|Raj Kapoor Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 7 in|
|Date of Birth||December 14, 1924|
|Date of Death||June 2, 1988|
Raj Kapoor was an Indian actor, film director, and producer who gained acclaim with his work in Hindi cinema and is considered one of the greatest and most influential Bollywood actors and filmmakers. His film credits include Mera Naam Joker, Neel Kamal, Dil Ki Rani, Awaara, Jan Pahechan, Bawre Nain, Boot Polish, Shree 420, Chori Chori, Jagte Raho, Phir Subah Hogi, Main Nashe Mein Hoon, Char Dil Char Rahen, Jis Desh Men Ganga Behti Hai, Sangam, Dil Hi To Hai, Sapno Ka Saudagar, Around the World, Kal Aaj Aur Kal, Mera Desh Mera Dharam, Do Jasoos, Chandi Sona, and others.
Shrishti Nath Kapoor
Raj Kapoor, Ranbir Raj Kapoor, The Showman, The Greatest Show Man of Indian Cinema, Charlie Chaplin of Indian Cinema, Raj Sahab
He was born on December 14, 1924.
On June 2, 1988, Raj Kapoor died at the age of 63 from complications related to asthma in New Delhi, Delhi, India.
Peshawar, North-West Frontier Province, British India (present-day Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Pakistan)
Raj Kapoor studied at Colonel Brown Cambridge School in Dera Doon, St Xavier’s Collegiate School in Calcutta, and Campion School in Bombay.
Actor, Producer, Director
- Father – Prithviraj Kapoor (b. Prithvinath Kapoor) (November 3, 1906 – May 29, 1972) (Regarded as one of the founding figures of Hindi cinema)
- Mother – Ramsarni Mehra
- Siblings – Shammi Kapoor (b. Shamsher Raj Kapoor) (October 21, 1931 – August 14, 2011) (Younger Brother) (Actor), Shashi Kapoor (b. Balbir Raj Kapoor) (March 18, 1938 – December 4, 2017) (Younger Brother) (Actor, Producer), Urmila Sial (Younger Sister), Devinder (called Devi) (Younger Sister) (Died of double pneumonia), Ravinder (called Binder or Bindie) (Younger Brother) (Died of poisoning in a freak incident when he swallowed rat-poison pills strewn in the garden)
- Others – Basheshwarnath Kapoor (Paternal Grandfather) (A police officer in the Indian Imperial Police posted in the city of Peshawar), Trilok Kapoor (Paternal Uncle) (Actor), Jugal Kishore Mehra (Maternal Uncle), Rajendra Nath Malhotra (Maternal Uncle) (Actor, Comedian), Prem Nath Malhotra (better known as Prem Nath) (Maternal Uncle) (Actor), Narendra Nath (Maternal Uncle) (Actor), Uma (Maternal Aunt), Aditya Raj Kapoor (Nephew) (Actor, Filmmaker, Retired Businessperson), Kanchan (Niece), Kunal Kapoor (Nephew) (Actor, Producer, Director, Advertisement Maker), Karan Kapoor (Nephew) (Photographer, Actor, Model), Sanjana Thapar (Niece) (Former Film Actor, Theatre Artist), Prem Krishen (Cousin) (Actor, Producer), Kailash Nath (Monty) (Cousin)
5 ft 7 in or 170 cm
74 kg or 163 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Raj Kapoor had dated –
- Krishna Malhotra (1946-1988) – He got married to Krishna Malhotra on May 12, 1946, and the news of their marriage was reported in the cine-magazine Filmindia June 1946 issue as, “Raj Kapoor, the talented and versatile son of Prithviraj Kapoor ended his career of wild oats by marrying Miss Krishna Malhotra in the second week of May at Rewa, Madhya Pradesh”. They had 5 children – 3 sons named Randhir Kapoor (b. 1947), Rishi Kapoor (1952-2020), and Rajiv Kapoor (1962-2021) and 2 daughters named Ritu Nanda (1949-2020) and Rima Jain (b. 1955). The couple’s grandchildren include Karisma Kapoor, Kareena Kapoor, and Ranbir Kapoor.
Race / Ethnicity
Salt and Pepper
- Frequently played Tramp like individuals
- An exceptionally calm and sweet voice on-screen
Raj Kapoor Favorite Things
- His Own Film – Mera Naam Joker (1970)
Source – IMDb
Raj Kapoor Facts
- He co-starred as Raju in the 1970 Hindi romance drama film Mera Naam Joker which became a cult classic. It is regarded as one of Kapoor’s finest works and has been labeled as a “misunderstood masterpiece”.
- The Government of India honored Raj Kapoor with the Padma Bhushan (the 3rd-highest civilian award in the Republic of India) in 1971 and the Dadasaheb Phalke Award (India’s highest award in the field of cinema) in 1987.
- It was announced in 2011 that Raj Kapoor will be inducted into the Brampton Walk of Fame in Ontario, Canada.
Featured Image by Wikipedia / Wikipedia / CC BY-SA 3.0