|R.A. the Rugged Man Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 2½ in|
|Date of Birth||January 10, 1974|
R.A. the Rugged Man is an American rapper, musician, actor, producer, journalist, film critic, commentator, and writer. He was 12 years old when he started his musical pursuits and signed with Jive Records at age 18. Over the years, R.A. the Rugged Man has released albums, mixtapes, extended plays, and songs like Poor People, Legends Never Die, All My Heroes Are Dead, Ruff Rugged & Raw, Murderous Verses, Bloodshed Hua Hoo, Posse Cut (ft. Hell Razah, JoJo Pellegrino, Remedy, and Blaq Poet), Supah, Bloody Axe, and Die, Rugged Man, Die. He has also worked with artists like Mobb Deep, Wu-Tang Clan, Kool G Rap, Notorious B.I.G., Erick Sermon, Trackmasters, and DJ Quik.
R.A. the Rugged Man, R.A. Thorburn, Crustified Dibbs
Suffolk County, New York, United States
Rapper, Musician, Actor, Producer, Journalist, Film Critic, Commentator, Writer
- Father – Staff Sgt. John A. Thorburn (Vietnam Veteran affected by Agent Orange) (Died of cancer on January 7, 2010)
- Siblings – Maxx (Brother) (Was born handicapped and blind and eventually died at the age of 10), Dee Ann (Sister) (Died in 2007 at the age of 26)
Nature Sounds Records, Ingrooves, Jive Records, Capitol Records, Priority Records
6 ft 2½ in or 189 cm
80 kg or 176.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Note – R.A. the Rugged Man has 2 children – a daughter named Ella (b. 2016) and a son named John A. Thorburn (b. 2017).
Race / Ethnicity
R.A. the Rugged Man is of German, Scottish, and Sicilian descent.
Sports a beard
R.A. the Rugged Man Facts
- His debut album titled Night of the Bloody Apes was shelved by Jive record and he later unofficially released it under the moniker “Crustified Dibbs”. The album included songs like You Ain’t Never Been Down, Bloody Axe, Bloody Body Parts in Da Fruit Punch Bowl, Back To The Rubber-Room, and Toolbox Murderer.
- Referring to R.A. the Rugged Man, The Notorious B.I.G. was quoted as saying, “And I thought I was the illest”.
- On November 16, 2004, Thorburn’s debut studio album named Die, Rugged Man, Die was released via Nature Sounds.
- His 2nd studio album Legends Never Die was released on April 30, 2013, and the album ranked at #1 on the US Billboard Heatseekers Albums chart, at #12 on the US Billboard Top Rap Albums chart, at #17 on the US Billboard Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums chart, and at #131 on the US Billboard 200 chart.
- R.A. the Rugged Man wrote and produced the black comedy horror film Bad Biology. It premiered at the 2008 Philadelphia Film Festival.
- His 3rd studio album All My Heroes Are Dead was released on April 17, 2020, via Nature Sounds and it features guest appearances from artists such as Ghostface Killah, Inspectah Deck, Kool G Rap, Ice-T, Chuck D, and others. The album peaked at #3 on the UK R&B Albums (OCC) chart, at #7 on the US Billboard Heatseekers Albums chart, and at #22 on the US Billboard Top Current Album Sales chart.
- R.A. the Rugged Man has written articles for many magazines including Vibe, King, Complex, Rides, XXL, Mass Appeal Magazine, and The Source.
Featured Image by The Come Up Show / Flickr / CC BY 2.0