|Psy Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 7 in|
|Date of Birth||December 31, 1977|
Psy is a South Korean singer, rapper, songwriter, and record producer who rose to international acclaim with his hit single Gangnam Style, which debuted at number #1 on South Korea’s Gaon Chart. Known for his humorous videos and stage performances, Psy’s discography consists of albums and songs such as Psy from the Psycho World!, PsyFive, Chiljip Psy-da, Ssajib, Ssa2, 4X2=8, 3 Mai, Ring For Me Once Again (ft. Kim Jang-hoon), Korea, Thank You (ft. Seo In-Young), Oppa Is Just My Style (with Hyuna), Gentleman, Hangover (ft. Snoop Dogg), New Face, Father (ft. Lang Lang), Napal Baji, I Luv It, and Right Now. In addition to that, Psy has also been a part of shows and movies like Heroes of Remix, Beautiful Days, Wet Dreams, Loud, Emergency Act 19, and From Vegas to Macau III.
Gangnam District, Seoul, South Korea
Psy has studied at the Banpo Elementary and Middle Schools. He was later enrolled at the Sehwa High School.
He also got enrolled at Boston University in 1996 to study business administration. However, he soon lost interest in his studies and dropped out after studying for one semester.
Later, he took classes at the Berklee College of Music.
Singer, songwriter, record producer, rapper
- Father – Park Won-Ho (Executive Producer of DI Corporation, producer of semiconductor manufacturing equipment)
- Mother – Kim Young-hee (Owned Restaurants in Gangnam District)
- Siblings – Park Jae-eun (Sister)
Psy has been represented by –
- William Morris Endeavor Entertainment, Talent and Literary Agency, Beverly Hills, California, United States
- YG Entertainment, Inc., Seoul, South Korea
K-pop, hip hop
Bidman, LNLT Entertainment, YG Entertainment, YGEX, Avex Trax, Republic, Schoolboy Records, P Nation
His net worth had been $60 Million according to CelebrityNetWorth.com.
5 ft 7 in or 170 cm
82 kg or 181 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Psy has dated –
- Yoo Hye-yeon (2006-Present) – In October 2006, Psy got married to his girlfriend Yoo Hye-yeon. They had been dating for around three and a half years before their wedding. They had met through mutual friends. Over the course of their marriage, Yoo has given birth to twin daughters.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Korean descent.
- Often wears black sunglasses
- Loves to wear suits and tuxedos
Psy has appeared in a TV commercial for Wonderful Pistachios, which was broadcast on the eve of the 2013 Super Bowl.
He has also been cast in a series of TV adverts for the
- Korea Tourism Organization
- Shin Black Cup noodles
- Man’s balm from Man’s Care
Best Known For
The immense popularity of his single, Gangnam Style, which managed to gain a status of cult and viral hit across the whole world
In February 2001, he released his debut studio album, Psy from the Psycho World!
In 2002, Psy made his first film appearance in a South Korean sexual comedy movie, Wet Dreams in the role of Student-Teacher Seok-Goo.
First TV Show
In 2001, Psy made his TV show debut in the South Korean drama series, Beautiful Days.
Psy Favorite Things
- Food – Hot stone bibimbap, Kimchi stew
- Role Model – Freddie Mercury
- In his interview with CNN, he revealed that watching the British band Queen perform Bohemian Rhapsody at a Wembley Stadium concert at the age of 15 sparked his interest in music.
- In his teens, he had no plan to start a music career and was instead primed to lead DI Corporations like his father and was sent to Boston University to study for it. But he lost interest in his studies and used university fees money to buy musical instruments.
- He landed himself in trouble with the release of his debut studio album as he was slapped with a fine by the Korean government for including inappropriate content in the songs.
- He was the class clown.
- His second album, Sa 2 also landed him a controversy as civil groups complained that his album would have a negative impact on teenagers and children. It was banned from sale to those under 19 age group.
- He appeared as Himself in the 2002 satirical film Emergency Act 19.
- In 2003, he was due to serve in the South Korean military, which is mandatory for men of age from 18 to 35. However, he was exempt from military service as he was working with a Software Company.
- In 2007, he was dragged to court by state prosecutors for using a ruse of working at a software development company to avoid military service. It was alleged that he was instead holding concerts and working on his music.
- In October 2007, Seoul Administrative Court ordered Psy to be redrafted into military service. As a result, he served as a signalman and held the rank of Private First Class in the 52nd Army Infantry Division.
- In 2001, he was sentenced to a 25-day jail sentence for smoking and possession of marijuana. Due to his jail sentence, he was unable to be by his grandfather while he was on his deathbed and Psy wasn’t even able to attend his funeral.
- In December 2012, he had to apologize to American citizens and members of the US military after reports of him having used racial slurs and inflammatory language towards them on various occasions in past surfaced.
- In one of his old concerts, he lifted an American miniature tank and smashed it on the stage. He has performed at other anti-American concerts in the past as well.
- In February, he was subject to death threats after he had agreed to perform at a concert in Penang, Malaysia, which was organized by the then ruling party.
- He brought to life the character of Mr. Wong in the 2016 Hong Kong action comedy film From Vegas to Macau III, the 3rd and final installment of the From Vegas to Macau series.