|Prem Chopra Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 11 in|
|Date of Birth||September 23, 1935|
Prem Chopra is an Indian actor who rose to popularity by playing villainous roles in films like Upkar (1967), Woh Kaun Thi (1964), Purab Aur Paschim (1970), Do Raaste (1969), Kati Patang (1970), Do Anjaane (1976), Jaadu Tona (1977), Kala Sona (1975), Dostana (1980), Kranti (1981), Jaanwar (1982), Phool Bane Angaarey (1991), Teesri Manzil (1966), among many others.
Lahore, Punjab, British India
Chopra was educated at S.D. Senior Secondary School in Shimla. Moreover, he completed his college education at Panjab University.
- Father – Ranbir Lal (Government Servant)
- Mother – Rooprani Chopra
- Siblings – Anju Chopra (Younger Sister), Kailash Chopra (Producer, Actor), Brahm Chopra (Brother), Vishwa Chopra (Brother), Ravindra Chopra (Brother)
- Others – Rahul Nanda (Son-in-law) (Rakita’s Husband) (Film Publicity Designer), Sharman Joshi (Son-in-law) (Prerna’s Husband) (Actor, Television Presenter), Vikas Bhalla (Son-in-law) (Punita’s Husband) (Singer, Television Actor), Prem Nath (Brother-in-law) (Actor, Director), Rajendranath (Brother-in-law) (Actor, Comedian), Narendra Nath (Brother-in-law) (Actor), Raj Kapoor (Cousin-in-law) (Actor, Director, Producer), Krishna Kapoor (Sister-in-law)
Prem Chopra’s net worth was $50 million according to CelebrityNetWorth.com.
5 ft 11 in or 180.5 cm
66 kg or 145.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Prem Chopra has dated –
- Uma Malhotra (1969-Present) – The Shaheed (1965) actor tied the knot with the costume designer Uma Malhotra in 1969. The couple is parents to 3 daughters named Rakita Chopra, Punita Chopra, and Prerna Chopra.
Race / Ethnicity
- He sports a bald look.
- His signature catchphrase, “Prem Naam Hai Mera, Prem Chopra”
- Squeaking laughter while essaying villainous characters
- Mole on the side of his face
Prem Chopra Favorite Things
- Actors – Ashok Kumar, Balraj Sahni, Dilip Kumar, Pran, Rajesh Khanna, Shashi Kapoor
Source – IMDb
Prem Chopra Facts
- He made his acting debut with the Punjabi film called Chaudhari Karnail Singh (1960), in which he played the lead role. The film was a box-office success and even bagged the National Film Award for ‘Best Punjabi Film’ in 1961.
- In April 2014, his daughter Rakita Nanda published his biography titled Prem Naam Hai Mera, Prem Chopra.
- He collaborated with India’s first superstar Rajesh Khanna in 19 films starting from 1969 until 1991. Out of them 15 films like Doli (1969), Kati Patang (1971), Prem Nagar (1974), Do Raaste (1969), Ajanabee (1974), Maha Chor (1976), Mehbooba (1976), etc. became box-office hits. The two remained close friends until Khanna’s death in 2012.
- His frequent co-star Manoj Kumar once revealed that Chopra had the habit of writing down his dialogues in Urdu so that he could remember them better.
- His father’s dream for him was that he should become either a doctor or an Indian Administrative Services Officer (IAS Officer).
- Before making it big in Bollywood, Chopra worked in the circulation department of The Times of India. Moreover, he continued working for TOI even after his films became box-office hits. He only quit his job in 1967 after the success of Upkar, which was directed by Manoj Kumar.
- He owns a large collection of caps which he has picked up from all over the world, including places like Australia, Fiji, and Jamaica.
Featured Image by Ministry of Information & Broadcasting (GODL-India) / PibPhoto.nic.in