Bright Star as Tom Keats.
First TV Show
Olly made his TV show debut with ITV’s detective drama Lewis as Hayden Wishart in 2009.
Olly Alexander Favorite Things
- Singers / Bands – FKA Twigs, Jungle, Kalala, Tink, Beyonce, Jeff Buckley
- Writers – Milan Kundera, Haruki Murakami, Margaret Atwood
Source – Nylon.com, Standard.co.uk
Olly Alexander Facts
- When Olly was 13, his parents got separated.
- Olly Alexander struggled with an eating disorder at the age of 10. However, he has overcome the disorder with the help of therapy.
- When he first auditioned for a role in God Help the Girl, he was turned by the management because he was too young. He auditioned again a couple of years later and was selected.
- At the second audition for God Help the Girl, he performed a song he had written at the age of 10 while on a camping holiday.
- Olly has been very open about his depression, anxiety, and mental problems.
- To pursue an acting career, he moved to London at the age of 17 and worked in Rokit vintage clothing store and also as a waiter for financial stability.
- He was often bullied in his school days for being gay and is currently associated with several LGBT charities and support groups.
- In 2015, he lashed out at the NHS as they decided to stop the production of a drug that was more efficient in HIV prevention.
- In November 2016, he did a cover of Joni Mitchell’s ‘Both Sides Now’ in support of UK charity CALM’s Torch Songs campaign, which highlighted music’s healing power.